Alternative Tech tree design

Toffer90

C2C Modder
A simpler and a more classic-C2C tech-tree design for those who prefer that.
Spoiler Background :
There's been a minor dispute regarding the development direction of the tech tree visual design.
Instead of starting arguments about it within the team I decided to branch the development and offer my preference as an alternative.

I applaud the initiative taken by the team-member who assumed command on the design development even though I was currently working on it at the time.
More modding activity within C2C is only positive, and it's nice that others on the team familiarize themselves with how to mod the UI so that I'm not the only one fully capable of it on the team.

It's more performance friendly and supports "advanced start" game option.

v2.9 works on latest SVN (please tell me when this becomes false) which is currently rev. 11569.
v2.9.1 works on latest SVN (please tell me when this becomes false) which is currently rev. 11575.

Installation: Just drag & drop the top folders, called assets and resource, to the caveman2cosmos folder and overwrite what's there.

Attachments

• Alt_Tech-Tree_Design v2.9.7z
    24.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Alt_Tech-Tree_Design v2.9.1.7z
    24.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Spoiler Tech colours :
I am wondering if I should reduce the amount of colours...
Perhaps available techs in future era should have the same colour and style as available techs in current era have?

Tech researched
Tech_Has.jpg

Tech unavailable
Tech_UnAvail.jpg

Available tech - current era
Tech_AvailCur.jpg

Available tech - previous eras
Tech_AvailPrev.jpg

Available tech - future eras
Tech_AvailFut.jpg

Selected Tech - First in queue
Tech_Selected0.jpg

Selected Tech - Not first, nor last, in queue (seen when queue > 2)
Tech_Selected1.jpg

Selected Tech - Last in queue (seen when queue > 1)
Tech_Selected2.jpg

Functional differences and overview of screen.

tree.jpg

1. These arrows will cycle through and scroll to all the x grid tech coordinates where there's a tech that can be researched immediately. Useful for finding stray techs left behind in the tech tree or quickly jump to relevant part of tree if you wandered off and forgot what era you are currently in.

2. This will dynamically change when you scroll the tech tree and tells what era is currently in focus.

3. This will open a small context menu listing all eras and how many techs are available or unavailable for research in each. Clicking an Era will scroll the tech tree to the start of that era. Moving the mouse outside the menu will automatically close the menu.
Spoiler era menu :
eraMenu.jpg
Ancient is the current era, nanotech is higlighted because my mouse was on it when I took the screenshot.

Last edited:
So you have removed the option of hiding (removing) techs that you have already learnt? With that option there was no problem finding forgotten techs ;) The only problem was the number of empty columns between techs could get large.

One minor problem with your choice of colours is that they are bad for both types of colour blindness, red-blue and blue-green.

So you have removed the option of hiding (removing) techs that you have already learnt? With that option there was no problem finding forgotten techs ;) The only problem was the number of empty columns between techs could get large.
I saw little need for it, the navigation arrows at the bottom left makes it easy to cycle through forgotten techs, and the era menu tells you how many techs are "forgotten" in a previous era.
One minor problem with your choice of colours is that they are bad for both types of colour blindness, red-blue and blue-green.
I see, I did think about it, but I don't really know much about colourblindness.
I would really like for someone with colourblindness to help guide me in picking colours. You know of anyone?

Many years ago I worked with two red-blue colourblind people. They would have not seen the difference between the unavailable and current era colours you have chosen. Our clients wanted those colours for problem and selected for detail on a privacy assistant we were building them.

The best option would be to have an options screen that lets the player choose their preferred colours. With your colours as the default and a way to reset to the default.

Spoiler Changelog :
v1.0 ▬ Initial version, works on latest SVN revision which is atm 11057. (11.2.19)
v1.1 ▬ Minor nitpick in UI positioning. (11.4.19)
v1.2 ▬ Staying ahead of future problems (11.8.19)
  • v1.1 would not have worked on next SVN revision, meaning 11058.
  • v1.2 should work on 11058 unless further unexpected changes occur on git.
v1.3 ▬ Minor tweaks to the debug functionality. (11.18.19)
v1.4 ▬ Detects max y grid used for techs and adjust empty space between techs vertically accordingly. (03.02.20)
  • Needed for MtoS modmod which have two more rows in the tech tree.
v1.5 ▬ Updated for the unit-/building-class removal on SVN. (23.03.20)
  • SVN rev. 11132 is the oldest C2C revision this now works on.
v1.6 ▬ Fixed incompatibility with newest SVN revisions. (21.04.20)
  • SVN rev. 11149 is the oldest C2C revision this now works on.
v1.7 ▬ Fixed incompatibility with newest SVN revisions. (12.05.20)
  • SVN rev. 11172 is the oldest C2C revision this now works on.
v1.8 ▬ Fixed incompatibility with newest SVN revisions. (19.06.20)
  • SVN rev. 11183 is the oldest C2C revision this now works on.
v1.9 ▬ Fixed incompatibility with newest SVN revisions. (13.07.20)
  • SVN rev. 11194 is the oldest C2C revision this now works on.
v2.0 ▬ Fixed incompatibility with newest SVN revisions. (23.11.20)
  • C2C v41 Edition
v2.1 ▬ Fixed incompatibility with newest SVN revisions. (08.12.20)
  • SVN rev. 11261 is the oldest C2C revision this now works on.
v2.2a ▬ Fixed incompatibility with newest SVN revisions. (13.05.21)
  • SVN rev. 11322 is the oldest C2C revision this now works on.
v2.2b ▬ Fixed incompatibility with newest SVN revisions. (08.06.21)
  • SVN rev. 11335 is the oldest C2C revision this now works on.
v2.3 ▬ Fixed incompatibility with newest SVN revisions. (11.07.21)
  • SVN rev. 11351 is the oldest C2C revision this now works on.
v2.4 ▬ Fixed minor incompatibility with newest SVN revisions. (22.12.21)
  • SVN rev. 11393 is the oldest C2C revision this now works on.
v2.5 ▬ Fixed incompatibility with newest SVN revisions. (14.03.22)
  • SVN rev. 11419 is the oldest C2C revision this now works on.
v2.6 ▬ Fixed incompatibility with newest SVN revisions. (14.06.22)
  • SVN rev. 11474 is the oldest C2C revision this now works on.
v2.7 ▬ Fixed incompatibility with future SVN revisions (11486). (05.07.22)
  • SVN rev. 11486 is the oldest C2C revision this now works on.

Last edited:
Doesn't seem to work on the latest SVN 11322.

Yes, does this mod affect diplomacy screens as well? Because some of my diplomacy screens are little wonky.

Well then it is the latest SVN.

SVN 11335 broke it.

11351 broke it.

Not working again.

Well the top was glitching out, but when I went to take a screenshot nothing. I swear my computer needs a exorcism, this week has been nothing but weird and unrepeatable glitches.

11474 changed one of the files in this modmod.

You're welcome.

Top Bottom