Americans, have fun with the Metric system

:lol:

Hahaha, that is great. So true. The Imperial System is fairly backwards, no offense, etc. But then again, I know my hright in feet/inches, but have no idea about my height in metric, even though I live in a Metric country, apparently.

Originally posted by RealGoober
Hahaha, that is great. So true. The Imperial System is fairly backwards, no offense, etc. But then again, I know my hright in feet/inches, but have no idea about my height in metric, even though I live in a Metric country, apparently.

I do know my height in Metric units, but there's no point in telling anyone that I'm 1.77m tall when they would have to convert it into Imperial units so they can understand. So I just say I'm 5'11".

The "special conversions" were still hilarious.

Hehehehehehe Silly ways of mesuring things. I say we all just go back to the way they did it before with all the "cubits" and things like that.

10 cards = 1 decacards :lol:

I never understood why the foot/inch system is still in use, do you have 12 fingers or what? :confused: :)

I truly think that pro sports are the only things keeping the U.S. from using metric.

Actually the success of the jokes is a testimony to the versatility of the metric system and the universality of the multipliers and sub-mulipliers (tera, giga.....milli, micro). No widely variable conversion factors to worry about is a definite plus to learning and remembering for young school kids. It is only the prejudice of the "oldies" that provide any resistance to its adoption.

SanPellegrinno, just because we have ten fingers, it doesn't mean we should have a base 10 number system, especially when 12 is so much more divisible. ie 10=1*10=2*5, 12=1*12=2*6=3*4. From this evidence I would presume that the imperial system is somewhat more effective for small units.

Top Bottom