1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Alternative Map for DOC

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Bautos42, Jul 11, 2017.

1. TJDowling

TJDowling King

Wait, so does this mean units will be able to stand on islands?

borhap88 and 1SDAN like this.
  2. Leoreth

Leoreth Prince of Blood Moderator

I don't really see a benefit in that and it might lead to AI issues. I am thinking mostly in terms of naval repair and defense, and the ability to position airplanes there (which hypothetically makes a war in the Pacific more interesting if the AI was capable of it).

Long term, I would like to introduce a zone of control feature to Forts (and cities) where it will become impossible to move past a defended Fort (i.e. you cannot move from one tile next to a Fort to another tile next to it). This would force you to attack the Fort instead which would increase their utility beyond the rare chokepoints on the map. The same would be true for naval Forts. For example on the new map, Malta is positioned ideally to have the entire connection between western and eastern Mediterranean under its control.

3. TsarAndreas

TsarAndreas Chieftain

Oh my goodness. I used to love ZoCs back in Civ 2. Great way to protect your borders.

Can see a string of French forts being built from New Orleans to Detroit.... British owned Gibraltar will be viable now.... The Maginot Line.... A real Great Wall perhaps...

Looking forward to seeing these implemented.

4. Zaddy

Zaddy Warlord

Europa Universalis fan, by any chance, Leoreth? ;)

5. TJDowling

TJDowling King

So I'm assuming an island would have to be within the player's cultural borders to build a fort there? Or could they be built outside the player's territory and be accessible to only them, or whoever takes control of it?

6. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Simperator Knoedel

Well, he did sweettalk me into spending 60€ on it a year ago, and since then I have played... five hours or so.

7. Leoreth

I am, but this is more inspired by the zone of control rules of Civ2.

Good question, I don't know yet.

I fail to see how that is my fault :)

1SDAN and hnrysml like this.
  8. cmakk1012

cmakk1012 Prince

Can’t wait to have sieges start off with -64% defensive bonuses :crazyeye:

9. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Deity

So, DoC is revamping the map? This might finally force me to come back and upgrade my version of the mod...

10. Leoreth

Yes!

11. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Simperator Knoedel

OBVIOUSLY you manipulated me because you secretly own Paradox stock, and so got 0.02 cents from my purchase, you scoundrel!

12. Leoreth

Looking at their recent gains, I wish that I did.

1SDAN likes this.
  13. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

14. Leoreth

I'm aware of that, regions will be revised in some areas with the new map.

(I sound like a Paradox developer blog now.)

15. Publicola

Publicola Prince

Two suggestions for rare earth minerals

1) There are significant rare earth deposits in Siberia (per this article, the biggest found at Tomtor, east of Yakutsk in the far northeastern corner of Russia). Per this article, Russia has 22% of the world's REM reserves, though historically it's done a poor job of exploiting those deposits. By scattering several RE resources through Siberia (including around Irkutsk/Lake Baikal), we might incentivize the AI and players to settle and develop those areas.

2) Can I suggest that modern buildings give bonuses per Rare Earth resource you control? For instance, hospitals give +1 :health: per RE, laboratories give +1 :science:, industrial parks give +1 :hammers:, mass transit gives either +1 :commerce: or +1 :health: since RE is often used in hybrid and electronic cars. Given how REs are used in agriculture -- both fertilizers and feed additives -- you might even have farms or pastures on bonus resources give +1 :food: with RE resources.

1SDAN, Leoreth and Crimean Lord like this.
  16. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

I do not like point 2. It will give civ with access to RE a very large boost compared to civs without access. Too large IMO.

Crimean Lord likes this.