Agendas should be randomized.

wiggawuu

Warlord
I'm getting worried that this game is getting way to linear already. Why should a leader always have the same agenda? If it's a hidden agenda, it should change every game. Therefore, you will have to figure out what it is by working through diplomacy.

The hidden agenda does change every game; the hidden agenda is randomized, the historical agenda is not.

I'm getting worried that this game is getting way to linear already. Why should a leader always have the same agenda? If it's a hidden agenda, it should change every game. Therefore, you will have to figure out what it is by working through diplomacy.
In case it wasn't clear from what the others said, each leader has two agendas: one is a fixed historical agenda, and the other is a hidden agenda that's randomly chosen each game.

Moderator Action: Moved to Ideas & Suggestions

Your wish is granted by custom game setup and random (agenda) personality checked. Hidden agenda is already randomized.
Do we actually know that checkmark exists?

I suppose there will be a player option for hidden agendas too. Any word on this yet?

Players are not constrained by agendas. The AI follows agendas for flavor. They are not rewarded for it.

If you want to be technical, the human players' agendas are always hidden because the AI can't read your mind and realize what you are up to.

Players are not constrained by agendas. The AI follows agendas for flavor. They are not rewarded for it.

If you want to be technical, the human players' agendas are always hidden because the AI can't read your mind and realize what you are up to.

Oh, good, so no proto-Reaper AI from Sins of a Solar Empire confirmed. :D

I see, so no advantage linked to pursuing a new agenda. Too bad in a way, but perhaps something like this will be modded in by someone.

I see, so no advantage linked to pursuing a new agenda. Too bad in a way, but perhaps something like this will be modded in by someone.

...You actually want the game to force you to play a certain way? :confused:

Not in a single player game. But in a multi-player game, I can see the added level of intrigue possible by being rewarded for a certain aspect of game play and trying to figure out/counter other players rewards. Another layer of diplomacy and potential conflict. I think it might be interesting if this could be linked somehow to victory conditions, that way you would not be forced to play a certain way, many roads might lead to achieving your objective. Come to think of it, if the AI opponents are forced to play a certain way, then it could be argued that being forced to play a certain way might be seen as a balancing issue. it could at least be modded as an option for someone looking for that sort of challenge.

Not in a single player game. But in a multi-player game, I can see the added level of intrigue possible by being rewarded for a certain aspect of game play and trying to figure out/counter other players rewards. Another layer of diplomacy and potential conflict. I think it might be interesting if this could be linked somehow to victory conditions, that way you would not be forced to play a certain way, many roads might lead to achieving your objective. Come to think of it, if the AI opponents are forced to play a certain way, then it could be argued that being forced to play a certain way might be seen as a balancing issue. it could at least be modded as an option for someone looking for that sort of challenge.

I can see how it might be fun to be assigned random objectives and to be rewarded when completing them when you are playing with other people. But it does degrade the sandbox style that civ is known for.

Well, Europa Universalis IV has random missions/objectives, and it doesn't change its sandbox aspect (mind that I wrote aspect, not nature).

But really, I think that Civ6 agendas is only to make the different AI feel different in each game. It doesn't really change balance or add challenge, it's more about how the AI will spend its ressources. Players cannot have this kind of agendas. It would be something like "forced to spend more than 50% of your prod in military units" and that kind of stuff. They are really not random objectives.

So random objectives would be in fact a new mechanics in Civ6, quite similar to what we've seen in civ scenarios since Civ4, I believe (?), or the victory conditions in Rhyes and Fall of Civilization.

Top Bottom