1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Agendas should be randomized.

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by wiggawuu, Jul 19, 2016.

1. wiggawuu

wiggawuu Warlord

I'm getting worried that this game is getting way to linear already. Why should a leader always have the same agenda? If it's a hidden agenda, it should change every game. Therefore, you will have to figure out what it is by working through diplomacy.

2. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

The hidden agenda does change every game; the hidden agenda is randomized, the historical agenda is not.

3. Balkans

Balkans Warlord

Your wish is granted by custom game setup and random (agenda) personality checked. Hidden agenda is already randomized.

4. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

In case it wasn't clear from what the others said, each leader has two agendas: one is a fixed historical agenda, and the other is a hidden agenda that's randomly chosen each game.

5. El Castellano

El Castellano Warlord

Talking about agendas, does anyone know the agenda of Victoria (England)?

6. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

As far as I know it hasn't been revealed. I asked Pete but he said that I need to send an envoy to learn rumors.

7. master__jj

master__jj Chieftain

So you cant't bully any more? Interesting.

8. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

Moderator Action: Moved to Ideas & Suggestions

9. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

Do we actually know that checkmark exists?

10. dreameater67

dreameater67 Chieftain

I suppose there will be a player option for hidden agendas too. Any word on this yet?

11. Eagle Pursuit

Players are not constrained by agendas. The AI follows agendas for flavor. They are not rewarded for it.

If you want to be technical, the human players' agendas are always hidden because the AI can't read your mind and realize what you are up to.

12. Zaarin

Oh, good, so no proto-Reaper AI from Sins of a Solar Empire confirmed. :D

13. dreameater67

dreameater67 Chieftain

I see, so no advantage linked to pursuing a new agenda. Too bad in a way, but perhaps something like this will be modded in by someone.

14. Zaarin

...You actually want the game to force you to play a certain way? :confused:

15. dreameater67

dreameater67 Chieftain

Not in a single player game. But in a multi-player game, I can see the added level of intrigue possible by being rewarded for a certain aspect of game play and trying to figure out/counter other players rewards. Another layer of diplomacy and potential conflict. I think it might be interesting if this could be linked somehow to victory conditions, that way you would not be forced to play a certain way, many roads might lead to achieving your objective. Come to think of it, if the AI opponents are forced to play a certain way, then it could be argued that being forced to play a certain way might be seen as a balancing issue. it could at least be modded as an option for someone looking for that sort of challenge.

16. Eagle Pursuit

I can see how it might be fun to be assigned random objectives and to be rewarded when completing them when you are playing with other people. But it does degrade the sandbox style that civ is known for.

17. Ezumiyr

Ezumiyr Warlord

Well, Europa Universalis IV has random missions/objectives, and it doesn't change its sandbox aspect (mind that I wrote aspect, not nature).

But really, I think that Civ6 agendas is only to make the different AI feel different in each game. It doesn't really change balance or add challenge, it's more about how the AI will spend its ressources. Players cannot have this kind of agendas. It would be something like "forced to spend more than 50% of your prod in military units" and that kind of stuff. They are really not random objectives.

So random objectives would be in fact a new mechanics in Civ6, quite similar to what we've seen in civ scenarios since Civ4, I believe (?), or the victory conditions in Rhyes and Fall of Civilization.