Afterlife for the immortals?

Passer2000

Chieftain
I know that when human living in Erebus dies, he (or she) will go to either Arawn's netherworld,the seven wicked angels' hell, or rise to a heaven. Than, where will an angel or a demon go when it is killed? By the way, where did Mulcarn and Cassiel go after their death?

Generally an angel or demon returns to his god's vault upon "death," in order to regain its strength. It can take ages to recover fully enough to return to Erebus, depending on the severity of the damage.

Basium has a method by which the demons he kills are not sent back to Hell, but rather sealed away in a prison which he intends to keep closed until the day that The One returns to judge them.

Kael has stated that an angel may truly die if no god will accept its soul. He claimed that according to lore, Brigit should perhaps be the only angel that is mortal instead of immortal.

He has also stated that the Godslayer truly killed Mulcarn. Whether his soul may still exist in some form outside of creation in unknown, but he is nowhere within the multiverse accessible by the gods. Even if he is completely destroyed now, The One should be able to restore him if he so chooses.

Kael said that when Auric was taunting Cassiel he was trying to make matters worse by claiming no god would claim him and he would be the first angel to truly die (unless maybe Agares would save him, which would require Cassiel turning against everything he ever stood for). I tend to think that since he choose to live as a human that he could probably find a place among the departed mortals in Arawn's vault though. That could actually fit him rather nicely, as it is a world where mortals make their own fate rather than having its god control everything.

Auric wasn't taunting Cassiel to call out to Arawn, but Dagda (Cassiel's creator and former lord).

As MC said, demons and angels typically return to their gods vaults at death.

Theory about "true deaths" is a popular topic for Erebus scholars and spiritualists. Mulcarn, those killed by vampires, and the missing Aifons (who souls never passed into Danalin's vault despite his claim on them) are all popular subjects.

So, generally speaking, when angles(or demons) die, they won't become huamns which are their original races, but will just go back to where they become angles(or demon). Does that mean there will be more and more angles and demons while the population of human is limited? It doesn't sounds good since the battlefield of angle and demon will get larger and larger. By the way, is there any specail way to turn an angle (or demon ) to become a human or a demon(or an angle)?

Angels and demons retain their free will. It is still not all that rare for an angel to fall, and although very rare some demons have repented and then risen to be angels.

Angels and demons may also voluntarily choose to fall to Erebus and become mortals, loosing (at least some of) their sumerhuman powers in the process. I don't think they can be forced into becoming human, but choosing this fate for themselves is a right which was guaranteed by The Compact. Typically an angel would choose mortality after becoming disenchanted with his god or enthralled by a mortal woman, but Sphener is an example of one angel who chose to fall so as to serve his god even better.

Kael's overview of Hell made it sound like in Agares vault powerful demon lords tend to waste away to nothing over the ages, following the usurpation of their kingdoms by younger and stronger demon lords. It is not really clear what happens to them though; I'd suspect that their spirits linger there eternally in a state of such deep despair that they are powerless against their new masters, but perhaps they are consumed by their successors in much the same manner as the victims fo a vampire.

Without the Godslayer a god cannot truly be killed, but when Sucellus's body was broken in 7 pieces and burred in the frozen ground, his soul went to Arawn's Vault as the soul of a dead mortal would.

When Mulcarn was killed by the Godslayer, his soul seems to have been destroyed rather than going anywhere.

When Mulcarn was killed by the Godslayer, his soul seems to have been destroyed rather than going anywhere.

So what does that make Auric? I always thought he wasn't 100% normal mortal. Did something non-soul-y pass from Mulcarn to him? Divine Essence? Or was it something to do with the essence of Winter itself instead of its God? Or was Auric just this guy, you know? in the right place at the right time to become the new God of winter?

Auric was a magical prodigy, but not really any more so that Perpentach or Laroth had been. If there were a mage guild in his home town he would likely have become a powerful archmage.

The Precept of Winter has a sort of will of its own, seperate from the distinct personality of Mulcarn. This was not and most likely cannot be destroyed. Kael has never used the term, but were I the author, I would refer to this as the Numen of Winter, using the Latin term for the will and power of a godhead. This is derived from the word for a nod of assent, but was often conceived as a sort of essential power greater than the god's conscious being, or perhaps the divinity's subconscious mind, to which the rational mind of the divinity was practically just a pawn. The "Numen of Winter" is alive and well, and when it lost Mulcarn it went searching for an Avatar. Auric was the most magically gifted of all Illians, and so was chosen by the numen as its preferred host. Had Mulcarn died in the Age of Magic, I suspect Badb (Kylorin's disciple of Ice) would have been chosen. Regardless, it plenty of time and hard work for him to be made a ready vessel for the numen, and this could not have happened against his will. Probably the most important step was when he inhaled the breath of Mulcarn, which had been stored as the animating principle of Barnaxus. This can be said to be the passing of the divine essence, but it did not happen until after he had convinced the Illians to serve him as their new god.

Top Bottom