AI giving cities to other AI

phantom1998

Chieftain
I'm playing on the 3/12 Beta and this is the first time I've seen AI giving cities to other AI frequently. Austria builds a city totally disconnected from his empire next to the Ottomans, and then after a religious straggle where they traded missionaries spread back and forth they finally give up and gifts the city to the Ottomans. Later when I was fighting the Ottomans I liberated the city, only for Austria to give the city to Korea in the next turn. Then he builds a city halfway around the world on a remote island close the Venice, then a few turns later gifts the city to Venice. Is this a new AI tactic? I don't see the point in Austria constantly giving away their cities.

I'm playing on the 3/12 Beta and this is the first time I've seen AI giving cities to other AI frequently. Austria builds a city totally disconnected from his empire next to the Ottomans, and then after a religious straggle where they traded missionaries spread back and forth they finally give up and gifts the city to the Ottomans. Later when I was fighting the Ottomans I liberated the city, only for Austria to give the city to Korea in the next turn. Then he builds a city halfway around the world on a remote island close the Venice, then a few turns later gifts the city to Venice. Is this a new AI tactic? I don't see the point in Austria constantly giving away their cities.

It's not new, but the AI is probably getting good deals for the cities. I rarely see city trades these days, so it might simply be a quirk of that game.

G

Being asked to trade cities is something that I am just recently seeing.

If they are asking me to trade for a city that I have they may be asking for cities that AI players have as well.

Pocatello offered me 3 gpt for a nice 16 pop city... It seems like the AI is wildly undervaluing cities.

I get infrequent but consistently bad offers for cities since the march versions of the patch or so. I rarely see cities that I think have actually been traded, and I always turn down AI offers because they are generally laughable. It's not like the problem we saw a couple of months ago where AIs would trade cities around randomly and liberally, but it does seem that the value that the AI is willing to offer for a city does just not justify this feature in general - but then again, in most cases I guess a human player would never be willing to trade away a city they settled themselves, which sort of underscores the point that this feature is dodgy at best.

but then again, in most cases I guess a human player would never be willing to trade away a city they settled themselvess, which sort of underscores the point that this feature is dodgy at best.

Settled cities sure, but I trade conquered cities in pretty much every game I have friends to trade cities to. I warmonger so much that's not as high a percentage as it sounds, but I do use the feature.

Screenshots, saves, mod lists would be very helpful to debug this issue.

Just recently being when? The latest version?

G

It's been several betas that the AI has started offering very little for cities on the regular. I didn't care about it, but I never checked if they were actually making these deals with other civs.

Well, AIs have given me 17 gpt + a luxury for a 8 pop near their border (and away from mine).
and the leader AI in my current game offered me 35-60 gpt + one or two luxuries for a 12-18 pop city (with the Red Fort after some offers) when in late medieval early renaissance.

So if the AIs are negotiating cities like that between themselves, it could be good too :)

I just had Korea offered me 34 GPT, 2 Paper, and my WC proposal in exchange for his capital city back. I had a good laugh about that.

Top Bottom