Alternative Timelines

ahaha, i was wondering if you'd see that:p

btw, did that last PM i sent you work on that project "we" were working on, Hydro said his worked, but EldrinFal said his still crashes?

Maybe I need clarification on the setup.

From what I read of your PM, I am to copy the C2C folder so it will be "Caveman2Cosmos - Copy". I tried loading the module like that.

Before I Load the Mod, do I need to change that folder name? i.e. should the COPY be my ORIGINAL / Non-modified version and the "beta" we're testing be changed to the normal "Caveman2Cosmos" ?

Edit: StrategyOnly, have you considered setting up a private mailing list or Google group type thing for developer discussion?

Alright, I'm gunna throw this out there...

Has the idea been discussed to add dinosaurs to the early game? It would be an Alternative Timeline, i.e. if the Ice Age never happened. Just curious :)

Has the idea been discussed to add dinosaurs to the early game? It would be an Alternative Timeline, i.e. if the Ice Age never happened. Just curious :)
Ice Age and dinosaur extinction have nothing to do with each other. Dinosaurs (except for birds) died out 65 million years ago while the current ice age started about 33 million years ago (and is still going on, we are but in an interglacial although human interference might change that in any direction).

Ice Age and dinosaur extinction have nothing to do with each other. Dinosaurs (except for birds) died out 65 million years ago while the current ice age started about 33 million years ago (and is still going on, we are but in an interglacial although human interference might change that in any direction).

Alright, well I'm no paleontologist, but I know one of the current theories is a meteor strike. From what I've seen on various Discovery/NatGeo programs, I thought they believed this COULD have triggered an ice age by a massive dust cloud blocking out the sun. :scan:

In any case, SOME event caused it. So in an Alternate Timeline that event didn't occur. :)

Yeah, the meteor strike is one of the most probable theories but it does not really create a full blown ice age (which usually take several 10 million years). The speed of the climate change from a meteor strike is what can cause an extinction.

If you use one of the Perfect World map scripts, then yes, meteors kill off all dinosaurs.
From the debug log it creates: :)
A meteor has struck the Earth at 55, 40!!
A meteor has struck the Earth at 105, 15!!
A meteor has struck the Earth at 25, 45!!
A meteor has struck the Earth at 10, 30!!
A meteor has struck the Earth at 5, 20!!

The age of dinosaurs has come to a cataclysmic end.

Yeah, the meteor strike is one of the most probable theories but it does not really create a full blown ice age (which usually take several 10 million years). The speed of the climate change from a meteor strike is what can cause an extinction.

If you use one of the Perfect World map scripts, then yes, meteors kill off all dinosaurs.
From the debug log it creates: :)
A meteor has struck the Earth at 55, 40!!
A meteor has struck the Earth at 105, 15!!
A meteor has struck the Earth at 25, 45!!
A meteor has struck the Earth at 10, 30!!
A meteor has struck the Earth at 5, 20!!

The age of dinosaurs has come to a cataclysmic end.

ROFL :lol: Well in the Alternate History, some survived. The meteors weren't big enough to change the climate :mischief:

A big NO. While there are some fun alternative timelines where not all dinosaurs died out I don't want to go that far. The closest we are going is having prehistoric megafauna that never went extinct such as the Mammoth, Ground Sloths, etc. I am huge zoology/paleontology nerd and having dinosaurs at the same time as people is absurd as putting in dragons or sea serpents.

Remember the alternative timelines need to be within the plausible. Thus things like magic or mythical creatures are out. If the dinosaurs survived (aside from say birds) then humans most likely never would have evolved.

Note I have seen plausible alternative timelines where dinosaurs and humans exist but all the really big dinosaurs went extinct and the mammals that did evolve are much different than what we know today. Here are some concept drawings ...

