1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[XML] An XML file isn't working and my logs don't show anything about it. Looking for troubleshooting tips

Discussion in 'CivBE - Modding Help & Mod Creation' started by Galgus, Oct 6, 2017.

  1. Galgus

    Galgus Chieftain

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2012
    Messages:
    1,695
    The issue is solved, I'd just managed to forget that Database.log is the relevant file, not Xml.log.
    ____________________________

    Is it possible for the logs to malfunction somehow, or are all errors with a file not loading not always in them.?

    The file is the problem code, though I don't expect you to comb through it: just hoping for a better way to troubleshoot.

    I'm pretty sure the Trench yields wouldn't work anyway, but it still won't load when all reference to Ice and Trenches are removed.

    It is part of a larger mod whose other components seem to be working as intended.
     

    Attached Files:

    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  2. Ryika

    Ryika likes cookies and milk.

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2013
    Messages:
    9,197
    Haven't ever run into any issue with logging. If something is wrong with the file, it should show up.
    And given that it's active automatically in BE, it should work, unless you've modified the files in the user folder to disable it.

    It's probably more likely that you either forgot to load the XML file, or accidentally chose the wrong action to do so. Moving the file around also removes it from the list of loaded files if you're using ModBuddy.
     
  3. Galgus

    Galgus Chieftain

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2012
    Messages:
    1,695
    I don't think I've modified the user folder there beyond something way back when to enable it, and aside some strange mod conflict with the Codex mod I've never had other issues with it.

    And by the date modified the logs appear to be updating.

    I've been editing the file with Notepad++ rather than Modbuddy, and I don't think it's been moved.

    What would that mean exactly?

    This is the relevant part of the Modinfo file, and all the files listed with it seem to be working.

    Thus I think it's a problem in the XML file, but I can't find any mention of "SH Build" or the mod's name in the xml.log.

    Code:
    <Files>
        <File md5="6E2F1C5E8E644206EF7062F63D38E738" import="0">Affinity Buildings/Harmony Build.xml</File>
        <File md5="B1F4D6132070E0FA09C1330871EFADE4" import="0">Affinity Buildings/HP Build.xml</File>
        <File md5="A2E0144452BFC7B696664DACC1A18BC9" import="0">Affinity Buildings/PS Build.xml</File>
        <File md5="FAF8B0BCEE85F25B6DFE82A28A2DCBD2" import="0">Affinity Buildings/Purity Build.xml</File>
        <File md5="E877D857F79AF90521A72EF4D1866C41" import="0">Affinity Buildings/SH Build.xml</File>
        <File md5="E95B5411A9AA48C89479846B70FA7720" import="0">Affinity Buildings/Supremacy Build.xml</File>
        <File md5="BD7071AE8107AC4430D056AC772F3BE0" import="0">Exclusivity Code/Lua/AffinityAffiliationTestScript.lua</File>
        <File md5="15F9FFE5CF3091839BC57020AFE96B30" import="0">Exclusivity Code/SQL/UpdateBuildingTable.sql</File>
        <File md5="A2D220B934880F68F5C6D7129CF80309" import="0">Modular Building Quests resource/BuildingChoiceTemplateQuest.lua</File>
        <File md5="456CA3F098A6E5FACC45B594997402B3" import="0">Modular Building Quests resource/BuildingQuestTable.sql</File>
      </Files>
      <Actions>
        <OnModActivated>
          <UpdateDatabase>Modular Building Quests resource/BuildingQuestTable.sql</UpdateDatabase>
          <UpdateDatabase>Exclusivity Code/SQL/UpdateBuildingTable.sql</UpdateDatabase>
          <UpdateDatabase>Affinity Buildings/Harmony Build.xml</UpdateDatabase>
          <UpdateDatabase>Affinity Buildings/HP Build.xml</UpdateDatabase>
          <UpdateDatabase>Affinity Buildings/Purity Build.xml</UpdateDatabase>
          <UpdateDatabase>Affinity Buildings/PS Build.xml</UpdateDatabase>
          <UpdateDatabase>Affinity Buildings/Supremacy Build.xml</UpdateDatabase>
          <UpdateDatabase>Affinity Buildings/SH Build.xml</UpdateDatabase>
        </OnModActivated>
      </Actions>
    I'm pretty sure I remember the file loading properly in the past, but I don't remember what changed.

    Anyway, thanks for the help.
     
  4. Ryika

    Ryika likes cookies and milk.

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2013
    Messages:
    9,197
    Errors in XML files are found in Database.log, not in xml.log
     
  5. Galgus

    Galgus Chieftain

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2012
    Messages:
    1,695
    Thanks, and I found the error immediately, I'd put "FeatureType" instead of "BuildingType".

    It's been awhile since I've been modding, but I should have remembered that.
     

Share This Page

Ebates: Get Paid to Shop