AI and Vic conditions

Matjillam1

Chieftain
I just wondered, does the AI play after what victory conditions, that is the players has chosen?

Like, if u have unclicked all but cultural, would the AI only use strategies that would be able to give them those 3 epic cities?

And would the peaceloving AI's be more aggressive if only domination/conquest were clicked?

(Too lazy to try it out)

Hmmm, guess a game with Genghis, Alexander, Shaka, Montezuma, Catherine, Isabella, only conquest vic clicked and aggressive AI would make a fun game then :)

Thx for the answer

Speaking of which, has anybody ever made Conquest or Domination the ONLY ways to win?

How does the AI act if those are the only ways to win... does it become naturally more agressive (even Ghandi), or does it seem to be seeking a cultural or science win even if those aren't options?

That would be interesting to know.

Of course you can never really unclick Conquest or Domination, as conquest = win anyway, unless its only Diplo allowed and you have no vassals... That would be bad...

I'm gonna try it :)

I will make a game with ONLY conquest clicked and add some peacemongers like Ghandi, M&M and Hapse

Matjillam - I'm actually playing a game right now like the one you suggest. I've always preferred building/peaceful games, so wanted to try my hand at a war-filled game.

I put on aggressive AI, and only conquest/domination wins. Genghis, Monty, Alexander, Shaka, Ragnar, Napoleon, Toku, and I threw Gandhi in for fun. I'm Genghis, and it's actually been a brutal challenge. Apparently, all the warmongers are best buddies with one another...every time I DOW one of them, I get negative multipliers from the others about DOW'ing one of their friends. I took Ragnar out early (and paid for it with a dead economy for a long stretch), and Alexander and I wiped out Toku. Poor Gandhi was the tech leader early, but apparently everyone went to war against him at the same time and wiped him out.

So I'm left with everyone furious at me except Alexander (who backstabs anyway). Shaka is the tech leader, and most powerful, but he's furthest away from me, so the least of my worries. I have Alexander, Monty and Napoleon all next to me. Alexander keeps declaring on me when cautious. Once I make peace with him, Napoleon declares. I just took Paris and Orleans from Napoleon, seriously weakening him, and of course, while my troops are healing in Paris, both Monty and Alexander DOW on me on the other side of the continent, so I'm racing everyone back to try to save my cities. It's clear I'm going to lose at least one, but if only one, that's ok - two steps forward, one step back.

With my weak economy for such a long stretch, I had to alter my teching strategy - no chance to hit liberalism first. I headed down the chemistry/steel line to get grenadiers and cannons, instead of cavalry and riflemen. It's going to be a long game though, since all we do is warmonger the whole game. I do have one incredible military city though - all the GGs Genghis produces have gone to that city. Heroic Epic, military academy, vassalage, theocracy, and 6 settled GGs make for one ridiculous military production city.

It's a lot of fun, and it's pretty clear everyone isn't thinking about space, but it kills me that all these warmongers are best buddies - they're all ganging up on me!

To be honest, I've never noticed an AI attitude shift when selecting Conquest-only. Something I often do when playing custom games.

Intentionally selecting Warmongers and/or Aggressive AI ramps up the likeliness for war. But in my experience any change in playstyle by limiting victory conditions, if it occurs, hasn't been noticable.

I'll start paying more attention to it though, as it's a good question, and definitely something of a concern in some regards. If the only way to win is conquest, then if the peaceful fellows play as normal, then there's a bit of an advantage to rolling Ghandi in a conquest-only game.

Then again, in patch notes and such, tweaks have been suggested the likes of, "AI will now attempt culture victories", or "AI will perfom X action when close to a domination victory" - something to that effect. So I'd say it's possible they're aware of victory conditions. I just haven't noticed it. I would hope so, though.

Top Bottom