1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Alternative Map for DOC

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Bautos42, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Simperator Knoedel

Everyday we stray further from Rhye's light.

ales_, BasilBerylium and hnrysml like this.
  2. BarbarianX

BarbarianX Chieftain

No, and I also thing it's an unnecessary addition.

ales_ and mysterious_stalker like this.
  3. Leoreth

Leoreth Prince of Blood Moderator

Cold variant of the island feature:
    Spoiler :
    Civ4ScreenShot0378.JPG

This is still the same island feature, just a graphical variety like for forests. I found that green islands looked wrong in these latitudes. Maybe I can also create a dry variant.

BenZL43, ales_, need my speed and 4 others like this.
  4. Xyth

Xyth History Rewritten

Nice, I was thinking of doing that at some point too. Realism Invictus has a browner variant of the islands that you could use or adapt for a dry variant.

5. Leoreth

Oh nice, I didn't know. That saves me the embarrassment of trying to recreate that with colour adjustments alone. Of course feel free to use the cold islands.

6. Publicola

Publicola Prince

Is there a way to manually select which 'graphical variant' gets used on a specific tile? I notice there's a fair bit of variety -- big islands, small islands, mixture, arranged in a row, random, etc. -- but it'd be really handy when developing the new map if we could set in stone which type of 'islands' feature gets applied to each tile.

Jarlaxe Baenre likes this.
  7. Leoreth

The "variant" in this case refers to the different texture (i.e. either fertile green or cold grey). I think you are talking about the arrangement of the islands, in that case we cannot control that per tile. It is determined based on the surrounding land and other island tiles, similar to how the placement of trees is dynamically determined based on the underlying terrain and connection to nearby forest tiles. However, I also noticed that some configurations create undesirable graphics, in particular in some cases the art appears to be one tile north of where the feature actually is. It is possible to change that, but I am unable to do it because I do not understand the system involved.

8. Leoreth

Turns out that the other island feature in Realism Invictus was more of the cold, rocky kind that I already created. But! It turned out that I am not as terrible in texture editing as I first thought. It's surprising how quickly you can achieve acceptable results in gimp using the "make seamless" filter in combination with the clone tool.
    Spoiler :
    Civ4ScreenShot0379.JPG

This version turned out almost like desert, which made its use questionable in some cases where green is also not quite right. But it's a good basis for a fourth type that has a slightly warmer brown hue.

ales_, need my speed, 1SDAN and 3 others like this.
  9. Genghis Khaiser

Genghis Khaiser King

When is this map going to be implemented again?

Also, will it replace the original map or will it be an alternative to it?

10. Leoreth

Much later, but yes it will replace to original map, at least at first.

11. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

This can be edited by changing the xy-coordinates in the nif files.

12. Darnokthemage

Darnokthemage Chieftain

Place some cold islands outside Norways coast too.

Leoreth likes this.
  13. TJDowling

TJDowling King

Does anyone else feel that British Columbia (Canada) is quite cramped compared to the current map?

trevor likes this.
  14. Lokki242

Lokki242 That One Guy

Absolutely! I'm hoping to change it a ton once the development branch is up. Like, why is Vancouver Island a single tile despite being at least a third the size of Madagascar IRL?

TJDowling likes this.
  15. Steb

Steb King

Um, no? Madagascar is 587,000 km2, while Vancouver island is 31,000 km2. That's 20 times smaller. A better comparison might be Cuba, which is around 110,000 km2, and Hispaniola, which is 76,000 km2. Cuba has 5 tiles and Hispaniola has 3 (?), so with the same scale Vancouver island should have 1 or 2.

To be honest I'd say British Columbia is cramped in real life. So the map seems generally fine to me. But someone who knows the area better should definitely make a proposal!

ales_, BenZL43, need my speed and 3 others like this.
  16. Lokki242

Lokki242 That One Guy

Wow Vancouver Island seems way bigger when you live there I guess I'm just used to seeing it on zoomed in provincial maps LOL

1SDAN and TJDowling like this.
  17. TJDowling

TJDowling King

Fair enough, but California is half the size of British Columbia and was given a lot at the expense of Cascadia. I mean I get historical importance of California's many heavily populated urban centers warrants given it more space but the historical importance of Vancouver to the Canadian game is also important. I was hoping that "giving California more space" would also translate to "giving the Pacific coast more space". British Columbia is Canada's third most populous province! Like, in the first version of the new map Vancouver was a MOUNTAIN, though it seems that was changed now. There's still very few workable tiles in the area especially if you found a Prince Rupert to the North (which fair enough should be very unproductive if reflecting reality).

I don't think I have the map editing chops, or BC knowledge to make a proposal however, just pointing it out in case someone can make a better proposal.

To be fair on Google Maps due to projection Vancouver Island looks at least a quarter of Madagascar.

1SDAN likes this.
  18. TJDowling

TJDowling King

These are my suggestions however; Vancouver Island should be two tiles and even Graham Island could be one land tile not just an "island terrain feature". If it would be possible to increase the whole region by one tile vertically that would be great giving more space for Prince Rupert or Prince George (or Juneau if I'm acknowledging my Canadian bias). It would shift Alaska up or take out of the Alaska''s N/S length or Washington. This could be problematic but maybe there's a way to do it well. Definitely the BC interior should be hollowed out a bit more like in the current map with the Rockies on either side of a sizeable hilly (productive) region. I think the tile east of Vancouver should be a plain or hill (Fraser Valley).

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  19. DC123456789

DC123456789 Deity

When I made my proposals for Canada (most of which have been since integrated), I was intending for the northern BC city to be Prince George, since it's much larger, fills in the space better, and crowds Vancouver less - I specifically put a grassland tile there so it could be founded (it's already a little more north than it should be to fit better).

TJDowling likes this.
  20. TJDowling

TJDowling King

Yeah, Prince George is what I meant. I think Prince George is the name of the city in the current scenario even if you found it on BCs Northern coast where Prince Rupert is.

I should probably stop complaining before I get the Maritime provinces punitively re-sized to a more appropriate proportion. Speaking of, not sure if it's been added but we should include an island terrain feature where Prince Edward Island should be.

Last edited: May 25, 2018