Alternative Map for DOC

Also, is there a way I can see the most up to date map? So I'm not throwing around outdated suggestions?

I'll post some screenshots soon.

The "variant" in this case refers to the different texture (i.e. either fertile green or cold grey). I think you are talking about the arrangement of the islands, in that case we cannot control that per tile. It is determined based on the surrounding land and other island tiles, similar to how the placement of trees is dynamically determined based on the underlying terrain and connection to nearby forest tiles. However, I also noticed that some configurations create undesirable graphics, in particular in some cases the art appears to be one tile north of where the feature actually is. It is possible to change that, but I am unable to do it because I do not understand the system involved.

This issue only appears when you place (horizontally) adjacent island tiles. (So not placing adjacent island tiles easiest way to solve it)

You could use the code below. It get rids of the islands on the wrong tile. However, when you have a cluster of island tiles, it does not place many islands. (This can be solved by combining some of the current nif files. This is not hard, but it takes some time.) But I assume that there aren't many locations that have adjacent island tiles, so this is probably not an issue.

You can always test the code below and decide if you like the result.

Code:
        <FeatureArtInfo>
            <Type>ART_DEF_FEATURE_ISLANDS</Type>
            <bAnimated>0</bAnimated>
            <bRiverArt>0</bRiverArt>
            <TileArtType>TILE_ART_TYPE_HALF_TILING</TileArtType>
            <LightType>LIGHT_TYPE_SUN</LightType>
            <fScale>0.3</fScale>
            <fInterfaceScale>1.0</fInterfaceScale>
            <Button>Art/Interface/Buttons/TerrainFeatures/Button_Islands.dds</Button>
            <FeatureVariety>
                <FeatureArtPieces>
                    <FeatureArtPiece>
                        <ModelFile>Art/Terrain/Features/Islands/island0.nif</ModelFile>
                        <ModelFile>Art/Terrain/Features/Islands/island1_nw.nif</ModelFile>
                        <ModelFile>Art/Terrain/Features/Islands/island2_nw.nif</ModelFile>
                        <ModelFile>Art/Terrain/Features/Islands/island3_nw.nif</ModelFile>
                        <Connections>NW</Connections>
                    </FeatureArtPiece>
                    <FeatureArtPiece>
                        <ModelFile>Art/Terrain/Features/Islands/island1_ne.nif</ModelFile>
                        <ModelFile>Art/Terrain/Features/Islands/island2_ne.nif</ModelFile>
                        <ModelFile>Art/Terrain/Features/Islands/island3_ne.nif</ModelFile>
                        <Connections>NE</Connections>
                    </FeatureArtPiece>
                    <FeatureArtPiece>
                        <Connections>NW NE</Connections>
                    </FeatureArtPiece>
                    <FeatureArtPiece>
                        <ModelFile>Art/Terrain/Features/Islands/island1_se.nif</ModelFile>
                        <ModelFile>Art/Terrain/Features/Islands/island2_se.nif</ModelFile>
                        <ModelFile>Art/Terrain/Features/Islands/island3_se.nif</ModelFile>
                        <Connections>SE</Connections>
                    </FeatureArtPiece>
                    <FeatureArtPiece>
                        <Connections>NW SE</Connections>
                    </FeatureArtPiece>
                    <FeatureArtPiece>
                        <Connections>NE SE</Connections>
                    </FeatureArtPiece>
                    <FeatureArtPiece>
                        <Connections>NW NE SE</Connections>
                    </FeatureArtPiece>
                    <FeatureArtPiece>
                        <ModelFile>Art/Terrain/Features/Islands/island1_sw.nif</ModelFile>
                        <ModelFile>Art/Terrain/Features/Islands/island2_sw.nif</ModelFile>
                        <ModelFile>Art/Terrain/Features/Islands/island3_sw.nif</ModelFile>
                        <Connections>SW</Connections>
                    </FeatureArtPiece>
                    <FeatureArtPiece>
                        <Connections>NW SW</Connections>
                    </FeatureArtPiece>
                    <FeatureArtPiece>
                        <Connections>NE SW</Connections>
                    </FeatureArtPiece>
                    <FeatureArtPiece>
                        <Connections>NW NE SW</Connections>
                    </FeatureArtPiece>
                    <FeatureArtPiece>
                        <Connections>SE SW</Connections>
                    </FeatureArtPiece>
                    <FeatureArtPiece>
                        <Connections>NW SE SW</Connections>
                    </FeatureArtPiece>
                    <FeatureArtPiece>
                        <Connections>NE SE SW</Connections>
                    </FeatureArtPiece>
                    <FeatureArtPiece>
                        <Connections>NW NE SE SW</Connections>
                    </FeatureArtPiece>
                </FeatureArtPieces>
                <FeatureDummyNodes/>
                <bGenerateRotations>0</bGenerateRotations>
                <VarietyButton>Art/Interface/Buttons/TerrainFeatures/Button_Islands.dds</VarietyButton>
            </FeatureVariety>
        </FeatureArtInfo>

Yeah, that's what I meant. You would probably have to fix this on a NIF level.

