AIs suing for peace but offering nothing...

ChuckVader

Chieftain
For some reason, I find that at some point in the game, the AIs will stop offering things when they want peace. It's strange, because early in the game when I've just killed a few units and maybe taken one city, they'll make very generous offers - GPT, luxuries, even cities. Later on, even if they're on the verge of total annihilation, they won't even offer open borders. What gives?

when they're convinced you're going to win, they won't help you in any way.

Every civ will do this once until you go to war with any civ for the second time.

Example. I've gone to war with each of these civs once and not accepted a peace treaty. They all want to give me the kitchen sink deal for peace.

greece
france
rome
siam
russia
germany

Now if I accept a peace deal with greece and then declare war with greece at the end of the treaty all of the other civs will stop offering the sweet deal for peace. And why should they when I've just demonstrated that I'll go back to war at the drop of a hat.

I could accept the deal that each civ offers but there isn't much incentive for me. The first time they start founding new cities I'm going to DoW. This way I can bombard their cities for XP and GG points.

Every civ will do this once until you go to war with any civ for the second time.

Example. I've gone to war with each of these civs once and not accepted a peace treaty. They all want to give me the kitchen sink deal for peace.

greece
france
rome
siam
russia
germany

Now if I accept a peace deal with greece and then declare war with greece at the end of the treaty all of the other civs will stop offering the sweet deal for peace. And why should they when I've just demonstrated that I'll go back to war at the drop of a hat.

I could accept the deal that each civ offers but there isn't much incentive for me. The first time they start founding new cities I'm going to DoW. This way I can bombard their cities for XP and GG points.

There's very little point in ever stopping a war that you're winning - since you can't convince the AI not to immediately start spamming settlers and settling in all the open nooks and crannies in your empire. A long time ago I used to give it consideration after I had "beaten" a civ into the ground but after having my trade routes cut by some last place civ dropping a city into a dessert region I ran roads through I completely gave up.

About the only time I take peace is to expidite the elimination of a Civ. For example: They've got 4 cities left and are getting their heads handed to them - I'll take the other 3 cities in a peace deal and DoW 10 turns later - it would take me longer than 10 turns to grind through 3 cities anyway. This is especially true on a continents map before cross-ocean contact. I could care less what the other civ or two on my continent thinks anyway cuz they're just next in line.

That makes sense. So if going for a domination victory, don't accept peace until you take their capital (at least!)

Does it make any difference how much time passes before the 2nd DOW? Frex, if you make peace with Greece in the Ancient era, then Dow Greece in the industrial era, does that still cause the loss of good peace deals?

Or don't accept peace until there is only one other civ left with their captital.

To be safe you should still maintain a military presence against these civ's and don't ever let them retain access to aluminum or uranium.

There's very little point in ever stopping a war that you're winning - since you can't convince the AI not to immediately start spamming settlers and settling in all the open nooks and crannies in your empire. A long time ago I used to give it consideration after I had "beaten" a civ into the ground but after having my trade routes cut by some last place civ dropping a city into a dessert region I ran roads through I completely gave up.

About the only time I take peace is to expidite the elimination of a Civ. For example: They've got 4 cities left and are getting their heads handed to them - I'll take the other 3 cities in a peace deal and DoW 10 turns later - it would take me longer than 10 turns to grind through 3 cities anyway. This is especially true on a continents map before cross-ocean contact. I could care less what the other civ or two on my continent thinks anyway cuz they're just next in line.

Another reason to look for peace is happiness. Taking enemy cities reduces happiness significantly, and it will eventually drive you into severe unhappiness. I can usually keep up with it for a while, but there will come a point where it is severe, and I need to end the war to give myself time to get back to a state of happiness.

Top Bottom