1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Africa Mod!

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Modpacks' started by Nwoll, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Nwoll

Nwoll Prince

This is a mod of Africa. It uses a 256x256 map of Africa with 17 African civs(including Arabia) in approximately real starting locations. None of the rules are changed; however almost all the unit graphics were changed to a more African style as well as the city graphics. Also chariots were removed because a) they didn't really fit with the African theme and b) it helped make Egypts UU a little more powerful.
    All of the civs have a unique unit and an era-specific leaderhead (except Ethiopia on the leaderhead - not era-specific). The civilopedia is up to date, and credits are included. My biggist thanks goes to Civarmy - I used his map, as well as several units and leaderheads by him.
    There is also a 100x100 map included for Multiplayer games and those who like smaller maps.
    Here is the download link:
    http://www.3ddownloads.com/civfanatics/civ3/modpacks/Africa.zip

Because it has almost all era-specific leaderheads it's a pretty big file (242mb).
    These are the civs:
    Abyssinia
    Angola
    Arabia
    Basutoland
    Carthage
    Congo
    Egypt
    Ethiopia
    Ghana
    Kanem-Bornu
    Mali
    Matamba
    Morocco
    Nubia
    South Africa
    Swahili
    Zululand

Everything should be extracted to you Conqeusts\Scenarios folder

Screenshots a few posts down.

Here's patches that fix the Boer Rifleman, Marine, and Kwanhama: Just extract to same folder and say yes to overwrite.

Attached Files:

2. Lachlan

Lachlan Great Builder of Civs !

Unplayable :D

3. Nwoll

Nwoll Prince

I added the installation instructions Lachlan, could you tell me why it is "unplayable"?
    If there is a bug I'll try to fix it.

4. Rob (R8XFT)

Rob (R8XFT) Ancient Briton Super Moderator

I'm glad someone did an Africa mod at last. Out of curiousity, did you use any of the era-specific African leaderheads that I did? There were also some popheads and (very recently) an African settler.....

I'll definately download this soon and give it a whirl. Sounds great!

5. Nwoll

Nwoll Prince

R8XFT - I did use several of your leaderheads - thank you. I haven't added the settler or popheads yet but I may later. Thank you for your contributions.

6. CivArmy s. 1994

CivArmy s. 1994 Deity

Nwoll, thanks for the comment of the 1st post :) I'd suggest u post some screen shoots, I'm curious to see the Mod :)
    BTW, I have plans to do more stuff to Africa in the future, maybe they could be usefull to u in a expansion pack.
    I 'm curious: u said u have used a single-era LH for Ethiopian, but this country has three different era-specific LHs, one done by me, other by R8FXT and other by Sween, why did u use a single era one for this civ?

see you!

CivArmy

7. Nwoll

Nwoll Prince

Civarmy - the download links didn't work for Sweens, yours i used for Abyssinia (i think thats the one you were referring to) and R8xft's is the one I used - His Candace is single era.

I'm still trying to figure out how to do screenshots.

Edit- I'm actually trying to figure out how to post screenshots, I've taken several and have them saved in bmp. format so if anyone could tell me how to post one I would be glad to.

Edit- When I try to post a screenshot it tells me the file is too large it can only be 500kb, but that would be like a screenshot of one unit by time I got it that small.

8. Nwoll

Nwoll Prince

Ok I figured out I have to save as jpeg format.
    Here's a screenshot of the Ethiopians on the 100x100 map.

Attached Files:

• pic4.JPG
      pic4.JPG
      File size:
      153.5 KB
      Views:
  9. Nwoll

Nwoll Prince

Here's a shot of the 256x256 map:

Attached Files:

• pic5.JPG
      pic5.JPG
      File size:
      37.5 KB
      Views:
  10. Corvex

Corvex Emperor of Canada

Looks awesome, but why did you put 'Arabia' in Iraq?

11. Nwoll

Nwoll Prince

There was room over there and Arabia seemed like a somewhat African civ that shouldn't look to out of place over there. Most of the starting locations were placed with more emphasis on gameplay than realism; but if you know of a better civ to put over there, and could tell me a good place to put Arabia, I'll be happy to change it.
    Also, thanks for the input. :)

12. Lachlan

Too big map ==> unplayable :goodjob:

13. Nwoll

Nwoll Prince

LAchlan - thats why there is a 100x100 map included.

14. Lachlan

ok, i just wait that this mod be more "africa themed" :)

Replace Wonders, Units, and Improvments ;)

15. Sword_Of_Geddon

Sword_Of_Geddon Mysterious Jungle Warrior

Other than Egyptian, Arabian and the Carthagean wonder, I'm not sure what would constitute an African wonder.... :confused:

16. Nwoll

Nwoll Prince

Comments and suggestions are welcome. If you've had a chance to play this mod, please post.

17. Corvex

Corvex Emperor of Canada

Great Zimbabwe

18. elmoro

elmoro Chieftain

:goodjob:

Cool Mod... it is really great to see a good Africa mod finally.

the bigger map is a bit slow to load the turns, the smaller one is much faster.

One comment though, why don't u add African Wonders, may be The Castle of Zenzibar for Swahili or the Sahet Djemma El Fanaa for Morocco...just a thought.

19. Nwoll

Nwoll Prince

I don't really know a lot about any African wonders but if people would post some ideas , I'd be happy to include them. If you could post a wonder, and tell me what wonder it would replace or where on the tech tree it would go, and also a link to a graphic that looks similar I'd be happy to include it. I noticed that there is a Nubian pyramids wonder in the graphics forum, but I don't know what it should do.

20. elmoro

elmoro Chieftain