Alea iacta est: A GermaNES

June 263: War Declared

As Carthage approached Messina and began preparations to assault the city, they were taken aback by the presence of a Silver Eagle flying over the city. Outside the city the Consul Brutus and a small bodyguard stood near a creek under a white flag. The Carthaginian General approached curious about this turn of events and what the Roman might have to say.

The Consul Brutus first acknowledge the Carthaginian by smiling as he approached with his small group of bodyguards, he knew he had the man by the hair and he would not let go. His small 10,000 strong unit was no match for the powerful 24,000 man Legions of Rome, and as the Carthaginian reined up and acknowledged the Roman with a wave of his hand, Brutus noticed sweat on the General's brow and his eyes kept darting to the walls, where only the 1st Legio was standing. Talks began with Rome demanding that Carthage withdraws from all of Sicily and Carthage demanding that Rome back out and leave this to Carthage. With neither side willing to back down the day appeared lost and surprise gone for surely Carthage would be establishing defensive networks.

Suddenly a glint appeared in the horizon, Brutus spotted it first and smirked, "Well my friend, you should have taken my offer." He wheeled his horse around and raced for the gate. On the walls archers suddenly sprung into action and sent a volley towards the confused Carthaginian. The General wheeled his horse around and noticed what caused the sudden change in behavior, it was a trick. The General cursed at the wall before racing back to his army with what was left of his bodyguard.

Consul Paxos stood ontop his horse, before him stood the unorganized lines of the Carthaginian army in siege preparation work, behind him his 3 Legions were marching in good order and were forming into battle formation, the 3 Silver Eagles were shining brightly in the setting sun. Paxos was enjoying the moment, his Legions were performing well for recruits that have not seen a major battle, a testament to Roman military training. He noticed the small dust cloud moving down the hill towards the Carthaginian camp and raised his hand, he looked besides him and saw that his Legions had formed. He dropped his hand the Eagles dipped forward and suddenly arrows filled the sky followed by javelins before a great red wall surged forward.

Paxos and Brutus met at the gate of Messina, the Sicilians were filling the streets and were cheering as the Legions marched in. The Carthaginian army was shattered and all of Sicily lay at the mercy of Rome. But back in Carthage another army was being formed and what was once a quiet sea has now been filled with warships from both sides as skirmishes are fought and lost.

Rome: -1,800 men, Legio II 550; Legio III 800; Legio IV 450.
Carthage: -5,500 dead, 2,500 captured.

In Rome, the Senate managed to agree to open trade relations with other powers, though Senate has yet to appoint a man to be their trade envoy to other powers, the more bolder Senators have negotiated their own terms for their Regions or Cities and as such Macedonia has begun receiving Roman goods. +250,000 for Rome, +10,000 for Aurelius, +7,500 for Cato per month.

Meanwhile the Senator Primanus has established an internal trade network and bought a vast amount of Horses and wagons and has begun taking goods from the port cities to the internal cities netting him a small fortune for creating land trade lanes to cater non-port cities and towns. +15,000 a month.

Senator Primanus has also sent a Caravan south to Sicily, with the destruction of the Carthaginian army outside Messina, Primanus' Caravan was able to purchase 500 new slaves to resell in Rome or other cities earning him the trait Slaver.

The remaining slaves await more caravans or ships to buy them.

The Prophet Julious has gone to Mount Vesuvius to mediate while his followers spread the word around Rome. He also gains 1,000 Sesterces from an unknown source. +1,000.

OOC:
Mod Notes:
@Amesjay: If you want an appointment you must ask for one in Senate. Only they can appoint Administrators and commanders. Also Stables can only be built by Administrators in Cities, but when they are built you can buy horses from them and use their stables to hold your horses. Consider this akin to a Public Garage.

For your Estate you and all Senators start with a Small Estate, but you must inform me where this Estate is, which City and Region. And yes your 10 Bodyguards and 2 spies are in the stats.

I think that is it... I will update the stats later. Also, if you are a Senator, get active in the Social Group, even if a discussion has been beaten to death start another, Rome has no shortage of laws that need to be passed or laws that need to be upheld in the case of Julious followers being arrested 2 updates past. I would like to see the Social Group be full of discussions along all topics. Simply put if there is something you think Rome needs to do, take away, enforce or otherwise do something about, do not hesitate to start a debate.