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs45/i/2009/056/9/c/Avititan_by_povorot.jpg
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs46/i/2009/224/c/7/Fun_gulates_by_povorot.jpg
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs41/i/2009/053/9/3/Mastodon_Analogue_by_povorot.jpg
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs49/i/2009/226/f/d/Chulengo_Diversity_by_povorot.jpg
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/008/0/5/Steppe_Wanderer_by_povorot.jpg
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs42/i/2009/064/d/7/Wooden_armor_by_povorot.jpg
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs41/f/2009/047/d/b/Flint_Knapping_by_povorot.jpg
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs43/i/2009/100/e/3/Bronze_Age_by_povorot.jpg
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs48/i/2009/164/f/a/Neolithic_Eurasian_Steppe_by_povorot.jpg
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/024/b/5/Clothing_of_the_Dinosauroids_2_by_povorot.jpg

Basically this alternative timeline in these pictures have it where not all lineages of dinosaurs died out since the disaster was not as bad. Humans eventually evolved and co-exist on a planet with sapient raptor-like dinosaurs.

While I very much enjoy alternative timelines like this it is much too extreme to implement in our game since we have modern fauna and flora which may not have evolved if dinosaurs had survived. Not to mention even if they did they would be much different than the dinosaurs we are familiar with since they would have all that time to evolve.

The short answer is no. Too many factors to account for since its a very long time since the dinosaurs.

A big NO. While there are some fun alternative timelines where not all dinosaurs died out I don't want to go that far. The closest we are going is having prehistoric megafauna that never went extinct such as the Mammoth, Ground Sloths, etc. I am huge zoology/paleontology nerd and having dinosaurs at the same time as people is absurd as putting in dragons or sea serpents.

Remember the alternative timelines need to be within the plausible. Thus things like magic or mythical creatures are out. If the dinosaurs survived (aside from say birds) then humans most likely never would have evolved.

Note I have seen plausible alternative timelines where dinosaurs and humans exist but all the really big dinosaurs went extinct and the mammals that did evolve are much different than what we know today. Here are some concept drawings ...

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs45/i/2009/056/9/c/Avititan_by_povorot.jpg
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs46/i/2009/224/c/7/Fun_gulates_by_povorot.jpg
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs41/i/2009/053/9/3/Mastodon_Analogue_by_povorot.jpg
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs49/i/2009/226/f/d/Chulengo_Diversity_by_povorot.jpg
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/008/0/5/Steppe_Wanderer_by_povorot.jpg
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs42/i/2009/064/d/7/Wooden_armor_by_povorot.jpg
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs41/f/2009/047/d/b/Flint_Knapping_by_povorot.jpg
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs43/i/2009/100/e/3/Bronze_Age_by_povorot.jpg
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs48/i/2009/164/f/a/Neolithic_Eurasian_Steppe_by_povorot.jpg
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/024/b/5/Clothing_of_the_Dinosauroids_2_by_povorot.jpg

Basically this alternative timeline in these pictures have it where not all lineages of dinosaurs died out since the disaster was not as bad. Humans eventually evolved and co-exist on a planet with sapient raptor-like dinosaurs.

While I very much enjoy alternative timelines like this it is much too extreme to implement in our game since we have modern fauna and flora which may not have evolved if dinosaurs had survived. Not to mention even if they did they would be much different than the dinosaurs we are familiar with since they would have all that time to evolve.

The short answer is no. Too many factors to account for since its a very long time since the dinosaurs.

Er... you know there is already an optional Sea Serpent and Mermaid right? :mischief:

Clearly it is one of those things that would be optional if it were ever included. I'm one of those people that don't consider my Civ game as being restricted to Earth's timeline, which is why I like DH's Alternate Timeline units. On some planet somewhere in this universe, or the infinite parallel world universes some scientists theorize about, I bet there are dinosaurs that evolved later, or mankind that evolved earlier, or other number of other possibilities that would pit them together. ;)

Er... you know there is already an optional Sea Serpent and Mermaid right? :mischief:

Clearly it is one of those things that would be optional if it were ever included. I'm one of those people that don't consider my Civ game as being restricted to Earth's timeline, which is why I like DH's Alternate Timeline units. On some planet somewhere in this universe, or the infinite parallel world universes some scientists theorize about, I bet there are dinosaurs that evolved later, or mankind that evolved earlier, or other number of other possibilities that would pit them together. ;)

I have pushed for DH's stuff to be optional. But or the core recommended stuff no mythical or paranormal. Personally I am not really happy with his mermaid, sea serpent, bear riders, etc. If we were running a fantasy setting that would be one thing, but C2C is more in the middle as not historically accurate, but not a fantasy mod either.

