Alien Strains

Nice mod! would love to see new aliens types and strains!

Great mod but would be possible to make it compatible with the Alien EXP cap remover and the level cap remover mods, they seem to conflict and cause crashes

Great mod but would be possible to make it compatible with the Alien EXP cap remover and the level cap remover mods, they seem to conflict and cause crashes
I haven't looked into those mods, but if they tinker with global defines and such, they shouldn't conflict with Alien Strains as I haven't touched those fundamental values.

Anyway, major update is out! It's not compatible with savegames, but I'm providing a direct link to v1 for those who might want to finish their current games. The Kill Siege Worm quest is partially fixed: all worm strains trigger the quest, but only killing the base species completes it. I'll keep working on it, but I didn't want that to keep stalling the v2 release.

Also UI glitches are gone! :D

Version 2 (Alpha):

- Partial fix to Kill Siege Worm quest (should've fixed other Lua actions too).
- Tweaked Ravager Worm and Maker Worm SREF textures to make them more distinctive.
- Tweaked Sea Serpent and Sea Lurker SREF textures to make them more distinctive.
- Tweaked alien secondary colours slightly, to make modest use of gradients on the black background.
- Implemented the perk system as to phase out promotions (and the UI glitches).
- Several strains have new/different abilities (check spoiler below).
Spoiler :
- Wolf Chameleons now have a combat bonus in miasma instead of in rough terrain.
- Hunter Drones are now somewhat weaker, but ignore zones of control and have a +50% attack bonus instead of being good in open terrain and lousy in the rough.
- Chimeras explode on death, dealing 20 HP damage to adjacent units.
- Basilisks have a 30% chance to scatter units with their ranged attack.
- Sea Lurkers now have 2 extra attacks instead of being invisible like Civ5 submarines.
- Maker Worms and Leviathans now heal 15 HP to nearby aliens (Great General effect is deprecated in CivBE). They also have a 30% weakness against air units.
- Thanatos Heal on Kill increased to 25 HP (was 20).

Excellent job! Another worthy add to my collection :)

Thanks, TP!

Now, finally, and thanks to Vicevirtuoso's assistance, the damn worm quest is now fully operational.

Version 2 (Alpha) Hotfix A:

- Fixed the Kill Siege Worm quest: all worm strains should trigger it and be valid for its completion.

Thanks for making this mod! While I've only played with it once so far, the increased variety of aliens was very nice.
Do you think it would be possible to make strains of aliens unique to different world types (fungal, lush, desert)? That is one of the things I thought should have been included to make each world type more diverse in gameplay, and being able to mod that in would be really cool.

Thanks for making this mod! While I've only played with it once so far, the increased variety of aliens was very nice.
Do you think it would be possible to make strains of aliens unique to different world types (fungal, lush, desert)? That is one of the things I thought should have been included to make each world type more diverse in gameplay, and being able to mod that in would be really cool.
Thank you for the feedback, but that's not in the cards for the time being, for a number of reasons. Essentially, it'd triple my work in all regards, and since I'm planning to add further strains (and more), I'd rather focus on developing a larger variety of aliens you can see in every playthrough as opposed to much smaller selections you'd only see once every three games.

Update released! Should be compatible with Version 2, but please report any issues.

Enjoy! :D

Version 3 (Beta):

- Added one more alternative strain to five of the seven base alien species (main post updated).
- Reskinned the Wolf Chameleon.
- Fixed something about the Kill Aliens quest objective.
- Made some localization modifications.
Version 3 (Beta) Hotfix A:

- Fixed a glitch in the Spanish localization.

A new hotfix is out. Should get rid of issues with quests and the Affinity Quests Fix mod.

Version 3 (Beta) Hotfix B:

- Updated quest-related Lua code to fix certain incompatibilities.

"Sea Lurkers now have 2 extra attacks instead of being invisible like Civ5 submarine"
This...makes me a little sad inside considering that they are the only marine alien that poses an actual threat to my navy with their sneaking around.

"Sea Lurkers now have 2 extra attacks instead of being invisible like Civ5 submarine"
This...makes me a little sad inside considering that they are the only marine alien that poses an actual threat to my navy with their sneaking around.
Yeah, it was a good effect, but being part of the unused Civ5 promotions, it was the source of frustrating unit action UI glitches. The downside outweighed the benefits.

I'll look into re-implementing promotion effects when/if Firaxis fixes their malfunction.

Thank you for this mod,ever since getting CiVBE was thinking "wouldn't A starship troopers theme be good"? this may be it? but I am new to installing mods is there a wiki on how to?
Will I have an option to disable it if it's too difficult without reinstalling the whole game? Thanks

now could you add something to allow the player to build/create aliens instead of just the xeno swarms/cavalry that would require level 7-9 in harmony and the alien genetics tech?

Iron235, please don't triple-post. Next time, edit your original post.

I'm working on a major update for Version 4, its details hinted at in the "Coming soon" section of the main post. And I already have some ideas brewing in my head for Version 5, after that. :)

As for players producing aliens and that sort of thing, that's outside the scope of this mod.

Thank you for this mod,ever since getting CiVBE was thinking "wouldn't A starship troopers theme be good"? this may be it? but I am new to installing mods is there a wiki on how to?
Will I have an option to disable it if it's too difficult without reinstalling the whole game? Thanks
Subscribing from the Steam Workshop (link in main post) downloads the mod once you enter the mods screen in-game. There you can select or deselect mods to be used, so there's no need to tinker with your installation.

I really love this mod and starting to fell in love with these cute alien!!!.
Its a bit sad that these awesome strain got eliminate too soon. Let equip them with some claws.

These are some ideas i have had (inspiration from starcraft II)

Made alien got stronger as time passed.
Every 50 turns, spawn special nest with 80+strength queen that always sitting on the nest.
Queen protecting nest. And while queen is presented, nastier strains such as Kamikaze, Miasma spreader, Disease carrier, Berserker (which stronger when aggression level is high) will spawn instead of old strain.
All of aliens got 50% combat bonus for each queen presented (Eg. at turn 100, 2 queens presented, alien got +100% strength). And of course, made these alien not to attack player that have Harmony as dominant affinity.
Let alien hater attempt to kill queen and alien lover which have alien as indirect alliance protecting it.

lol, that enough of blablabla, just got inspired from your mod and cannot keep it alone. I known these thing are outside scope and will require genius brains and lot of times to do.
PS. I somehow believe that geniuses are gathering in this forum.

Well, I have been considering similar things, some of which will come into play when Version 4 is released.

Hostile Planet gives permanent upgrades to the native species as time goes by, and I've pondered similar systems, but if I decide on it, implementation is further down the road. It's somewhat controversial as it affects the aliens' role in the game, which is something I've been trying to preserve so far. I mean, their original purpose is to remain a threat during the early game, and rather quickly fall behind as you move into the mid and late game. Making aliens a potent antagonist throughout the game, never declining, is a considerable shift in direction. Though ultimately, one I'm willing to give serious thought to.

I strongly recommend adding mipmaps when you save the .dds files for the new Alien textures, so they dont flicker all the time.

Top Bottom