Affinity Quest bug fixed in Rising Tide

In the chat for the live stream, Firaxis has confirmed that the affinity quest bug has been fixed in Rising Tide (presumably that will carry over to base game patch as well).

YES!!!!

IIRC, it was related to them optimizing the quest system for multiplayer. Basically, they changed it so that player x doesn't get a new quest until player y completes his quest, which is okay for players but doesn't work in singleplayer as AI never actually complete quests at all.

IIRC, it was related to them optimizing the quest system for multiplayer. Basically, they changed it so that player x doesn't get a new quest until player y completes his quest, which is okay for players but doesn't work in singleplayer as AI never actually complete quests at all.

Close, the code is built so that affinity quests are assigned only when every faction is eligible to receive one (which depends on many conditions, but having completed the previous quest is not one), so they all receive a new affinity quest at the same time.

The problem is that AI are not supposed to be eligible for affinity quests ever and you can tell that simply by opening CivBEQuests.xml file, they are all marked as "IgnoredByAI".

The actual bug is that three affinity quests pass the check because the code checks the "ingoredByAI" tag using the wrong quest list (CivBEQuestManagement.xml instead of CivBEQuests.xml). It may be that the coders decided that this bug was a feature and left it at that, but we'll never know for sure.

So is it possible to access these quests currently? I'm quite intrigued to see what they might be.

You can access the quests now, but the bugged ones require to download a mod (I think it's Ryika's?) that fixes the bugs.

This is good news, as its is one of the big things that is killing the game for me

Is there any Let's play around that goes beyond turn 100 enough to get an affinity quest? It would be cool to have an actual confirmation that the quest system has been changed.

Nope. I think they go as far as turn 95 in one video.

They do seem to get a few new affinity-type quests, but early game.

Yeah I've just noticed a new starter affinity quest on Marbozir's video; this probably means they changed the affinity quest system because, as things are now, only the first 3 affinity quests on the list pass the check.
Unless they put the new quests on top of the list... but that's very unlikely. So it's 99% certain we'll get affinity quests back and hopefully without any kind of bugs this time. Also hopefully for the base game as well and not just with the expansion.

Is there any Let's play around that goes beyond turn 100 enough to get an affinity quest? It would be cool to have an actual confirmation that the quest system has been changed.

Quill18 played a game on quick to turn ~200 (contact victory). There are new affinity quests after turn 100 in addition to the old ones being back. He got a "homesick" quest about a guy wanting to go back to earth. He picked the option to send the guy home and got culture and purity points.

Quill18 played a game on quick to turn ~200 (contact victory). There are new affinity quests after turn 100 in addition to the old ones being back. He got a "homesick" quest about a guy wanting to go back to earth. He picked the option to send the guy home and got culture and purity points.

Haha, no way. Ok that's funny, i'm liking the new quests. So going to the alien world took 400+ years, he lived there for a few decades, then he wants to go back?? I supposed a ship with a single cryo pod is much smaller and cheaper than a whole seeding ship, with factories and machinery, thousand of settlers, a huge engine, etc, so the trip back may be possible with a much smaller rocket. Still! He left earth at 2250 AD and he's returning at 3050-3100 AD, what is he expecting to find there, his family and friends? Breathable atmosphere? Public healthcare and retirement system for all 25+ billion humans? :crazyeye:

Haha, no way. Ok that's funny, i'm liking the new quests. So going to the alien world took 400+ years, he lived there for a few decades, then he wants to go back?? I supposed a ship with a single cryo pod is much smaller and cheaper than a whole seeding ship, with factories and machinery, thousand of settlers, a huge engine, etc, so the trip back may be possible with a much smaller rocket. Still! He left earth at 2250 AD and he's returning at 3050-3100 AD, what is he expecting to find there, his family and friends? Breathable atmosphere? Public healthcare and retirement system for all 25+ billion humans? :crazyeye:

Armies of Robots emancipating people

Top Bottom