All Quiet on the Civ Front

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rise and Fall came out really quick after its announcement.
E3 was a big disappointment for me. No xcom 2 or AOW4 news at all.
Cant be to hyped for an elder scrolls 6 announcement for 2021 and most other news was already known or anticipated

Paradox wasn't even at E3 right?

We have confirmation Dev Diaries for AoW: Planetfall are coming soon.

/offtopic

Paradox wasn't even at E3 right?

We have confirmation Dev Diaries for AoW: Planetfall are coming soon.

/offtopic

I’m much more hyped for rome imperator. With a busy first quarter 2019. I think i wont have to much time to focus on aow. Probably picking it up at a later steam sale. Q3/4 2019. I’m hyped for eu4 and hoi4 expansions as well and have barely touched stellaris

Nothing has been posted in months. I hope the devs haven't decided to abandon civ 6

If you would have read this thread, or even just the first page, you would know such worries would be completely unfounded.

If you would have read this thread, or even just the first page, you would know such worries would be completely unfounded.

Mostly because abandoning Civ 6 and starting on Civ 7 would be a positive. This one's broken, but it has lots of fun parts that could be re-cycled into a better game, either by mods if they'd release the source code or a new leadership team at Firaxis under the Civ 7 banner. Preferably both.

Nothing has been posted in months. I hope the devs haven't decided to abandon civ 6
Really? They pretty much just released a rather large patch, in typical firaxis development terms. That's really overreacting.

When was this "large patch" released? Are you talking about the March update?

Spring update. You should be interested as the AI is improved a good bit. More then i’ve expected from reading the patch notes. Dont expect wonders do.
At the current point after the spring patch civ 6 is doing fine in its life cycle

Mostly because abandoning Civ 6 and starting on Civ 7 would be a positive. This one's broken, but it has lots of fun parts that could be re-cycled into a better game, either by mods if they'd release the source code or a new leadership team at Firaxis under the Civ 7 banner. Preferably both.
I disagree. Civ6 is in a good place. I'm not playing much because of the lull in activity (Stellaris and Ck2 are full of activity right now, and Civ6 with its "No DLC for you!" policy makes me sad), but the game itself is actually rock solid and balanced nicely. Do I have a wish list of things that I would change if I was the lead dev? Of course I do. But I'm not the lead dev. Nor am I likely to be asked to be the lead dev on the next expansion, or even on Civ7.

I mean, if they called me, I'd offer some opinions though. But overall, Civ6 is in a good place. VASTLY better than Civ5 was at this point in the cycle, and, I hate to admit, even at a better place than my beloved Civ4 was at this point in its own cycle.

No it's not.

I disagree. Civ6 is in a good place. I'm not playing much because of the lull in activity (Stellaris and Ck2 are full of activity right now, and Civ6 with its "No DLC for you!" policy makes me sad), but the game itself is actually rock solid and balanced nicely.

I'm happy that both of you can enjoy Civ 6 in it's current state. I truly am.

I see huge potential in many of the features in Civ 6, and I think the current development team has introduced some amazing ideas. I'm hopeful that a new patch or a new expansion will get it to the point where I find it fun to play, too.

My optimism for this has slowly waned as each new patch goes by, but it's not completely dead. I'd be more excited by an announcement that they were moving on to Civ 7, but I'll be excited to hear about a new Civ 6 expansion, too. Maybe more excited than you, given our relative satisfaction levels with the current patch. :)

I'm happy that both of you can enjoy Civ 6 in it's current state. I truly am.

I see huge potential in many of the features in Civ 6, and I think the current development team has introduced some amazing ideas. I'm hopeful that a new patch or a new expansion will get it to the point where I find it fun to play, too.

My optimism for this has slowly waned as each new patch goes by, but it's not completely dead. I'd be more excited by an announcement that they were moving on to Civ 7, but I'll be excited to hear about a new Civ 6 expansion, too. Maybe more excited than you, given our relative satisfaction levels with the current patch. :)

Why do you consider Civ 6 broken though? I just don't understand what is wrong with it... Yes there's some issues, but they're not that big.

Why do you consider Civ 6 broken though? I just don't understand what is wrong with it... Yes there's some issues, but they're not that big.

Some issues i have with the game

- air combat
- AI civs have tendency to be runaway civs or pushovers for bigger civs. Relatively quickly in the game
- Ai is to peacefull after first 2 era’s
- Endgame is pretty much press enter for 60 turns without much thought close to victory
- AI bonusses should be given at each era instead of all in the beginning in the game. Once you catch catch up there is no challenge
- world congress like civ 5 is dearly missed
- spy system is more annoying to use then fun
- some civs are always ending on top or are unbalanced

That question likely deserves more time than I have to answer it right now. Mostly my comment was motivated by the sense that the things that would need to change for me to enjoy the current iteration of Civ are not things that are important to the current development team. So while I still hope that they will be addressed, I have a growing sense that they will not be.

As to what those are, I've posted details in other threads where I thought the Firaxis team might read them. I don't want to be trying to convince others why the game has problems if those problems aren't important to them and they're able to enjoy it. If you're truly interested in my personal perspective, though, I've summarized it below.

Spoiler :

I guess I can lump my disappointment with Civ 6 into four main buckets.

1. I don't get that "one more turn" feeling. I'm not invested in any of the interim goals during the game. If an AI beats me to a Wonder, if an AI Settler gets to a prime city site before I do, I don't care, because none of those things change the outcome of the game. And because I don't feel any sense of disappointment associated with any of these things, I also don't feel and sense of accomplishment or relief when I do achieve an interim goal.

2. The AI does not act as an effective pace car, speed bump, or roleplaying foil. This is the first Civ game I've played where I can completely ignore the other civs. I need to pay attention to when I first meet an AI, as that dictates how quickly I need to get an army up to deal with any Warrior rush that may be coming. And if I'm playing peacefully, I need to figure out how I'm going to deal with any Knight rush that may happen. Otherwise, I find little need to pay attention to anything the AI is or isn't doing in Civ 6. I can just do my own thing and get a victory long before the AI is even threatening to win, without worrying about maintaining good relations or slowing them down or paying them any mind whatsoever. I will say that the development team tried to make AI interactions more interesting with the Agenda system. If I felt like I needed to keep good relations, the agenda system would be good.

4. Poor user experience arising from UI misinformation, inconsistent rule applications, and obtuse game systems. This causes turns to take longer than they should to complete and causes a general sense of frustration for me while playing the game.
4. Mechanics that for me don't tie together in a fun or enjoyable or logical manner. Trade, gold, loyalty, culture, tourism, era scores, I constantly feel like I'm asked to do X to get X points, Y to get Y points, etc., rather than making game decisions that then have logical impacts on multiple aspects of the rest of my empire.

When did Ed say there are "three years of support planned"? I hope yall are right. I'd hate to see them abandon Civ 6, but things are strangly quiet...

Firaxis for a while now has only announced things that are almost finished. Frequently, patches come out within a week of being announced. On the flip side, this past patch was announced 3-4 weeks before it came out and half the people on this forum lost their minds waiting for release.

Also, this whole expansion patches have come every 3-4 months on average. The last one came on May 9th. I wouldn't expect another patch until August or September.

I'm holding out hope that its become one lone Firaxis programmer's passion in his spare time to give us an update. I would start a kickstarter to keep him filled with coffee, cola and salty snacks or whatever his appetite desires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom