An Idea!

Civanator

Deity
Maybe we can start the RPG up again. We can start by establishing Feudalism, Monotheism, and Chivalry. Then, the players who own alot of land will have to divide it and let Vassals maintain it, or the owner has a risk of rebellion. The owner of the territory can divide it where the cities are, and the owner gets 3 cities, and Vassals 1, or how many the owner, or from this point on Lord, decides. The more Vassals, the lest cities for each Vassal. The less Vassals, the more cities for them. it would kinda like a ratio. The Lord will always have to have more land and cities than his Vassals.

Or we can start fresh and have an NPC King.

One thing is that I want to keep the Jade Provance the way it is.

sounds good, I look forward to playing the new RPG.

(You can thank Boots and CG for recruiting me into the RPG :D)

the first thing must be new rules and regulations... not the same chaos as we have and have had it before.

I was thinking, maybe us players with Huge amounts of land can divide it into land for Vassals, and give it to use to new players. This would surely lower the intimidation for everyone. I think this should be required of us to do it ;).

forcing people to give up things never helps...
what would be easy to do (as i proposed from the beginning) would be to punish the aristocrats and big land owners with business disadvantages.
for example if we own more than 10 tiles, we can not open up a business... or just have drastically increased taxes.

also, aristocrats and titled persons should not be able to open shops at all....

something along those lines.

the idea would be that people have to decide for one career instead of deciding for "i want all" being noble, owning land and opening a business...

this will also allow newbies to go into areas where nobody else settled before.... for example at the moment we dont even build houses.... someone could earn a fortune by opening a construction company...

if we would also implement land-tile maintenance costs or land corruption, then this would also naturally decrease land ownership (except if someone just wants to own land for prestige and therefor offers all his money)
the big land-owners will then have a problem that they cant buy anything because their land ownings will be minimal, thus having to decide to sell land.....
or maybe rent it away.

also, as soon as we arrive in republic or democracy, the new land will be officially sold... having land corruption implemented will diminish the land-owner advantage which also dominated the last rpg.

having a rpg like the last one would be awful, because it was dominated solely by the land ownerships, not good business ideas.

My own instinct would be to return the RPG to it's roots, to just that, an RPG. Removed all the rules, and just place one manager in charge. His main duty would be making sure everything stays reasonable. Other than that, it would be free reign by the posters. Without complicated rules, and people just playing, I think we could blow some life into the forum.

Of course, we would have to keep the 'life cycle' going. The manager could decide at random to PM the fate of a person to them. For example, a player could be told that his next battle must end in his death, or that in the coming days, his character must die. This messaging of fate would be done privately, so that players could write out the story on their own.

how will thinks like someone claims something etc. be resolved? without any guidance the game will end like in the beginning of this game where we had almost no rules...

people could just create what they like or just post things which are ridiculous... once posted, the storylines will be altered and destroyed... and people get spoiled by it.

no, at least some small rulesets are fine... and a game manager must be available often to respond to inquiries.

take ad&d as an example...
the rules are simple: all the dungeon master sais is fact... no challenging, no discussion. he decides. finally.

but SOME rules are defined:
randomness and fighting, as well as gaining abilities are roughly defined. the "mechanics" for the game... no details.
the rest is decided on the fly by the manager.... people have all freedom, but must live with the consequences....... and that also means we would need a shaitan-like person which is almost available 24h a day to respond to things.

I like the way you think, Octavian. ;) But Disorganizer is right, some rules are recquired. We should keep it to one Game Master whose word is unquestionable law, and have a basic set of guidelines which govern things like land ownership and combat. Other than that things would have to be rather laissez-faire. And as Dis stated, we would need somebody in the sense of old king Shaitan who would be available 24/7 and who we could trust with absolute moderating power. Damnit I wish he were still here. :(

Might I suggest that a slight refocusing could help.

Rather then aspire to the highest levels of nobilty and ownership, have people set their sights to smaller, more managable goals. This is an RPG, designed for adventure! Exploration! Exploitation!

Well, maybe not the last ;)

Set up the guidelines, but treat certain things as a given, such as land ownership, etc. Treat certain things as generic, such as types of weapons. Feel free to give them character, but they all do the same. (For those of you with Champions experience, think of powers vs special effects. An EB is an EB is an EB, but mine uses blue flames!)

Look at the thread index. Count how many are manager threads. That's a lot - simplify the system, return the focus to the Role-playing, not roll-playing.

Returning once again to the depths of lurkage ...
-- Ravensfire

Originally posted by Octavian X
Of course, we would have to keep the 'life cycle' going. The manager could decide at random to PM the fate of a person to them. For example, a player could be told that his next battle must end in his death, or that in the coming days, his character must die. This messaging of fate would be done privately, so that players could write out the story on their own.

I Compleately and Stronlgy Disagree on this Idea. I do not want my characters to die. This is one of the factors that caused me to kind of lose interest in the RPG. Why not just let the Player who owns the character decide on its own fate.

I am offering land to new players as Feudal Territories. If I give them a piece of land they get the powers of-
  • Raising troops
  • Using any income past 1f/1s/1g for their own discretion
  • Gaining Nobility at the title of Baron/Baroness

For these powers they must give recognition-

• Total allegience to me
  • If DePaolo is at war they will have to contribute troops, which will be evaluated on how many troops they have, by me
  • If they attack any friends of DePaolo they shall be stripped of all titles and thrown in jail
  • If they revolt, trying to claim their own land, they will be swiftly taken from power

Later I will define the lands available.

Another reason, I don't like this rpg much is that there are some powerful nobility, and new citizens get crud.

That and rpgs are roleplaying. When have rpg's been so dedicated to land ownership and armies?

BTW, I mean no offense to anyone, when I said that. You all probally know that anyway.;)

@zarn: the problem is: we dont have introduced any disadvantages for nobility and land ownership... thats why all players want to own land...
if we had some great disadvantages coming with it, people could decide "careers"...
i also dont understand why every1 wants to own land and be noble, but doesnt like to go other ways.... maybe we made it too simple to maintain land and title... and too hard to choose other things.

but a good rpg should hold both aspects... and not put too much on only one of them...

Sounds good, but I would like to keep the Jade Provance intact.

If we start over, it is only fair to wipe out all existing provinces, bank accounts, etc. I understand where you are coming from CG (I wish I could've kept Vanir ;) ) but I think it would detract from a new game to have provinces already in existence. All the land is currently owned by like 3 families from the "old" game. If we start a new one and by some miracle attract new players, how would they start out owning land if it was already spoken for? I don't like it. Let's make a clean slate, with the DG2 rules.

Well, for those of you who want to see my Quirnial RPG, it is in the Term 4 Quirnial thread. The game will only last one term, by which time I will move onto another province, and start an RPG there. I made it to help people get involved in the running of the province, and I hope it works.

It may be just the thing you people are looking for, now that the main RPG has died. My idea for it is that you have a simple game to play, but you role-play on top of that. I think that is what should happen here.

Which is the whole problem - everyone has a different idea of a good RPG. I think a few provinces should start their own mini-RPGs, only a term long.

I also think people have seen the 'Role Playing' but forgot about the 'Game' part of RPG. If they were province based, term-long RPGs, There would be a winner by the end of the term. And the whole idea of a game, is that people compete for the top spot, to win the game.

Top Bottom