1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

An odd reason for declaring war

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by EQandcivfanatic, Feb 19, 2003.

1. luke_syafiq

luke_syafiq Chieftain

This is even weirder.I declared war with the Americans 'cause they will only buy my Silks and Ivories with 1 Gold per turn and 1 Gold.Damn those guys.

2. ghostbuster

ghostbuster Busting Ghosts

one word, china:mad:

I ALWAYS must attack china because they are always in my way, and once they are developed they become a big nuisance

3. Strider

Strider In Retrospect

I've declared war on a civ just to get a lake(which I happened not to need sense I already had plenty of irragation) I just wanted it as a nice resort :).

4. DAKjungF

DAKjungF Khalif of the Box

Hygro: Yes, I thinked about that... But it is too late now. I finished the game with a massive guerilla suicide attack :D , and the Mogols, the Koreans and the Indians are toast!

BTW, finished the Koreans by nuking every city, then razing them with my Modern Armour... ;)

5. Zcylen

Zcylen Moonlight Rambler

well, I once declared war just because I was bored in the game and I had a lot of military units.

6. Polemos

Polemos Chieftain

i declare war to them before they declare it to me

Those who come seeking peace without
    a treaty are plotting. Master Sun

7. Generalissimo

Generalissimo Chieftain

Whenever I'm the Romans I declare war on the Carthaginians. The Carth's color just looks too much like the Roman's and i sometimes get them confused, so its best just to destroy them.

8. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

well General, Rome and Carthage DID like to fight a lot. Also, If you play with Carthage, Russia, Japan, and the Aztecs, Carthage has a 2/3 chance of being a color other than red.

Or play without Russia and Carthage will be brown.

I declared war today because I was too hungry in Real Life.

9. Emperor550

Emperor550 Chieftain

I like to fight with enemies my civ fought with in reality. If I'm America I take out the Aztecs and Iroquis. If Im Germany, I usally go after France.

10. wargasm23

wargasm23 Chieftain

wow i thought i was a warmonger haha

i think to attack a nation so early takes away from the game.

Besides, you might be attacking a nation that will grow to be the second most technologically advanced nation.

That one factor alone can get you through an ENTIRE age.

so let's beat our swords into plowshares and raise the flags of peace and prosperity.

HAHA, yeah right

tell me what u think guys,

:love:

11. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

I think you worded that in an inspriing but confusing way. Sounded great, but not entirely sure what you meant.

12. Strider

Strider In Retrospect

I think he meant that you should war in the early times.... Not really sure though.

13. Jerucondis

Jerucondis Chieftain

Playing Democratic America on Marla's world map, with real-world positions, I declared war on the isolated and thus technologically inferior Zulus (Cavalry/Riflemen vs Pikeman/Impi; they did not have horses) for 'foreign workers' to build my railway system.

I would capture a city, then rush a worker every turn, then send the workers, packed four per ship, across the sea on waiting Galleons. I got 40+ workers this way.

Yes, I am a horrible, horrible person, I know *veg*.

14. Beanzy

Beanzy Chieftain

I once went to war with a civ because I thought they were another civilization. I had meant to attack... I think it was the Persians, but ran into some worker from another civilization and, thinkning it was the Persians for some reason (let's just attribute it to a massive brain fart), I captured it. For the next thirty turns I was embroiled in a massive world war (everyone joined in) and killed (as well as lost) countless units. I eventually made peace with everyone, but the rest of the world kept fighting for twenty more turns. All because I was colorblind for a moment and couldn't tell the difference between the neon green
    Persians and some other random civ. But it doesn't matter, I won anyway.

15. Beanzy

Beanzy Chieftain

I once went to war with a civ because I thought they were another civilization. I had meant to attack... I think it was the Persians, but ran into some worker from another civilization and, thinkning it was the Persians for some reason (let's just attribute it to a massive brain fart), I captured it. For the next thirty turns I was embroiled in a massive world war (everyone joined in) and killed (as well as lost) countless units. I eventually made peace with everyone, but the rest of the world kept fighting for twenty more turns. All because I was colorblind for a moment and couldn't tell the difference between the neon green
    Persians and some other random civ. But it doesn't matter, I won anyway.

16. Beanzy

Beanzy Chieftain

Oh, I also once went to war because I had fifty ICBMs but had nothing to do with them. So I covered ALL of South America in radiation... literally. It got to the point that I had nothing left to nuke but random mountains and jungles. Good times...

17. Mullet Crusader

Mullet Crusader Celtic Warrior

Just out of curiosity, when yo guys invade the enemy territory, do yuo capture their cities? Or just burn them down? Seems awfully hard and expensive to save units just to occupy captured cities, and also, if you have wiped a Civ off the map and have tons of empty space next to you, is it better to ignore it and not expand than to try to fill it with tons of settlers/defenders when you could be using it on Techs and more units? Or is it best to greedily devour all open territory near you no matter what?

Reasons i declare war? Well, whoever is closest to me is toast, no question about it, i always go after whoever is geographically closest regardless of their attittude towards me, until i have cleansed the map of other civs or died trying :D

18. Grille

Grille panel insect

Happened yesterday: Barbs killed one of my workers (I had 2). My conscript warrior took the chance when Egypt warrior/settler showed up.

19. Generalissimo

Generalissimo Chieftain

Mullet Crusader, I tend to take over enemy territory and keep the cities if they are near me. I like being the only one in my land mass and find if I destroy the cities other civs will create their own cities there before I am able to settle it with my own people. When i'm fighting far away civs I either raze the cities or keep the cities for a turn but sell them to other civs. The other civs are happy with me, and my enemy's old territory looks like a rainbow!

20. zeeter

zeeter Chieftain

How about odd reasons to declare war on me? I'm in a game now where it is 2020. The Indians and the French are in it with me (romans). We all had MPP's with each other and were polite all around. Since there wasn't enough time to take out these civ's, I was just going to play out the game and finish with a high score. For no reason whatsoever the French atacked me. I waited a turn before counter-attacking so that I would get the Indians on my side instead of the French, which worked. I had three cities on the French/Indian continent and they took two of them. These cities weren't defended well because I had always maintained peace with both civs.
    The French cannot hope to win a war with me, in fact given the time I could easily eliminate both civs. There is no reason that I can think of as to why the French would attack me.
    It is 2026 now, and I have transported numerous units to the French continent. I had to wait a couple of turns to build an airport there. Next comes the attack.