Affinity Quest bug fixed in Rising Tide

Hopefully they also fixed the late-game Affinity quests. As I recall some of them were also bugged -- I played an all-human game where I ended up with Supremacy's Ancillary Adams quest, which requires you to clear all forests in your territory. I actually put a lot of effort into doing that, but the quest was never completed.

Was it post patch? As far as I could tell Ancillary Adams was actually perfectly fixed in the patch.

Anyway from quill18's prelaunch game I've seen the Acclimation and Genetic Entanglement quests, which are advanced Harmony quests. So yeah, they fixed the quest system.
Now I'm just curious to know in which way exactly though.

Was it post patch? As far as I could tell Ancillary Adams was actually perfectly fixed in the patch.
Well, I've never seen that quest, in about 200 hours of mostly-supremacy play.
So I reckon it's probably not fixed.

Well, I've never seen that quest, in about 200 hours of mostly-supremacy play.
So I reckon it's probably not fixed.

^^ same here.

No wait :lol: The quest itself was fixed, but the code that manages quests was changed so that you would never get affinity quests (except for 3 starter quests) if AI are present.

Omniclast said he was playing an all-human game and if you do that you can in fact get advanced affinity quests even with the current messed up code.

Oh, interesting. I take back what I said earlier, I wouldn't necessarily class that as a bug then. Just sucks that it rules it out of AI games (as the AI is allowed most of the Affinity quests).

Which makes you wonder how the hell they can sometimes get Affinity so fast, haha. Some of the Quests were pretty damn good at getting you through the mid levels.

Which makes you wonder how the hell they can sometimes get Affinity so fast, haha. Some of the Quests were pretty damn good at getting you through the mid levels.
I assumed they just cheat.
That's how we code intelligent AI, right? Stupid AI with a bunch of unfair advantages?

(I don't even necessarily mean this pejoratively; just, this is the done thing in vidya)

Oh, interesting. I take back what I said earlier, I wouldn't necessarily class that as a bug then. Just sucks that it rules it out of AI games (as the AI is allowed most of the Affinity quests).

I wouldn't classify it as a bug but rather a gross oversight in game design. The code does what it is actually intended to do, but the designer didn't realize that it would prevent human players from getting affinity quests in solo games.

This mishap might have been caused by a bug that predates the patch, a bug that was completely harmless and non-influential before. It lets AI get 3 affinity quests (the starter ones that you must be familiar with), but AI are prevented from complete them and get the rewards anyway, because AI are not supposed to get affinity quests ever.

Whoever created the patch code probably tested it just for the first few turns in solo games, and mistakenly believed everything was all right, unaware that the reason he could still get affinity quests was because of a preexisting bug.

I wouldn't classify it as a bug but rather a gross oversight in game design. The code does what it is actually intended to do, but the designer didn't realize that it would prevent human players from getting affinity quests in solo games.

Wasn't it confirmed somewhere they left it intentionally broken for "balance" purposes? Maybe I'm crazy but I could have sworn somewhere the devs stated they were aware of it but weren't going to fix it until BE 2.0 (which ended up being BERT) to slow down player affinity progress in single player. Maybe that was just speculation and I was sleep deprived reading it or something, but I swear that was the case.

Players speculated about that, but as far as I know there was never official confirmationt.

Wasn't it confirmed somewhere they left it intentionally broken for "balance" purposes? Maybe I'm crazy but I could have sworn somewhere the devs stated they were aware of it but weren't going to fix it until BE 2.0 (which ended up being BERT) to slow down player affinity progress in single player. Maybe that was just speculation and I was sleep deprived reading it or something, but I swear that was the case.

There is another factor that makes me think otherwise, I said before that the bug that lets AI get 3 affinity quests was completely harmless, but it's not actually true.

The problem is that one of the aforementioned quests is dogmatic engineering a quest that makes a station pop near your cities (you must send a trade route to it to trigger it). Now this quest was built with the assumption that only human players could get it, it wasn't made to handle situations where the player doesn't have any cities at all.

However due to the staggered starts several AI can be in that situation, and even if they have yet to land, they still get the affinity quests they are not supposed to get.

The result was that the quest, not finding any cities for the intended faction, would pop the station near the cities of the first faction available, i.e. the human player.

This is how it happened that many players complained that too many stations popped around them right on the first few turns of the game claiming all the land around and preventing them from settling where they wanted.

That fact was reported and Firaxis addressed the issue. However rather than fixing the bug that lets the quest be assigned to AI (which only requires to change ONE line), they changed the code of dogmatic engineering itself, which was fine as it was.

Everything seems to hint that they forgot that the original code wasn't intended to let AI get affinity quests. Or rather I'm more inclined to think that whoever made the original code and the person who fixed it in the patch are different persons, and they didn't quite talk to each others.

Which is why now I'm quite eager to know what they did in BERT, did they finally find the bug and fixed it, or did they come up with another workaround?

Are the people who played the pre-elease games getting all those affinity quests because the quest system no longer expects everyone (including AI) the get affinity quests, or did they decide instead to make it so AI can get and complete affinity quests?

Top Bottom