OOC: Seriously, guys, if I'm the most active guy in the Senate House, there's a problem, as I don't usually post much :p
Also, germanicus, you said you needed ideas for NPCs? I might get some to you if I'm bored any time between waking up and lighting off fireworks for fun tomorrow :p

OOC: Begun participating in the Senate Council. Things are gonna get interesting :)

Stats should be updated later tonight. Roughly 4-5 hours from now. Then a deadline will be posted.

Also, if you feel you have enough support in Senate, go ahead and issue a motion and wait for another Senator to 2nd it, or use a NPC senator that is on your side to support it. Once a 2nd Motion is granted it will move into the voting stage and the NPC's controlled by me will then issue their votes. Once it passes or fails, I will save it in the main thread and throw it into the update.

Player stats updated. Will update Regional and Republican stats tomorrow.

Some things have been added to your stats, I will add the explanations to the first page tomorrow, but I will give you a general idea of them right now:

I have added a Workforce stat to indicate the number of noncombatant workforce you have, included would be slaves, freedmen and other workforces, which could include anything from Horses to Oxen.

I have also added an upkeep stat on request which for some reason, I realized I forgot to include when I started this NES. :blush:
This will include your required debts to pay to maintain your private army and workforce. (will be high if you have more freemen than slaves.)

I have been considering just taking your expenses from your income, what this means is you will no longer have to spend money to maintain your forces, the NES will do it automatically for you. If you want to stop or lessen monthly payment to save up for a big purchase, you must do so in your orders. If you agree to this I will do the same for the Republic and Region stats and the Senates/Administrators would have to explicitly state either in bill form or orders Do not pay expenses, or pay half... etc...

EDIT: Just realized I left some of the players stats incomplete, I will put the finishing touches on them tomorrow. If yours appear finished but something was forgotten, let me know and I will see if I can fix it. (I still have all orders from the start of the NES so I will try and include all your purchases.)

My apologies for the delay, I am in the middle of a week long business deal that is sucking up alot of my time. I am updating the stats here and there when I get time. But do not expect anything to be finalized until Friday night. Though if want you can send in orders, even if incomplete (I did all the monetary deductions and additions as necessary, there is just no workforce stats on most of you yet), I will accept them and if I get enough of them namely 4 of 5 I will update Friday night.

Stats fully updated I believe. Let me know if there are any mistakes.

Also, Rome has an Expense stat that shows their expenses, you will find it under their Income. Currently Rome is losing 350,000 a month. If enough people say they want to change to the system I posted in the 3rd post above this one I will eliminate this stat as well as in the PC stats.

I only have 1 set of orders from ChineseWarlord, if everyone else can get theirs in, in the next 6 hours I will update tonight, if not I will update tomorrow night.

Also, Senators please check the Social thread.

I do not have an upkeep cost in my stats.

July 263: Incompetency costs.

As the Legions reform and secure Sicily, many positions remain empty and leave the Legions nearly leaderless, only the all encompassing powers of the Consuls and their Centurions have managed to keep the Legions from straying from their objectives. But with the Carthaginians forming a new army and their fleet blockading Sicilian ports there is a limit to how much the Consuls can do. Not to mention the distrust the Legions feel towards the Senate, whom many believe are not even looking out for them, rather deciding to sit in their estate and brandy about words that make them appear intelligent or maneuver to put themselves into positions of power instead of taking care of their Legions, which furthers strengthens their cause when the Senate failed to act and pay their troops. As a result the Legions feel betrayed and begun to disobey the Consuls and plunder the surrounding countryside, which in turn causes problems amongst the Sicilians who complain to the powerless Consuls and the Senate.

Meanwhile on the seas, the early Roman successes have turned disastrous a merchant convoy run by a prominent Senator, Lucius Furius, has been attacked by Punic Warships outside Capua, the Romans though had part of their Home Fleet based there and therefore sent out a patrol to intercept the Punic ships. After a quick action the Romans were badly defeated, losing 1 Trireme and suffered severe damage to 2 Quadiremes. After this action the Roman fleets no longer leave port, electing to wait until Senate gets around to electing a leader to actually lead them. As a result trade drops all over Italy as merchant ships refuse to leave port unless heavily protected by either paid Mercenaries or bribing Punic Captains to leave them alone. Although most trade now moves overland and Primanus gets alot of business.
Rome- 500,000 a month.
Aurelius: -5,000 a month.
Cato: -2,500 a month.
Primanus: +10,000 a month.

In personal news, Senator Primanus expands his business, acquiring more caravans and draft animals. Which helped handle the extra business shifting overland. He has sent agents to sell his slaves, which earned him enough to return to Sicily and buy the remaining slaves.

In the Po Valley, he has expanded the Trade Network and has allocated funds to build a Road Network but was informed by his advisers that he needs a Legion stationed in the Po Valley to provide the engineering and workforce. He also asked for a stable and Prefecture to be built, but alas no body knew where he wanted them built, so they built it in Ravenna, the Regional Capital.

Hadrian Marcellus, though remained in Rome, reportedly writing about his visit to Carthage and what he learned about the inner workings of the Punic Navy and Army. Which if completed could help out the Commanders of the Roman Navy and Army immensely.

Julious continues to meditate at Mt. Vesuvius.

Towards the end of the month, another Punic army has been brought ashore in Western Sicily which numbered 15,000 foot, 10,000 Numidian cavalry, and 25 Elephants. The latter has the Consuls concerned, no-one has ever seen these beasts before and it is unknown how the Legions will handle the Grey behemoths, but one thing is certain, Rome is doomed to fail unless the Senate gets to work.

EDIT:
Stats will up later tonight, look to here and front page for next deadline.

@Christos, your upkeep will be added when I update the stats.

Martialis

Head of House:
Spurius Papinius (48)

Family:
Manius Petillus Martialis (24, Son)
Cantilia (44, Wife)
Vel Lucretius Martialis (18, Son)
Proclus Aurius (14, Son)
Floridia (14, Daughter) (Floridia and Proclus are twins)

Backstory:
The house of Martialis has long served the house of Primanus. Spurius’ eldest son Manius, currently serves under Kaeso Pontius Primanus. The male children have long been trained for a variety of positions mainly in the military, or serving in a formal administrative position for their employer.

Gratian

Head of House:
Quintus Vagnius Gratian (32)

Family:
Rufia (26, Wife)
Lucia (38, Sister) (Husband Postumius Tremellius Macro is deceased)
Cossus Lucceius Tremellius (16, Nephew)
Herius Quinctilius Gratian (27, Brother)
Paulus Manlius Gratian (12, Son)
Albatia (8, Daughter)

Backstory:
The house of Gratian is one of the 2 main houses that serve the house of Primanus. Quintus became head of the house early, after his father suffered a fatal wound in combat. His children are currently merely in training and still too young to join the legions. His nephew however, is a very capable young man, willing to take up the mantle of a soldier in the name of Rome.

Stats fully updated. Let me know if there are any issues. Also I moved the upkeep from its location and added it to your wealth/income stat, which now reads wealth/income/expenses, the respective numbers indicate the value of each stat. Again let me know if you have any problems.

Because Rome did not pay their troops this month, Rome got money in their bank, but the Legions are not happy.

Finally, Amesjay, Ravenna already had a Stables, so I placed your new stables in Florentine. The Prefecture has been built in Ravenna, and your Trade Network is now 2. Your road network cannot be done for reasons stated in the update. If you have any questions PM me or let me know here.

I will begin updating the post below your stats to show your NPC creations as well as my contributions.

Was just wondering if I was supposed to gain more slaves, as in the update I did manage to sell some of my slaves but then wouldn't I have at least made some money or acquired additional slaves?

Was also wondering how does the region's money work? When I choose to construct things in Po Valley, do I just draw upon Rome's money?

P.S. Will be choosing dates for birthdays to add to the NPC houses and my own house so that people can have birthdays :), Sorry about the fact that I didn't include a location for the Region Improvements. Forgot about that.

The Slaves you sold earned you enough to buy the rest, but no more since you did not allocate any of your personal wealth towards it.

Your region taxes the 4 cities within your region, most of that goes to Rome, but a small percentage stays in the Regional vault for regional construction. Rome will not give you any money unless you declare an emergency and find yourself short on cash in times of natural disaster and even then they might not help you, it all comes down to politics.

NPC stats finally completed:

Spoiler :
Fabinus
Head of Family:
Julius Tiberius Fabinus (Born 320)
Family:
Julia Crassus Fabinus (Wife; born 280)
Titus Tiberius (Son; born 278)
Alishea (Daughter; born 274)
Backstory:
The Fabinus clan is a powerful but old house descended from the line of former Roman Kings. It was not his family who held the crown when Rome overthrew the monarchy and established the Republic. In fact it was Julius' father who led the rebellion to overthrow the king. As such the Fabinus family has enjoyed immense popularity and support within Senate, though lately that support has been waning.

