1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Amazon units

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Unit Graphics' started by SaibotLieh, Jan 4, 2010.

1. phungus420

phungus420 Chieftain

The models look great, and so I have a request, if your interested. The Vietnamese were known to use their women in ancient times in warfare. I can't imagine the fairer sex with all it's reduced strength and lung capicity actually comprising the main bulk of melee ancient armies, but it would be cool to still add in a female unit to note this (I am already using a female great general for the ancient Vietnamese Warlord). I can believe there were women fighting in support roles, and your female archer looks like she could be asian and looks like she could work, at least from a distance, but that green color dress just doesn't look right for the Vietnamese. Any chance you could reskin the dress, and also give her maybe a more asian look? Just a request if you're interested. Also I'd need to know the polycount and texture size to know if the model is usable in the first place, and I wanted to throw that out there in case you want to see your art used in LoR.

2. SaibotLieh

SaibotLieh Chieftain

Sounds interesting. The archer unit uses two textures, one with the pixel size of 128*128 and one with the size of 128*16. The unit has a polycount of 855. The color of the dress is given by the team color and thus variable. I'll have to know what your idea of a Vietnamese look is. If it only would be a color change it should be no problem. If you want to have the dress to sport a certain pattern, that would be more complicated. At the moment each triangle of the dress uses practically the same part of the texture (highlighted part):

Spoiler :

I could change this, but then other parts of the units skin have to be simplified in some way, cause the texture is pretty crammed.

Attached Files:

3. phungus420

phungus420 Chieftain

I want something that has the look of a Vietnamese Peasant Woman who would be loosing arrows at an invading Chinese army in 1000BC, I'm not sure on any specifics. Mainly the color seemed wrong at first glance, so the current model being teamcolor may work on it's own. Of course if you want to make any alterations to the model to fit more with the concept, I'll definitely use it, I'm more just throwing it out there in case you're interested :)

4. SaibotLieh

SaibotLieh Chieftain

Sure I am. :) If you could find an image I could see what I can do. The archer model in the currently online modcomp is an older version of mine (main difference is that it still uses the archer_128 texture, too). So if you want to use the archer unit as it is, I could sent you my better version. Or you could wait until I've finished all amazon units and repost the amazon modcomp (only two units still to go).

5. phungus420

phungus420 Chieftain

There's no period art of Vietnamese Women soldiers I can find. Only modern day revisions. So how it's supposed to look is really just about how the artist imagines the concept. I've also re-thought it and if you're interested in making some ancient Vietnamese female combatants I could use more then just an archer. I forgot I can have mixed formations, so I could put 2 males and 1 female in the axeman formation (since the regular formation for that unit is 3 units), and so on, would also be useful for the Vietcong model. This would really give the Vietnamese art some flavor, and the bonus is it would actually be sort of historically accurate as it's certainly recorded there were women fighting in their ancient and modern armies.

I'm including the art for the current Vietnamese units that I could see fighting side by side with women soldiers; since the female models would be in the formation with them it would be good to know what they looked like standing together in formation; the axeman, swordsman, vietcong, and horseman would have 2 males and 1 female, the archer would be 2 females and 1 male. I've also included the Ancient Vietnam Warlord unit, since it's a female model. If you decide to do these models, that would be outstanding :king: They would definatly find use in Legends of Revolution, and there is a strong chance they'd be used in cybrxkhan's World of Legends and The_Capo's Diplo Games and other mods as well. Thanks for taking the time and having a look at this.

6. The Capo

The Capo godless Heathen

I would certainly love to have some females amongst my early and medieval Vietnamese soldiers. :goodjob:

I'm sure it would be good for morale. :mischief:

7. Dumanios

Dumanios MLG

Who will the rens look?

8. SaibotLieh

SaibotLieh Chieftain

Well, here is my first take on the Vietnamese women soldiers (only the ancient/medieval ones so far). For now I've only swaped the bodies with the one of the asian female settler. If you like this look I'll start with the bone rigging and some reskinning (mainly putting those tattoos and wristbands on the units).

Spoiler :

:confused:

Attached Files:

9. Dumanios

Dumanios MLG

Renaissence Units. What'll they look like?

10. phungus420

phungus420 Chieftain

Those models look good to me, thanks for working on them. I'll just keep on eye on this forum, and this thread, to see when you're done with them. Also please ensure all the models have a comperable poly count and texture size to standard BtS models.

11. SaibotLieh

SaibotLieh Chieftain

Ah, sorry, I don't plan to make any renaissence or industrial models for now.

12. SaibotLieh

SaibotLieh Chieftain

Okay, I've finished the rerigging and -skinning of the Vietnamese woman soldiers (everything was surprisingly easy). The units look like this now:

Spoiler :

The polycount and the number of textures used is compareable to the original Vietnamese units.
    I'll also modify the animation files to make them sound female. That is easy, but rather boring work. As soon as I've finished that (and if no complains about the units were given) I'll put the units up for download.

Attached Files:

13. GeoModder

GeoModder Chieftain

They look good, SaibotLieh. :D

14. SaibotLieh

SaibotLieh Chieftain

15. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

Yowza, I like them!

I MUST put them in WoL just for the hell of it.

16. The Capo

The Capo godless Heathen

Great work SL. They're going in my mod for sure. :goodjob:

17. SaibotLieh

SaibotLieh Chieftain

I've added a matching war elephant unit to the female Vietnamese soldier pack. I think it was somehow requested and at least the animation files should also be usable with the Trung sisters. ;)

Spoiler :

18. phungus420

phungus420 Chieftain

Awesome SaibotLieh, they look good, and I'll be adding them next update; I'm still waiting on some coding fixes that need to be done by Emperor Fool for BULL and Jdog for BetterAI to do that. When you get around to modern stuff, I'd also like to include a female model for the Vietcong unit in LoR, the model is in the Vietnamese units in the attachment above. Thanks again for doing these.

19. SaibotLieh

SaibotLieh Chieftain

Here are the last two amazon units that make my set complete, a crossbowwoman and a javelin thrower. The later will be the replacement for the axeman:

Spoiler :

Download link: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=14202

Next I'll do some rework on some of my older amazon units. Then finally an upgraded version of my amazon modcomp will be put on for download. :)

20. SaibotLieh

SaibotLieh Chieftain

I've updated my Amazon modcomp to version 2.0! Got to http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=348618 for more information.

Changes are:

- Added my new Amazon units.
    - Rewrote the used python functions to make them run faster
    - Reworked all skins, combined some artfiles to make the units use less memory.
    - Reworked some unit models.
    - Added melee weapons in scabbards to the units that don't have them ready all the time. At the time they draw their melee weapons, the weapons in the scabbards disappear while the scabbards stay.
    Spoiler :

The idle Crossbowwomen have a sword in their scabbard, the fighting ones have them drawn

- The Amazon Warrior now uses different idle and run animations.
    - Changes all ..man descriptions to ..woman. For example, Amazon Greatswordsman is now named Amazon Greatswordswoman.