1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Alexander: Does he just hate me? or is he an aggressive jerk?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by HarvesterofSorr, Jul 29, 2012.

1. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Not a funny joke when Ghandis does this to your civ....

:lol::p

edit: argh I've got to learn to use the insert image button correctly. It's supposed to be a nuclear fireball, btw.

2. HarvesterofSorr

HarvesterofSorr Chieftain

The thing is that Montezuma, who has earned a reputation as an AI warmonger, is in these same games and acts more rationally.
    If we're equal militarily he doesn't stop by every 5 turns to tell me that barbarians are laughing at my civ and denouncing me when we are on opposite sides of a large continent.
    It's hilarious. Alex will DOF with a neighbor who is weak and right next to him while denouncing me when I am strong and far away.

3. FeiLing

FeiLing Deity

[.IMG]http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2008/10/03/atom300.jpg[./IMG]

4. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

What did I do wrong then? I just posted the url of the page I found it on through google. Thanks btw

5. Mano3

Mano3 King

He's a jerk. He always starts off nice and friendly, then he insults you and attacks...

6. FeiLing

FeiLing Deity

Right click on images you find and select copy image location (dunno if IE can do that, all other browsers can for sure) - that's the correct link. Any ******** long search parameter including link that doesn't end on .jpeg probably won't work.

7. afedyuki

afedyuki Chieftain

In my experience he is the worst backstabber in the game and can't be trusted under any circumstances. I make it a point to eliminate him no matter what strategy I am pursuing.

8. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

Honestly, my experience is that more civ's than not will be aggressive neighbors in the early game. That's not a bad way to represent the ancient era, really, but unfortunately it tends to continue throughout the game, even when making research agreements would be more beneficial than coveting land just because it happens to be nearby.

Definitely add Napoleon and Boudicca to the list, although Alexander by himself. At least Attila has a good sport attitude after you cream his initial rush.

9. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

I 2nd Napoleon! Everytime I see his powder blue territory peeking through the fog of war, I know it's going to be an annoying game.

In my latest game he is my closest neighbor. I wanted to build Statue of Zeus, but he beat me to it which can only mean one thing . . . you don't build the Statue of Zeus to sit back and turtle.

10. Ragneur

Ragneur Chieftain

It could be down to your constant use of the Romans, difficulty level, preferred game settings to name a few possible reasons for you to think about. Personally he's always been super nice to me, from start to finish.

Aside from the necessary early troops to deal with barbs I loathe building troops. My ideal world would be if I had a continent to myself to colonize peacefully with no need for a military. I find armies such a ballache. I'm a pacifist.

11. HarvesterofSorr

HarvesterofSorr Chieftain

Would be more the Civ choice then the diff. level. Still playing on Prince while learning the new parts of the game.

12. compwiz1202

compwiz1202 King

I read he actually has a really low nuke value, but there is like a +/- 3 randomizer each game, and if it is - enough it actually puts it at the max, and he nukes the world as soon as he can :lol:

13. stii

stii Warlord

You guys are getting me worried now. Alex is my bestest friend in my current game so I'm planning on beating him up last and now I'm worried he is going to backstab me before I get round to him.

14. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

He actually does have a value of 12. It's a +/- 2 spread, but because he is already above the max, it defaults to 10. It's an in-game joke that's grown from the Civ I days when you could get messages from Ghandi that were:
    Backed with nuclear weapons.

People thought the juxtaposition was funny and over time the devs programmed Ghandi to be a serious nuker. If you war on him in the atomic age or later, you need a massive first strike ability or it's going to end up a MAD world.:lol:

15. GThreepwood

GThreepwood Chieftain

Yup welcome to Civ V. Pretty much every time you meet Alex, he becomes hostile the next turn, the following turns he insults you 2 or more times and the cherry on top comes very soon or to be brief, he denounces you.

Now I'm finding myself game after game sending all my units to Greece just to keep his mouth shut. Jeez

P.S Does the AI frequently build the Statue of Zeus in your games ? In mine they go for it everytime.

16. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

They go for every wonder they can - on higher difficulties all of the bonuses they get in the early game make getting the early wonders next to impossible.

17. wpfossil

wpfossil Chieftain

Play random personalities and maybe Alex will be more friendly

:)

18. cman2010

cman2010 King

I dont play with random personalitys on but ever since I got gods and kings ghandi has turned into a huge jerk, I find it kind of funny though since thats part of the fun for me seeing things in civ 5 that would not happen in real life and making an alternate history.

19. GThreepwood

GThreepwood Chieftain

Actually that might be the solution.
    But I bet I am going to meet a new Alex :p

20. Mano3

Mano3 King

Right now Ceasar has been at war with me since 2500 BC!!! He won't stop...