Yeah, Prince George is what I meant. I think Prince George is the name of the city in the current scenario even if you found it on BCs Northern coast where Prince Rupert is.

I should probably stop complaining before I get the Maritime provinces punitively re-sized to a more appropriate proportion. Speaking of, not sure if it's been added but we should include an island terrain feature where Prince Edward Island should be.

PEI is already in as an island tile, I'm pretty sure. I made sure of that.

Yeah, that's what I meant. You would probably have to fix this on a NIF level.

The code I provided already fixes the issue you mentioned. (I added missing connections with multiple cardinal directions, like >NE NW<) You can implement this and see if you are happy with the result.

The issue with this fix is that it doesn't place many islands when there are clusters of island tiles. This can be fixed by editing the nif files. But if the result of the fix above is good enough it can save the effort of creating some new nif files.

Does it place less islands in clusters than with the current configuration?

I'll post some screenshots soon.
Sorry, I think it's better to focus my time on getting the branch ready to be published. I don't have any map changes that I want to make anymore, so it's only some graphical adjustments and preparing the code for some collaborative aspects. Might get this done over the weekend, depends on the weather.

Does it place less islands in clusters than with the current configuration?

Less then I expected.

I do notice that both configurations can lead to empty tiles, even though the tile has islands.

If you have islands on a tile, and none of the adjacent tiles have islands, there is no change at all between the old and new configuration. Only when adjacent tiles have islands as well there is a change.

Spoiler New configuration :

Spoiler Old configuration :

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0068.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0068.JPG
    467.1 KB · Views: 803
  • Civ4ScreenShot0069.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0069.JPG
    466.7 KB · Views: 838
  • Civ4ScreenShot0070.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0070.JPG
    423.2 KB · Views: 781
  • Civ4ScreenShot0071.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0071.JPG
    422.1 KB · Views: 777
Last edited:
Huh, intuitively the new configuration looks better overall, especially if it also definitely removes false positives. I think what we should do is a quick review of existing islands on the map and see if the new config introduces any negative side effects for them specifically. There aren't that many cases where islands border each other but the Aegean and French Polynesia especially come to mind. I suggest you keep this prepared for when I publish the recent state of the map.

Let's wait and see if that's actually necessary.

Hey, someone was working on a lake feature a while back. Crazy idea, not sure how feasible, but would it be possible to re-purpose the island feature as a lake feature. Somehow invert it so that the texture of the land is water and the water is land. That way the lake tiles would not be identical even with many instances side by side. I'm guessing the hardest part would be that islands are raised and lakes shouldn't be raised but it's an idea.

That might even work. Let me try.

EDIT:
I really don't like the results I was able to create.

Last edited:
Some screenshots to elaborate.

If the diagonal isthmuses will turn to straits, it will (roughly) look like this. (The islands become disconnected) As can be seen in the second screenshot, unit movement is not changed. A ship wouldn't be able to pass through the strait.

RFCE does allow a ship to pass trough the strait while still allowing the land unit to move diagonal accros the strait. The current path finding methods still apply, so the AI will handle it well.[/SPOILER]

Would it be possible for you to upload the files you changed in order to create this effect? I really love the look of it and I think it adds far more options to map design than it creates obstacles.

No problem. Here it is. Do note that this is a very rough version. I very roughly changed the heightmap and only changed 1 of the 6 diagonal textures, so many straits will not have water color. (You can edit that in the XML, but then you do not have much variety)

Attachments

• Straits.zip
    757.4 KB · Views: 144
I have been thinking about Islands a bit more and it would also be nice to allow building Forts (or an equivalent improvement) on Islands, thinking of the importance of naval bases in places like Malta. This could become especially useful later in development when I have time to expand on Fort rules. But we should think about including this already. In this context, is anyone willing to attempt to create art for this? The way the game usually works is that an improvement is a completely separate object that may move around the existing islands (think of placing a Fort in a forest), so placing something "on" one of the islands may not be possible. But I would already like improvement art that looks like one of the islands with fortification on top of it.

Something like this? (I expected the fort to be smaller compared to the island it is on. But this ratio can easily be edited.)

Spoiler :

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0117.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0117.JPG
    887.1 KB · Views: 1,153
I'd use a somewhat smaller fort but otherwise it looks good.

I made the fort smaller. The field of view of all screenshots are the same.
1. Original size
2. About 80% fort size
3. About 60% fort size
Spoiler :

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0118.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0118.JPG
    869 KB · Views: 1,026
Top Bottom