As for parallel worlds I would like to keep it within a familiar realm. Since it infinite possibilities we could have anything if we took that philosophy. We could have a world run by bugs or fish or aliens took over or physics are changed or evolution ran completely differently from any creature we know.

The realm I would like to have this mod is everything happened the same up till the beginning of the prehistoric era. From there you the play get to choose how human history plays out. Sure there are differences such as if you play on a random map you will not have the same continents as real life. And you will not encounter every civ that existed in real life. But its a game after all and we can only do so much. I mean we already have enough to try to recreate as it is diverging wildly from our own timeline is difficult if not impossible to do.

For example stuff I am cool with ...

- Mammoth Domestication (We domesticated elphants, why not mammoths? We existed at the same time. his seems plausable).
- Steampunk (Developing modern technology earlier than it happened sounds fine since we obviously developed it eventually).
- Space Techs (What today is science fiction is to tomorrows science fact.)

Things I am not cool with ...

- Mythical Creatures (This would be dragons, mermaids, etc. Stuff that doesn't exist nor could not exist without major genetic manipulation).
- Magic (Aside from say technology appearing magical to more primitive civs. The typical magic such as magic spells, etc are a no no)
- Extreme Alternative Timelines (Such as Cat people instead of Humans, or everything is made of candy. Stuff that's so extreme that it is only seen in cartoons).

I hope you understand what loose limits I want to put on the project. There is so much other stuff we can do that is plausible or actually DID happen in human history. We should have no shortage of cool things to added even without mermaids and dragons.

Personally I am not really happy with his mermaid, sea serpent, bear riders, etc. If we were running a fantasy setting that would be one thing, but C2C is more in the middle as not historically accurate, but not a fantasy mod either.

For example stuff I am cool with ...

- Mammoth Domestication (We domesticated elephants, why not mammoths? We existed at the same time. his seems plausible).
- Steampunk (Developing modern technology earlier than it happened sounds fine since we obviously developed it eventually).
- Space Techs (What today is science fiction is to tomorrows science fact.)

Things I am not cool with ...

- Mythical Creatures (This would be dragons, mermaids, etc. Stuff that doesn't exist nor could not exist without major genetic manipulation).
- Magic (Aside from say technology appearing magical to more primitive civs. The typical magic such as magic spells, etc are a no no)
- Extreme Alternative Timelines (Such as Cat people instead of Humans, or everything is made of candy. Stuff that's so extreme that it is only seen in cartoons).

I hope you understand what loose limits I want to put on the project. There is so much other stuff we can do that is plausible or actually DID happen in human history. We should have no shortage of cool things to added even without mermaids and dragons.

I would have to agree here, just glad it is "Optional." Mermaids is pushing it a little, but take off the Sea-Shells and well then thats a different story:p:drool:

Thats why is wish i still kept up on my Fantasy Mod. I have it set with RoM, before he went into all the BUG options stuff, plus i love the fantasy units i put together. Dang wish i was really good at doing everything that needs it, but Oh Well, as they say, "Thats Life."

I would have to agree here, just glad it is "Optional." Mermaids is pushing it a little, but take off the Sea-Shells and well then thats a different story:p:drool:

Hah!:lol: Is that the AO Game Option? :lol:

Thats why is wish i still kept up on my Fantasy Mod. I have it set with RoM, before he went into all the BUG options stuff, plus i love the fantasy units i put together. Dang wish i was really good at doing everything that needs it, but Oh Well, as they say, "Thats Life."