Flavius
Head of Family:
Marcus Valerius Flavius (Born 334)
Family:
Livia Brutus Flavius (Wife, deceased 262)
Tiberius Valerius (Son; born 282)
Backstory:
The Flavius family has been strong supporters of the Republic since its inception, their family has sent warriors from every generation to fight Rome's battles, Marcus himself achieved fame and glory by securing the Po River Valley where he also formed a lasting friendship with Lucius Brutus. Though his son Tiberius is only 19 years of age, he has served as a Tribune but never in battle, so Marcus attempts to get his son a position in the Legions for this war against Carthage, despite his son being the last of the Flavian line.

Brutus (Head of family is currently Consul, but he has 2 brothers and a son of age and with military service as a Tribune already done.)
Head of Family:
Lucius Cicilus Brutus (Born 315)
Family:
Servila Tiberi Brutus (Wife; born 300)
Hadri Cicilus Brutus (Brother; Born 313)
Titus Cicilus Brutus (Brother; Born 310)
Tiberius Cicilus (Son; Born 285)
Backstory:
Lucius has had a long and storied history in Rome, it was his family that ignited the rebellion to overthrow the Monarchy and institute the Republic, and as such his family enjoys nearly never ending support from Senate and the love of the people. Indeed it might be said that his election to Consul was because of his family name and not his prowess on the battlefield, which leaves something to be desired. It was Flavius who saved his cohort from annihilation in the Po River Valley, by disregarding orders and turning his own cohort into the enemy flanks to save Brutus. This action nearly ruined the Legion and Flavius was punished for his disobedience, but an alliance was formed one that still stands to this day.

Scipio
Head of Family:
Quintus Cornelius Scipio (Born 298)
Family:
Piscos Cornelius (Son; 258)
Backstory:
Scipio's family is rather new to the Senate game, their fortune derives from farming plantations tilled by thousands of slaves, those estates are largely gone now, as the Scipio fortune shifts to landowning. It is said the Scipio's own 75% of Rome, whether it is true or not is irrelevant, what is known is Scipio's eye for money, he has in the past turned a meager living into wealth beyond anyone's dream simply by managing money. While Scipio may not really have an eye for command or rather a stomach for war, his son looks upon the Legions as his family's chance for fame and glory, but because of Quintus' reluctance to allow his son to serve, Piscos has no experience and must start as a lowly Tribune should he enter service.

Cascius
Head of Family:
Cornelius Crassus Cascius (Born 310)
Family:
Paxia Gallia (Wife; Born 305)
Marcus Crassus Cascius (Son; Born 285)
Julia Cascius (Daughter; Born 280)
Aleisha Cascius (Daughter; Born 276)
Backstory: Cornelius Cascius is a rather prominent member of Rome, before the arrival of Scipio he was the premier landowner in Rome and his fortune derives from such fortune, but the competition with Scipio who provided better rates and more humane treatments have left him bitter and reclusive, he no longer has the power he used to enjoy within Rome or the Senate, but he still is considered a genius when it comes to money and military matters. His only son has a keen eye for military strategy and Cascius lobbied hard to see his son gain a position in the Legions.

Paxos
Head of Family:
Licinius Apitus Paxos (Born 320)
Family:
Tabitha Praxia (Wife; Deceased 267)
Titus Apitus Paxos (Brother; Born 310)
Lucius Apitus Paxos (Son; Born 280)
Remus Apitus Paxos (Son; Born 279)
Talia Paxos (Daughter; born 267)
Backstory:
The Paxos are a long and distinguished line, full of ambassadors and diplomats, the Paxos are famous for their Golden Tongues and ability to resolve even the most hostile of environments. This stance though has created enemies, bitter ones who would stop at nothing to see the Paxos ruined and disgraced. But the Paxos do have allies and most of their allies are among the most powerful families in Rome, which include Brutus and Scipio. While Licinius himself has little military experience save his small time as commander in 263, his old age does not allow much more time for him to become a great Commander, so instead he focuses on getting his sons into the Legions and seeing them achieve promotions and become the man Licinius never became.

If you want to change military appointments you have until the deadline to do so, when the bill will pass and the appointments carried out.

Deadline will be Saturday May 4th.

Know that the deadline is upon us, just 5 more hours until the day ends. I will not update until tomorrow evening though, so try and get the matter concerning the Legions resolved in the Senate Chambers, or you could be in for a surprise.

August 263: Catastrophe Avoided.

Despite forgetting to pay the Legions, the appointments and ensuing arrival of most of the Leaders have appeared to placate the Legions. Legion 2 and 4 have joined at Fortress Mars while Legio 1 and 3 await the arrival of Consul Brutus who is making his way by land from Rome.

