Android App ideas

Mise

isle of lucy
Hey guys, I need a project!

Do you have an Android phone? Do you wish there were a FREE app that did something cool and neat? Well, if it's easy enough to do, and you don't mind it being slightly glitchy, then this is the thread for you! Tell me what you want and I'll see if I can program it for you!

For example, if you want an app that will strip out all the ads, pictures, "share" buttons, etc from a website and just leave you with the pure content, tell me what website and I can probably make something pretty easily.

Awesome, I need someone to clean my apartment!

Do you have an Android phone?
Nope.

Do you wish there were a FREE app that did something cool and neat? Well, if it's easy enough to do, and you don't mind it being slightly glitchy, then this is the thread for you! Tell me what you want and I'll see if I can program it for you!
Yes, and I want a cut of the profits.

For example, if you want an app that will strip out all the ads, pictures, "share" buttons, etc from a website and just leave you with the pure content, tell me what website and I can probably make something pretty easily.
An app to block facebook connect would be awesome. (Okay, I have no idea if it even shows up on android phones).

A zombie warning system. Zombies happen? Zombie alert goes out.

Do you have an Android phone? Do you wish there were a FREE app that did something cool and neat? Well, if it's easy enough to do, and you don't mind it being slightly glitchy, then this is the thread for you! Tell me what you want and I'll see if I can program it for you!

Think of one yourself. You'll get much more satisfaction from it, and you get to claim credit for idea and implementation. That and if I have an idea, Ill do it myself ;)

@PrinceScamp: I'm not cleaning your room.

You know when you're a kid, and you say "muuuuuuum I'm boooooooored" and your mum says, "go clean your room then if you're so bored!" Why do they say that? How would that make me less bored?

It's the same thing now, too. I say to my friends or co-workers that I'm bored at work, and they say "well do some work then!" Wha-- why would that make me less bored?! HEY FRIENDS, I GOT NEWS FOR YOU: WORK IS BORING.

@GenocidicBunny: Yeah, I'm very unimaginative. :(

EDIT: Crap, I just realised, for the past 6 months I've been sorely neglecting my last project: my webcomic :lol:

You know when you're a kid, and you say "muuuuuuum I'm boooooooored" and your mum says, "go clean your room then if you're so bored!" Why do they say that? How would that make me less bored?

It's the same thing now, too. I say to my friends or co-workers that I'm bored at work, and they say "well do some work then!" Wha-- why would that make me less bored?! HEY FRIENDS, I GOT NEWS FOR YOU: WORK IS BORING.

It's to keep you busy so you don't think about being bored, so basically you won't be bored any more. Unless you're talking about bored of your work then fair enough but if you're bored because you have nothing to do then this is why.

A zombie warning system. Zombies happen? Zombie alert goes out.

THIS.

Throw in some zombie survival guide and everyone will get it!

There's already dvorak keyboards for Android! e.g. http://www.appbrain.com/app/dvorak-keyboard/net.xenionsh.android.dvorak

EDIT: Actually, there's no keyboard that actually allows you to remap its keys on the fly, even though this, I believe, is technically possible. I'll have a go...

Also, didn't you just buy a WP7 phone? ;)

Wait, does that keyboard remap the stock keyboard, or is it a replacement keyboard?

I'm using a replacement keyboard atm, but I'd prefer to just have the stock keyborad remapped.

And I don't have my WP7 phone yet. But yeah, I'm not seeing any way to remap keys for it, I'll be hassling MS until they put in a Dvorak language option.

There will almost certainly be no profit. It costs $25 just to register as a developer, and then google takes 30% of all your sales.

@Zelig: They're replacement keyboards. AFAIK, there's no way to remap the stock keyboard, although you could try using apktool or apkmanager to extract the stock keyboard's apk, change the xml layouts, then repack it. Android's stock keyboard isn't "built-in" to the OS - it's just a program that the OS loads whenever it needs a keyboard (well, an "input method", which may be a keyboard, or handwriting recognition program, or voice, or a physical keyboard etc). It's not too important to have the stock keyboard, other than because it's trustworthy and isn't going to log all your passwords!

Well I published my first app. It adds a bunch of swear words to your autocorrect dictionary, so that you don't end up with some pansy word when you're calling someone names or engaging in sexty-times. Link in sig (obviously NSFW/children).

I'm going to do another one for frequently used Latin (especially Legal) terms, like "jus soli" and "ceteris paribus". I tried making a medical one, but the only free list I found was 66,000 words long, which is too big to input into the user dictionary (well, there is a way, but I doubt many doctors have rooted their phones).

Well I published my first app. It adds a bunch of swear words to your autocorrect dictionary, so that you don't end up with some pansy word when you're calling someone names or engaging in sexty-times. Link in sig (obviously NSFW/children).

I'm going to do another one for frequently used Latin (especially Legal) terms, like "jus soli" and "ceteris paribus". I tried making a medical one, but the only free list I found was 66,000 words long, which is too big to input into the user dictionary (well, there is a way, but I doubt many doctors have rooted their phones).

I do own an android phone, although the swype feature on my particular model makes this app kind of redundant, unfortunately. I probably had the majority of the words on your app entered into the autocorrect by the end of my first day with the phone. The Latin one sounds nifty though!

I use Swype too - it's awesome! :D But sadly Swype uses its own dictionary (I guess cos it needs to store your swype trails), so it wouldn't work for you unfortunately :( There is a way to add to the swype dictionary programmatically but it requires a rooted phone, limiting its market drastically...

I use Swype too - it's awesome!

Swype really is quite awesome. It's a little hard to get the hang of at first, but once you got it, it's oh so handy.

I want to develop something with someone where I can "scan" (picture, swipe, whatever) any packaged or barcoded product in a grocery store and come back with detailed information on its origin, nutritional content, corporate information on the supplier, etc. etc. A mobile food detective on my phone.

Above your paygrade Mise, but this is my big idea. Oh, I also want to develop an app for airports where I can input a flight number, the GPS will know which airport I am at, and I can get information on which gate it is arriving from, where I need to wait for arrivals, maps showing the route to that area, yada yada. Unfortunately after I had that idea one day, soon after I saw other apps offering airport info. Never tried them though so I don't know their functionality.

All rights reserved, 2011 illram productions

Top Bottom