An odd reason for declaring war

EQandcivfanatic

Zailing Captain
Retired Moderator
In a game i am still playing as Egypt, my nation is separated by a large mountain range which goes east to west. In the southern part, which runs down to the coast and is all plains and grassland, there is NO fresh water. The mountains block off any chance of irrgation to the south. I look around looking for a pass to get irrgation into the south so my cities can grow past sizes 2-6 and become profitable parts of my empire. I look around and see that my neighbor of Germany holds the only pass into my very dry land.

In conclusion, I declared war on them for fresh water. This is the weirdest reason I have ever declared war on someone in Civ3. Anyone else have something to match that?

i declared war on someone because they took a spot i wanted to build a city on

Originally posted by conehead234
i declared war on someone because they took a spot i wanted to build a city on

I do that all the time.

I once declared war just to launch off my excess nukes before winning a game.

I declared war so I could get total control over the continent. I already had a little more than half and the Babylons needed to get a good whipping. Then I declared war again on the Japanese because I was bored. After playing beyond 2050, there's not too much hustle and bustle like the other ages. :(

I've gone to war in about five games beyond 2050 - all because of boredom. I usually let the AI do the dirty work; I sit back, take what I can, and get out while it's still good.

umm ... tonight when i get home from work i'm declaring war on a particular civ because i'm bigoted. :( oh well at least i can admit it. hope the other civs dont mind much when i raze those size 12 towns . . .

Fresh water is one of the better reasons to wage war considering it can be the difference between several excellent cities or several unproductive cities until you get electricity. The difference those cities could make in that amount of time could be huge.

However, why didn't you just get a Right of Passage agreement and irrigate through the German lands?

I once declared war on Germany just because they are germans.

No offense but i dont like germans :)

In my current game I wiped out the Persians just because I had some excess Cavalry. I thuoght I rather take some territory and perhaps get a leader than just disband them or have them around doing nothing. :evil:

Originally posted by [GoD]Toxic

if I am near the chinese i'll attack cause I always struggle against them when they are fully developed

Same here. The chinese is nearly always my worst enemy later in the game.

Bye the way i like your style with: "I never retreat, I just advance in another direction" :)

Zulus. I hate the Zulus. Every time I even build near them- bang, wartime. They will war at the slightest excuse. They are the worse civ to build near. I better relations with the Mongols than these guys. Even their attitude ticks me off- they think they are so superior.

News for you... they're dead now. Where are their superior attitudes? :rant:

I declare war alot early in the game because i get bored. :)

Originally posted by [GoD]Toxic

Love thy neighbour:love: , my danish friend.

I declare war because I don't want to see their stupid leader portret anymore :)

Water is life, and has been the cause of more than one RealWorld war. Depends on the mode I'm playing... if in the conquest mode, I don't really need a reason. If diplomatic, culture, etc, then I would try a diplomatic solution first. Then declare war if it didnt work... :D

I was playing a game as Persia, right after I bought Civ3. When I read the bio on Shaka on the civ home page, I couldn't believe how he treated his people. Therefore, I took it upon myself to declare war and wipe him out.

I declared war on the Greeks last night because they had some grapes and weren't sharing.
So I razed their city and then a couple of turns later an bloody Iroqois settler rocks up and guess what happens?
I still don't have my grapes and The Iroquois have mpps with 3 other near countries.
I refuse to let them rip me off. Still not sure if I should go to war due my love of Shiraz.

In my current game, I almost declared war on Germany because they were doing too good a job beating up the Chinese. The funny part is I had originally recruited the Germans as an ally when the Chinese declared war on me. The 3 of us shared a continent about equally and had lived peacefully until about 1400 ad. Then the Chinese come wandering into my land with about 15 troops. I mobilized my defenses then demanded they leave. They of course declared war. I bought the Germans assitance (which didn't take much convincing) and proceeded to take the several cities I had had my eye on for some time as well as beat back their attacking force. Since my goal is to live peacefully, I ended the alliance after 20 turns and made peace with the Chinese, hoping the Germans would do the same shortly after. Unfortunately we had weakened the Chinese too much and the German calvary rolled thru Chinese city after Chinese City. I realized that with the fall of these cities, there are big holes in the culture border so instead of declaring war, I started building a mass of settlers. I am currently working on founding the new cities and rushing temples, etc to try to flip the German cities and keep my "peaceful" game moving. The only problem is that the German culture as a whole is ahead of mine but these individual cities will be behind those around them. We'll see how it goes...

I once did something similar: declared war not over fresh water, but over a patch of irrigated land.

The water source itself was deep inside enemy territory, but there was a bit of irrigated land that wasn't *too* far from my borders, so I declared war and grabbed the small city that controlled it.

i just declared war on the americans because they took a goody hut before i could get it.

i just declared war on the americans because they took a goody hut before i could get it.

I did that once too and ended up losing the game because of it. I attacked the guy that popped the hut and lost. He then went 2 squares south and attacked my only city and killed my warrior and I lost the game hehe. Damn jag warriors.

Top Bottom