ADDING UNITs TO C3C: Thorough Guide for the Newbie

Originally posted by gen.dragolen
Colonel,

I've been trying to do some work with the editor and found a couple of things out:
1 There is a limit (in the editor at least) of 349 units in C3C. That is as high as the unit numbers will go.

Good tip. Thanks!

2. It doesn't seem to like any changes to the default units.pcx

What's the "units.pcx"?

Originally posted by ShotgunDave
I've been playing this bloody game since 01, didn't even know you could modify it(i'm computer illiterate), now two days later I've got an entire scenario with all new units. Thanks Colonel

Hey thanks, Dave. I like to hear about testimonials like that. :)

--CK

Colonel,

My fingers were ignoring my brain again: "units_32.pcx"

Gotta quit trying to do 3 things at once, especially if one of those things is type and the other is think. I'm not that good a juggler.

D.

Originally posted by gen.dragolen

I've been trying to do some work with the editor and found a couple of things out:
1 There is a limit (in the editor at least) of 349 units in C3C. That is as high as the unit numbers will go.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Are you talking about CivIII vanilla version? Which patch version?

I have CivIII vanilla, patch 1.29f and I am allowed a total of 294 units (o - 293) to the bic file.

There are so many great units out there that I really would like to add as many as possible.

Okay. I accidently answered my own question.

The number of units that can be aded to CivIII vanilla is limited only by the size of the units_32 file.

I feel much better now. :D

I tested Zulu's mega units_32 which has 3,360 spaces and that was my limiy in Civ3Edit.

I want planes to get captured when I conquer a city. Just couldn't figure out how to do it. Artillery can be captured, so where and how can I decide what other units can be captured?

Originally posted by Nathan18
I want planes to get captured when I conquer a city. Just couldn't figure out how to do it. Artillery can be captured, so where and how can I decide what other units can be captured?

IIRC, units with a defense of 0 can be captured.

An update to the tutorial has been posted. I added a section about testing your new unit. I've recently received (and seen on these forums) a couple of questions about that.

Thanks,

CK

Oh Mighty Colonel;

I've been trying to follow several tutorials for adding units to C3C but I keep getting the same lousy results (so I'm probably doing the same thing wrong each time!).
The tutorials I've followed are yours and one from a site called GIDustin. Both seem clear, but I can't get it to work.

When I try to add a Horse Artillery unit to the Napoleonic scenario the game crashes when I build the new unit. Plays fine up til then, but first HA unit and CRASH!

The error message says: "Scenarios\..\conquests\Napoleonic Europe\text\Pediaicons.txt ANIMNAME_PRTO_Horse_Artillery"
It doesn't matter which method I use, same result.

When I tried to add a Waffen SS unit to a new scenario the game crashed the second I tried to change the production or to access the city screen. Usual windows message about attempting to perform and illegal operation.

I have been programming in C++ and VB for two years now, so I can't believe that I can't get this &*%$ thing to work! :eek:

Any suggestions for me?

In the napoleonic Europe\Text\PediaIcons.txt, you have to add the animation name. Something like:

#ANIMNAME_PRTO_Horse_Artillery
Horse Artillery

Make sure that the second line is the exact same as the folder containing the unit animations. Then, make sure that the folder containinf the unit animations is in the "Napoleonic Europe\Art\Units" folder.

- GIDustin

I'd just like to say thank you, Colonel Kraken! I've been trying to figure out unit adding since the VERY early days of Civ3... Dang .ini files >.> Anyways, Thank you so much! I now have my greatly loved scenario working! I'm so ecstatic! ^^ You rule!

The zipped readme download is giving me error messages when I try to open it. (Not avalid zip file)???
Is that the most up to date info? Or should I print the forum entries on page 1?

Originally posted by Birdjaguar
The zipped readme download is giving me error messages when I try to open it. (Not avalid zip file)???
Is that the most up to date info? Or should I print the forum entries on page 1?

I do not believe I have a readme for download. :confused:

OooooKkkkk, I guess I have an over active imagination. Moving right along... is there a simple way to combine the unit files from Rise of rome and Mesopotamia conquests so they both can be used in thesame game?

Edit later in the day:

CK:
I downloaded a unit: Woad Raider and have loaded it into a Conquests scenario called “Europe to India”
In the editor the unit is called: Woad Warrior
civilopedia entry: PRTO_Woad _Warrior

pediaicons.txt entries:

#ICON_PRTO_Woad_Warrior
art\civilopedia\icons\units\WoadRaiderAoK_Large.pcx
art\civilopedia\icons\units\WoadRaiderAoK_Small.pcx

#ANIMNAME_PRTO_Woad_Warrior
WoadRaider

Unit folder:
Conquests\scenario\Europe to India\art\units\WoadRaider\
WoadRaider.ini
Several .flc files

Scenario properties, Search folders:
Europe to India\

Testing:
Game launches fine. When I shift F1 and select Woad Warrior I get:
Error message:
“missing entry: scenario\Europe to India\text\pediaicons.txt: ANIMNAME_PRTO_Woad_Warrior

Can you spot the error?

Originally posted by Birdjaguar

Can you spot the error?

No, I really can't. The only thing I can think of is that it is not reading your scenario. In that case, you would get the same error. Make sure you biq file is separate from your scenario folder, but both in "Scenarios".

Let me know,

CK

I rechecked everything and it all seemed fine. I also ran the scenario and produced the fire catapult whose unit folder is next to the Woad warrior folder. No problem there. I also tried producing the Woad Warrior differently in the queue. The crashes came but at different times: when auto changing to WW from a just produced spearman and when finished producing Woad warrior and had to show it in game. Same message. So I played it with England (only civ with this unit) as an AI; game crashed first turn. Same error. Not looking good. I opened each flc file in quicktime and all worked.

Then I added another unit: Spartan Hoplite. Followed tha same procedure, but gave it to Greece. All files in the same places as Woad Warrior. I played the game without England. Spartan Hoplite was built without a problem!!

It appears that the problem is with Woad Warrior and not more general, I can add units, good! Does this help you see what the problem with Woad Warrior might be?

It does seem the error is indicative of only that unit. At first that might lead me to believe there is something wrong with the flic files. However, the error message would indicate otherwise.

The only other thing I can think of is you have a space (which would be unseen) at the end of the name of the folder or ini or PRTO entry.

Sorry, I don't know what else to tell you.

--CK

Top Bottom