1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

After years of playing, what new things have you found in Civ 4?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by ZeekLTK, Sep 19, 2013.

1. bhavv

bhavv Glorious World Dictator

But I wasnt going for great scientists or monateries, full on GLH + cothon city spam

2. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

Cothon = n00b building.

You probably even had only internal TRs when you had the GLH too.

3. bhavv

LIAR!!!!

They were all foreign routes. Cothons are amazing.

4. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

Yes, they are... (after xxx turns, when the game also might be over already) .

You need to learn how to use your resources more efficiently, if you want to have a chance at Deity. Building Failgold gets you a lot further, than trying to build up "the unbeatable economy" , because it's (almost) instant benefit against benefit that's far away in the future. You need to learn how to compete at all with the AIs, before you try and start outperforming them greatly.

5. bhavv

On Immortal I can sometimes stay ahead, or at least on par with leading AIs, on Emperor Im always No. 1, and On deity Im bottom place.

But youre right that setting up a powerful late game economy doesnt work on deity because the AI advance too fast while Im still scrapping along on 30-40% science slider.

6. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

The famous words from TMIT that always get chosen for this are, that "the way from Immortal to Deity is as long as the way from Noble to Immortal" .

7. bhavv

Beeline alpha = backfill every ancient era tech via trades. Lovely.

8. The7Sins

The7Sins Hungry Burger

That Rome's Praetorians do not get the standard Swordsman +10% city attack. I rarely play as Rome so I never noticed til I saw it in the Civilopedia. Shame. Perhaps I should mod that in in order to help AI Rome.

9. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

Rome doesn't need help ;) . The two more base-STR are so much, that Praets often get chosen as the best or as one of the best UUs of the game. MarigoldRan once described them as "the cheaper War Elephants that can be promoted with CR promotions" , which is quite fitting. I recently played a game with Rome on a map that had tons of hills-cities while having a lack of food too. Still I managed to get a HoF #1 slot with an 1100 AD Conquest victory, using mostly Praetorians to which I added Catapults and Cannons later. AIs basically need Infantries to stop the combo of CR3-Praets + Cannons, and none of the AIs ever got that far.

10. bhavv

Praets are OP as they are, +2 str is a massive boost over the base unit.

11. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

You can see how much landtiles a map has when hovering over your own civ in the scoreboard. This is extremely useful when trying to create a "Micro Pangaea map" , that only has half of the land-tiles, that normal Pangaeas have, which makes a great difference when going for a HoF #1 slot. Another advantage is, that Micro Pangaeas almost exclusively have Grasslands, because the areas that get cut out are the northern and southern Plains, Tundra and Ice tiles, so while the maintenance may be criplling, these maps are really awesome! The settings that are needed to be chosen when generating the map are Tororidal Worldwrap and Cold Climate with a Solid Shoreline.

12. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

I also found out, that the City Govenor is too dumb to choose the right tiles when being EXP or IMP. Played a game with Isabella, and while working a PHF would have given an extra :hammers: , the City Govenor chose the PF, which would have given one :hammers: too little to get the extra- :hammers: from EXP :rolleyes: . Wanted to post a screenshot of this because I couldn't believe myself, but unfortunately deleted the save without thinking about it.

13. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Properly Paranoid Proletarian

I've known that for quite a while, and it irks me like you wouldn't believe. :mad:

14. bhavv

I havnt noticed that, I find the governed always picks the best tiles for EXP / IMP bonuses while making settlers / workers.

I find myself having to move a citizen off the 4 hammer PHM to a 3 f 2-3 c lake tile when it doesn't shorten the amount of turns it will take.

Also for that tip on discovering how many land tiles there are without having to use WB, THANK YOU OH GLORIOUS LORD SERAIEL!

I strongly suggest you try it out on high seas, cold archipelago snaky continents, you can get the absolute tiniest possible continents using this, sometimes with only room for <10 cities in total for all civs combined on a standard map.

15. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

:D :) .

The last time I was a "Glorious Lord" was in Ultima Online (there, the fame and karma a character could aquire through slaying enemies could give him that title) , very funny.

You're welcome bhavv, glad if it helps.

16. bhavv

This one time when I rolled a cold high seas snaky continents and had all 7 civs crammed onto two teeny tiny islands. Make it more ridiculous by being the only financial civ, pick no financial civs for the AI. Though shalt not tech!

17. Mizar

Mizar IM

Tell that the Aztecs. :rolleyes:

18. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

Deity difficulty is worth it to pass without cheats. Its impossible to do at least to me.

19. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

The size of the maps generated by the various mapscripts differs more than I thought. The smallest small Pangaeas have less than 300 landtiles, while the largets Terras have more than 1100, so while both are small maps, one can have 4 times the size of the other!

20. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

I think I just learned, that killing someone makes the game re-check the traderoutes. I just got TRs in a city that didn't have some before I killed Asoka. This somehow fits with the observation, that a new war makes the game re-check the WW, maybe everything gets checked when a war starts or ends.