Guys, I wasn't telling ANYONE to work on this. I was just throwing the idea out into the mix, as I stated in my OP. And I COMPLETELY agree that dinos, mermaids, bear riders, etc. belong as OPTIONAL ONLY. I fully understand that what MY preferences are, are not what the majority would prefer. But at the same time, if someone had a strong interest in adding such an element, they could freely do so as a ModModMOd (how many would we be up to??) which they could use themselves, or offer to CF as they pleased. Because in the end it's just a game for people to have fun. :)

so are we tackling these alternate paths in order or can we pick and choose favorites, cause I really want to hear about what Retro Space Age means to you and how it would play out gameplaywise. A path to the galactic era for the impatient without the benefit of electronics? Raygun space troopers? Atomic automobiles?

so are we tackling these alternate paths in order or can we pick and choose favorites, cause I really want to hear about what Retro Space Age means to you and how it would play out gameplaywise. A path to the galactic era for the impatient without the benefit of electronics? Raygun space troopers? Atomic automobiles?

I would like to get more of the Galactic Era in place before we tackle that possible alternate era. Perhaps if any one should be put in first be steam punk since that has the most info for it.

I had an attack of inspiration last night (Dinosaurs probably had something to do with it:D), and came up with using events to add alternative timeline stuff.

The idea is to have several events that are indistinguable for the player. As an example:

A famous explorer arrives at your court asking for government fundig for his most ambitious expedition yet. In return, he promises to give a part of any treassure he might uncover.
*We cant afford it (Nothing happens)
*We can only make a small contribution (-gold)
*We'd be delighted! How much do you need? (-more gold)

Tis is all the player sees. My design have 4 of these events, with different rewards:
1. Failed expedition: The explores die, or fail to find anyting interesting. No reward.
2. The expedition have uncovered new plants and animals that could benefit our empire! Recive a number of plantable resources(units), similar to a great farmer, but can only plant one type of resource. e.g. Plantable resource (cow), plantable resource (hemp) etc. Number of resorces depends om how much money you gave the explorer.
3. The explorers have uncovered El dorado!/One of the seven cities of gold/ etc. Recieve a number of Treassure units.
4. The explorers have found a lost world, filled with all manner of strange beasts. Recieve a number of plantable dinosaur resources.

The first two events would be the most common outcomes, but rarer results should be comon enough to make it a tough decission wheter or not to provide funding. Events like these could add a bit of randomness and unpredictability to the game in regards to more alternative stuff.

One could simply have result 4 randomly adding the Fossil feature to a few tiles, though, and you'd have the same effect. Or it could grant you a unique, unbuildable Paleontologist unit which can "plant" the Fossil feature much as the Great Farmer can plant crop resources.

I had an attack of inspiration last night (Dinosaurs probably had something to do with it:D), and came up with using events to add alternative timeline stuff.

The idea is to have several events that are indistinguable for the player. As an example:

A famous explorer arrives at your court asking for government fundig for his most ambitious expedition yet. In return, he promises to give a part of any treassure he might uncover.

Tis is all the player sees. My design have 4 of these events, with different rewards:
1. Failed expedition: The explores die, or fail to find anyting interesting. No reward.
2. The expedition have uncovered new plants and animals that could benefit our empire! Recive a number of plantable resources(units), similar to a great farmer, but can only plant one type of resource. e.g. Plantable resource (cow), plantable resource (hemp) etc. Number of resorces depends om how much money you gave the explorer.
3. The explorers have uncovered El dorado!/One of the seven cities of gold/ etc. Recieve a number of Treassure units.
4. The explorers have found a lost world, filled with all manner of strange beasts. Recieve a number of plantable dinosaur resources.

The first two events would be the most common outcomes, but rarer results should be comon enough to make it a tough decission wheter or not to provide funding. Events like these could add a bit of randomness and unpredictability to the game in regards to more alternative stuff.

I like the second. In fact it may inspire a solution to the great farmer problem. We have specific units to plant each of the plant and animal resources. Then this event of a spy event can give a limited number of those people. It stops the spaming of resources but enables you to get hold of resources you may not have in your empire.

Well the problem is we have reached our resource limit. So a dinosaur resource would not be possible. However we could have it where they find a fossil site. It would be a terrain feature and not a resource.

I still don't think we have reached a limit. I think the change to how the font file is handled needs to be applied to he font_75 file as well.

Ideas often spawn new ideas. That's the purpose of brainstorming. :goodjob:

Top Bottom