1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

An idea for a new Fighting system

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by moopoo, Mar 3, 2008.

1. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

Good points, but those are easily handled just as Partisans were, as triggered events. A good trigger would be a high :) to :mad: ratio and maybe some other influences, like the culture of the city as a whole and the civics of the empire (e.g. nationhood). Easily there are other cases of people just plain rolling over once their army was outmaneuvered, and not annhiliated.

2. mamba

mamba Deity

No, it is not that dangerous, no idea how he managed to achieve that (just truly bad luck I guess). Yes, in theory you could mess up majorly and get a result like that, but the chances must be similar to those of winning the lottery.

If you want to actually dive into C, take a look at these books http://mindview.net/Books/TICPP/ThinkingInCPP2e.html

I never read them, but I did like his Java book ;)

3. moopoo

moopoo King

Cheers. Although at the moment I've decided to have a look at Graphics modding (go check out Chugg's Cultural Diversity thread if you want the full story :lol:)

4. pdonettes

pdonettes Chieftain

I really like your ideas, however, realism isn't the ultimate goal. The one thing that I think is wrong with the whole concept of Civ is one that you danced around and I think you almost hit it on the head. Our armies don't occupy our cities. Our units are made up of citizens. Our current units in America are the national guard, and the army reserves. So after reading everything you guys have said, this is my suggestion. Make it a special person type. you pull people from their respective jobs (farming, mining or whatever) and they defend the town instead. There is no production bonus, but they boost defense. If the city is attacked, the city defends itself (like a unit) only with strength equal to the citizens on defense. you lose population points in an attack anyway, so this would be realistic. The other thing is, our active army units are on military bases. Not every city has a military base, and most towns around military bases are only there for the base. I would suggest having their be 2 types of cities. Civilian population centers, and military bases, or possibly have some cities have military bases attached to them. Military bases obviously house the units and should be located in strategic locations, however, they would not work the land the way a city does. They would however be able to build and train units and have several trade related buildings and functions. There should also be an option to have them upgrade to full cities in the future, maybe by building a city hall or something, especially when you consider how many cities of today originally were just military out posts. Just a thought. I have no idea how easy it is to implement, but I think you could probably mod it using some of the code in the space mod on BTS. I know they have unique cities there because of the whole planet thing. Just an idea. My dad is trying to convince me to start modding, so maybe I will start soon. :)

5. black baron

black baron Daemon Prince of Tzeentch

good point. you might as well be able to delete the civilian unit and integrate it back into the population, as for the military instillation that makes sense but i did mention something about a fort or something earlier that it would help with the problem of no production or unhappiness as well as offer a defensive bonus.

i just remembered something, i tried to siege a city before (i forgot which civ4/expansion it was) but didn't realize it had little to no effect

6. thrallgor

thrallgor Chieftain

This is a great idea. You could put the forts from Civ3 back in and station troops in them. also, you could have a "martial law" sort of thing so if you have civil unrest, you put troops in cities. You could also do this in war-time.

7. frekk

frekk Scourge of St. Lawrence

But troops are stationed in cities, whenever and wherever they happen to be on front lines, and have always been. Leningrad, Stalingrad, Berlin ring any bells? And what about all those walled towns dotting the Old World? There were some very famous city sieges in every period of history.

In peacetime, or a long way from the front lines, it is relatively rare. But that's no different from the game, when you have only minimal units in your cities (unless there's civil unrest) far from the front lines - often just garrisons that haven't been upgraded and are weak on promotions. True, troops weren't normally allowed to return to Rome, once they'd been sent on a campaign. But not just the city. They weren't allowed anywhere within the heartlands at all. They were supposed to stay on and settle the frontiers, and remain within the provinces. There were troops in Rome. Green ones. Lots of them, enough to man 7 miles of city walls and towers with 16 main gates (later, when the Aurelian walls were built, 12 miles with nearly 400 towers).

Forts do need to be made more useful, but I don't think this is the way to do it.

8. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

Yes, you are right there, I just started and I thought I was smart until I tried figuring it out. But I have never not learned something I put my mind too, so I will keep studying it. What a challenge, any good tutorials that you know of? Thanks for any help.

9. moopoo

moopoo King

not really. I am now studying computer science at uni, so i'll cover C++ eventually, i'm sure. but yeah. wikibooks i guess.

10. Keinpferd

Keinpferd King

Hey moopoo, now that CIV V is announced, that's one more reason to put your ideas to work, so really innovative things can be modded back in right the day after the "new" civ is out!

11. moopoo

moopoo King

thanks for the 'innovative' there, Keinpferd :) if you're talking about modding civ 5, we'll have to see how they handle fighting first. from the sounds of things, it's one unit per square, which will force battles into the fields anyway. if you're talking about civ4, well i study c++ next semester ;)