In the meantime, on Western Sicily the Carthaginians are organizing and preparing their march upon Fortress Mars, hoping to destroy one part of the army before they link up. Scouts race far and wide to report movements and skirmishers fight along a wide front, but ultimately the Carthaginians arrive outside Fortress Mars shortly after August 15th, Consul Paxos with the Generals Crascius and Fabinus, who command the II and IV respectively have elected to give battle, Consul Paxos sends a messenger to Messina to inform the Generals Flavius and Scipio, of the I and III respectively, of the decision.

On the seas Home Fleet Commander Aurelius has used his position as Administrator of the Central Range to allocate Regional funds to repair a Quadrimere, which remains in port for another month to finish repairs. The rest of the Fleet patrols the coast line, finding no Punic warships, but they capture a Punic trade vessel near Syracuse which they immediately bring to Capua. Commander Aurelius can decide what to do with the ship.

In the Med. Fleet, Commander Cicilus Brutus has elected to keep his ships in port. This has allowed the Punic fleet who avoids the Roman western coast to raid along the Adriatic coast. It wasn't until towards the end of the month, under pressure from his Consul brother that Cicilus finally moves his fleet out of port and engages a Punic fleet near Syracuse, which a Home Fleet Trireme also got involved in, and much to the delight of the local Syracuse peasant soldiers, the Romans give a monstrous thrashing to the smaller Punic fleet, but the Med. Fleet loses a Trireme in the action, but the Carthaginians lose 3 Triremes and 1 Quadriremes.

Meanwhile at Fortress Mars, a battle rages between 30,000 Carthaginians and 12,000 Romans. With no knowledge of how to fight the Elephants the Romans suffer huge casualties before the Elephants panic and flee the battle, the battered Romans reform and prepare to receive the Punic foot. They never come, the Punic commander deciding not to push his luck with Roman reinforcements just a half a day's march away, instead built a camp and remained camped 5 miles west of Fortress Mars. The so called 'reinforcements' were never sent from Messina until long after the battle had been fought, Flavius argued to send his I Legio to support Paxos, while the more cautious Scipio elected to wait for Brutus' return and his orders. Thus it wasn't until August 25th, a full 10 days after the battle that the I Legio finally arrived at Fortress Mars.
Rome: Legio II -350; Legio IV -400.
Carthage: -6 Elephants, -200 light cavalry, +10,000 Light foot, +5 Elephants.

Meanwhile the Punic commander was replaced by a man called Barca, Hasdrubal Barca, of the powerful Barca warrior clan of Carthage. General Barca brought with him an extra 10,000 troops plus 5 Elephants. They now outnumber the combined Roman armies by almost 3-1. But Brutus has finally arrived in Sicily and has left a cohort in Messina and moved the III Legio under Scipio to Fortress Mars, both armies now prepare for probably the last major battle of the season as they maneuver for an advantage.

In Regional News, the Central Range has built a Fine Stable in Antium. People fill the streets of Capua to applaud their generous Administrator as he departed for his command ship. Aurelius gains the trait Generous Administrator for his monetary and personal contributions to Rome.
Administrator Primanus has expanded the Administrators House to a Villa, which allows him to tap into the next level of building, Stage 2.

In personal news, Primanus sells most of his remaining slaves for a profit of 5,000 Sesterces, the other 1/4 he did not sell he kept for himself to help build and till his newly purchased Large Farm.
Aurelius recruits 100 Ex-Leg. for bodyguard services, 90 of them are used to protect his Estate and family, while he takes 10 with him as his own personal bodyguard.
Julious returns to Rome and begins preaching again, gave a great speech which draws 10 more converts to his cause.
Spoiler :
''Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted. Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied. Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy. Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God. Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. ''

Marcellus finishes his extremely detailed memoirs of his visits to Carthage and uses 5,000 of his own money to publish them, which is then bought by the families of the Generals and Consuls and other members of the military who receives these memoirs which includes a way to defeat the elephants which Carthage unknowingly told Marcellus when he saw these magnificent beasts in the Palace. Marcellus receives 7,500 in royalties.

OOC: I think I covered everything. Your orders had more information than before, keep it up and we can see great updates from here on out, hopefully. :mischief:

If I forgot anything let me know and I will put it in.

Chinesewarlord@ To finish a book, you must publish it and allocate some of your funds to do so, I did it for you in this update, but if you desire to do so again be sure to include it in your orders. The more detailed, the more money and vice versa.

PM's will go out now to commanders. Stats will hopefully be updated in an hour.

PM's sent and Stats updated. As usual if you have any issues let me know.

Orders due May 8th.

Top Bottom