AIs and the Art of War

He is in Atomic era while calendar says 1935 AD, nice :D
This means he's likely to reach last tech on last turn.

upload_2020-12-21_7-59-33.png

the war started again and the french back stabbed.... still no nukes and AI is quite meek
upload_2020-12-21_7-59-33.png

Have you ever been invaded by a barb Tracker on a Raft, hmmm? :rolleyes:

The last two times I lost a game it was to barbarians both times stacks lead by merged obsidian swordmen while I had not yet unlocked units that strong(nightmare game).

upload_2021-1-3_9-7-32.png

1949...FINALLY got the technology to make tanks

science is slow becausse main source of tech is pillaging sumeria
upload_2021-1-3_9-7-32.png

I'm not exactly sure, but I think I haven't seen the AI use the warlord chiefs/commanders etc in ages. And also I think the AI doesn't use spies at all, at least I never saw anything spy related action in my games the last year or so.

Distance and accessibility doesn't seem like much of a factor for AI's declaring war. In my pangea game, I can't figure out why Korea declared war. They were on the opposite side of the planets and the borders between us were closing up. They were actually one of the weaker civs too (1.2). I was able to get my army in and out, but I detected no invading armies. They surprisingly were late on walls with minimum requirement. This was quite before open borders were possible.

The notable second war was a 6v1 dogpile on the human. Only two could reach me(I needed Seafaring tech to reach China and an absurdly behind civ). Two more could theoretically attacked me though the ottomans who they were also at war with.

Also, dumb border gamerules got involved, but that's not an AI thing.

So, I guess pangeas on high difficulties means the AI declares dumb wars.

Distance and accessibility doesn't seem like much of a factor for AI's declaring war. In my pangea game, I can't figure out why Korea declared war. They were on the opposite side of the planets and the borders between us were closing up. They were actually one of the weaker civs too (1.2). I was able to get my army in and out, but I detected no invading armies. They surprisingly were late on walls with minimum requirement. This was quite before open borders were possible.

The notable second war was a 6v1 dogpile on the human. Only two could reach me(I needed Seafaring tech to reach China and an absurdly behind civ). Two more could theoretically attacked me though the ottomans who they were also at war with.

Also, dumb border gamerules got involved, but that's not an AI thing.

So, I guess pangeas on high difficulties means the AI declares dumb wars.
AI's have always declared wars over diplo annoyances without any consideration for geography or readiness for war.

AI's have always declared wars over diplo annoyances without any consideration for geography or readiness for war.

Yes, even when they really can't reach me, like an ocean in between that they can't technologically traverse yet.

I always assumed that my enemy talked them into it.

Yes, even when they really can't reach me, like an ocean in between that they can't technologically traverse yet.

I always assumed that my enemy talked them into it.
An ocean? I don't think I experience that level of faux aggression yet.

I can't even think of a reason for Korea other than the -5 "first impression". I played other mods and modmods and typically can expect the doomstack to make it to my border before a war declaration. I could have sworn I've seen distance as a factor in XML personality files in smaller mods. It's just the most perplexing war declaration in all of my time with the Civ 4 engine, and Nightmare Difficulty is the only reason I can think of.

With the 6 civ dogpile, I can at least understand a technical reason for the AIs to do it, even though a rational actor would realize they aren't getting a piece of the pie. The two stand outs of the dogpiles is THE antipodal civilization, and cursed ice civilization. With those, I at least know there is a dogpile factor to blame, however dumb those wars turned out. At least Wu Zetian was rational, but she has some unearthly persuasion powers. I do know there were some other wars going on during that time which may have made my survival a non-issue so I'm not complaining that this war was unfair in terms of challenge. It's unusual to have a valuable ally but that was the hand I was dealt.

edit: cursed tundra was an understatement

Last edited:
any updates on the state of the warfare AI?
Dramatically improving and quickly right now with some fixes to the brokerage system taking place - this is basically going to expose the game to playing as well as it has been programmed to up to now without the errors it has been plagued by and further improvements still are being planned. Some architectural adjustments are also about to help with further improvements ongoing from there and there are some new whole AI philosophies with units to be adapted in with the unit line review that is getting closer to implementation though is not RIGHT around the corner quite yet.

1788 turns in and doesn't look like there's been any wars :(. definitely no cities have changed hands.

Top Bottom