Alabama -> Marriage is not a fundamental right

Should Alabama be able to dissolve the marriage of someone upon conviction of a crime?
Possibly. As Borachio pointed out it would probably depend on the crime. Maybe you should start a thread on this unrelated topic and discuss it.

Every once in a while I wonder if it was worth fighting the Civil War just to extend the privilege of having the south be some kind of march-esque never-neverland of social and cultural repression, racial antipathy and reactionary thought. A hundred and fifty years after the Civil War and fifty years after the civil rights movement the south is still disgusting and miserable.

some kind of march-esque never-neverland of social and cultural repression, .

Wut? What's "march-esque" mean, please?

I'm missing some vital piece of information. "March"-like? Wot?

I'm guessing it's some author or other. All I've turned up is Char March, but I'd bet it ain't her.

Do you mean the larger statue commemorating the Confederacy? (i suppose you alluded to a more elusive, ever-present in your view sentiment you dislike).
It does seem that in the case the US does split up (i always wish it won't come to that) some sort of entity loosely based on the borders of the Confederate states may materialize once more.

If any of you guys are in favor of more relaxed immigration laws, well, I won't try to convince you otherwise. This might be a perfectly good idea.

But I can't wrap my head around this attitude of "screw the law, we love illegal slave labor being around; after all, what good is keeping track of people?".
What is this? Anarchism? Nihilism?

*sigh*

Make your mind up, America. Do you want people in it, or not?

Oh. Right. Thanks.

Though strictly speaking the Marches were a border region? So I'm not sure how that works.

I thought that the marches were some kind of extended area of homogenous low vegetation and possibly a swamp?

The 'border' meaning was kept for specific cases, such as "Spanish March", or the Ostmark (new name for Austria while being part of Germany).

Well, there it is then.
The Frankish word marka and the Old English word mearc both come from Proto-Germanic *marko (Old Norse merki "boundary, sign"[1] and mörk "borderland, forest"),[2] denoting a borderland between two centres of power. The Anglo-Saxon kingdom of Mercia took its name from West Saxon mearc "marches", which in this instance referred explicitly to the territory's position on the Anglo-Saxon frontier with the Romano-British to the west. It seems that in Old English "mark" meant "boundary" or "sign of a boundary", and the meaning later evolved into "sign in general", "impression or trace forming a sign".

The Germanic word ultimately derives from a Proto-Indo-European root *mereg-, meaning "edge, boundary". The root *mereg- produced Latin margo ("margin"), Old Irish mruig ("borderland"), and Persian and Armenian marz ("borderland").

*sigh*

Make your mind up, America. Do you want people in it, or not?

Yes, absolutely! And, as I have stated so many times before it's almost becoming a burden to state it again, I wish they would dramatically ease immigration procedures. However, until that's done, I don't see why people invading this country illegally and pissing on our sovereignty in the process should get a free pass at anything. They should be found and deported using any and all means (including marriage applications) possible.

It's easy enough to find them if they work, isn't it?

The truth is, I believe, that American citizens don't really want to "find" them...and deport them. Otherwise they would.

I do. Put me in charge! I also want to find the companies/individuals illegally hiring them and fine the living hell out of them if not outright prosecute for jail time. I am sick and tired of these damned Canadians thinking they can just slip over our border and walk among us unnoticed.

Every once in a while I wonder if it was worth fighting the Civil War just to extend the privilege of having the south be some kind of march-esque never-neverland of social and cultural repression, racial antipathy and reactionary thought. A hundred and fifty years after the Civil War and fifty years after the civil rights movement the south is still disgusting and miserable.
It could certainly be argued that the US made a dreadful mistake of not only not allowing the traitors to secede, but to insist upon it. Just think how different things would have been with all those backward states which typically do not even pay their fair share of the taxes given how much federal handouts they receive, much less negatively influencing so many attempts at progress since that fateful decision.

How is it unrelated? It seems that these people were merely suspected of a crime.
By a handful of county clerks, no less. This isn't even the official policy of the entire state.

Top Bottom