[NFP] Am I the only one to enjoy playing the game with no mods...?

well, there are mods trying to do the opposite, but yes, in the context of civ6 and the lack of tools/documentation for the AI, there are only a few mods like that.

I don't use game modes or mods, I play on Deity with all victory conditions enabled too, sometimes when you get a bad start the AI can actually be a challenge, but the game modes and mods just make it too easy and that just isn't fun for me, I need more than just a sandbox experience.

For sure there are many mods out there which make the game easier on the gameplayside (and those are ones I'm avoiding, too)...but as soon as the removed "difficulty" is in fact only removing mindless clicking (like "Quick Deals" does), I don't see that point for me and then I will use mods.

I mostly stick to just UI improvement mods. There are some of those which just make QoL so much better.

I occasionally turn on additional natural/world wonders... But the only non-UI improvement I have permanently on is a Babylon rework (Port Lime) because I just can't enjoy the dev's version of Babylon :(

Edit: And Tomatekh's historical religions. It does annoy me seeing civs found very ahistoric religions so while this does have some gameplay effects (I think)... I do prefer it.

Adding movement to all units does help the AI out quite a bit. It's easier for them to move and shoot and focus fire on a unit. Does it make them competitive with humans? No way, but I do hear that unit killed sound effect more. Gran Columbia consistently wipes out neighbors in my games.

And Tomatekh's historical religions. It does annoy me seeing civs found very ahistoric religions so while this does have some gameplay effects (I think)... I do prefer it.
Tomatekh's Historical Religions only adds a bunch more religious symbols and sets leaders to prefer the religion they historically practiced so it's essentially an aesthetic mod. (And I agree that it's absolutely essential.)

Tomatekh's Historical Religions only adds a bunch more religious symbols and sets leaders to prefer the religion they historically practiced so it's essentially an aesthetic mod. (And I agree that it's absolutely essential.)

Hmm... I don't know why but I thought it also changed the various tenets they preferred. I could swear I sew weirder picks from the AI when running it.

Hmm... I don't know why but I thought it also changed the various tenets they preferred. I could swear I sew weirder picks from the AI when running it.
Hmm, I'm pretty certain Historical Religions does not affect tenet preferences (e.g., I've never seen worship sites matched with the religion at hand by the AI), but the AI's tenet priorities do seem to change every few patches and often seem rather...illogical.

Hmm, I'm pretty certain Historical Religions does not affect tenet preferences (e.g., I've never seen worship sites matched with the religion at hand by the AI), but the AI's tenet priorities do seem to change every few patches and often seem rather...illogical.

Yeah... That's why in my original post I wasn't sure if it affected gameplay... In any case - essential mod IMO

I don't add any mods that change gameplay. Somehow for me personally it just doesn't feel like winning "the game" if I change the rules of the game. But no judgement of those who do. I'm sure I will eventually use them after I've beaten the game in every way I care to.
I also hate spending a ton of time combing through data in various bits of UI when it can be collated for me in an easy to consume format.

So these are my must-haves. I would find the game tremendously less fun and more tedious without them.

Quick Deals
Detailed Map Tacks
Extended Policy Cards
Better Report Screen (UI)

Its ridiculous that these 4 mods are’nt part of the base game and a modder had to make them

Its ridiculous that these 4 mods are’nt part of the base game and a modder had to make them

Yeah I just recently added them. Wish I had these long long ago. In my fantasy world, Firaxis pays nice royalties to each mod creator and then adds the mods as standard parts of the game.

Better Builder Tracking Charges (which instantly lets me see how many charges a builder has left, without needing to click on them)
The number of guys standing up is the number of charges remaining.

I just don't want to mess around with the updates and potential game-breaking effects, vanilla games has already enough bugs as it is (first question in these forums when there is a strange observation: "do you have any mods enabled?").
That was my main blocker. I'm not expecting many updates by now, so I'm trying more and more of them.

I do not play with mods. I have tried a few over the years, but do not find they improve gameplay IMHO. The only non-official content I use are custom maps.

Played all Civs since Civ2 and never been keen on mods. Have briefly tried the Civ6 'modes' and thoroughly unimpressed with each and every single one of them. :)

Played all Civs since Civ2 and never been keen on mods. Have briefly tried the Civ6 'modes' and thoroughly unimpressed with each and every single one of them. :)

UI mods are a must, especially with the last two iterations. Firaxis does a poor UI job, and it's getting worse with every version of civ.

Top Bottom