Anno Domini (Civ 6 version) available now! [Deleted]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here I was thinking it would be a while after the official modding tools were released until any halfway involved mods were made, now I just wish I checked earlier :p

@Rob (R8XFT) is it normal those 62 Strength unit that appears at the very begining of the game ? That's a bit unbalanced, no ?
(And Thx for all this work :goodjob:)

Hi Rob,

Great to see you are already on the case with your Mod. Civ VI has only just come out and I have yet to finish a game! (I'm a slow player). Okay for what it's worth here's my thoughts to your queries:

1) Probably best to split it up into time and place blocks much like you did for Civ V if you are planning to replicate all those Civs for this version. Otherwise it would become too unwieldy. Although perhaps have a basic one with all the 'classic' ancient world civs and then have 'add ons' as Lehnardtsson says.
2) Yes and no. Not being obtuse but what I mean is it would be great to have specific Briton city states (using your example) but also nice to have a mix of city states from all over the ancient world for mixed games. So if you select to have Briton civs mixed with the Gauls and German civs then you get city states from all three 'areas'. Is there away to componentise the city states options as well? Although I suppose if you pick the Briton Civs then you will get all their city states mixed in? I wouldn't want to have a mixed game with civs all over the Ancient World but only have city states from Britain. I am not as sure about the city states in Civ VI - I felt they had more personality in Civ V in the new one I am never really sure what they are doing beyond when I need to send them envoys. I think work will be done on them in future patches (unless I am missing something of course it wouldn't surprise me... it took me ages before I cottoned on that I needed to build the spies in the cities).
3) I like all history in all areas but for this I personally don't really like it go up to gun powder or the age of discovery. I usual mod your mod to make gunpowder 10 - 20 times more expensive to hold that game changer off. I want to play in the Ancient and Classical world. In fact I sometimes think it should stay out of Late Antiquity altogether and end quite 'early' at the height of classical civilisation during the reign of Marcus Aurelius. Plenty of victory options to be had there. But it seems that you extend it a bit further forward and everyone asks to extend it still further. Before you know it people will be asking you 'just add the 20th Century in.' Well I would say go the other way, bring it back to the Ancient World and perhaps just a bit of Late Antiquity. But is it possible to have an option to end the game at a certain point. Victory for the Greco-Roman World (AD 180). Victory for the 'Barbarians' (AD 500), Victory for the Arab World (AD 750) etc? But having such a 'slider' system might screw up victory conditions so I am not sure that would ultimately work. My preference of your options would end it perhaps around AD 500 - 600 so the 'Dark Ages'.

4) Forgive my Euro-Roman centric-ness (throughout this) but I would only have the Ancient Med, Near East and Germano-Celtic Europe. Far East and India etc feel like they belong elsewhere in another Mod. But then Civ is sometimes about the what ifs so if you feel you want to keep them in then do it. I like playing your Mod on Immortal difficulty, standard or large map and then pack it with 18 Civs from the European-North African-Near East block and perhaps some of the peoples of the steppe as well. And then try and get a handle on them all as we all scrap it out. At least that's how I played it in Civ V.
5) I haven't played too much Civ VI yet but as far as I can tell the science tree is for the new units, districts and buildings. Although perhaps you could put some of the cultural buildings into the culture tree. So theatres and the like. It seems that science and culture comes by fast but building units and buildings takes ages. I feel it should be the other way round. Science slow - production high.

Having said all that I haven't played your mod (in Civ VI) yet so I haven't really seen it in acton but there is plenty of potential for an exciting Ancient World mod! Civ V's version was brilliant - such a rich tapestry of options and layers of detail. The whole rethought resource needs were brilliant. Need a bit more happiness, well build an alehouse but you need to get barely and then build a brewer to get the barrels of ale. But then this might cause poor health. I love all that kind of stuff. I was thinking I would always go back to that game and mod but I don't know; I never played Civ IV again after Civ V came out. Alas is it really farewell to Civ V.

Anyway I'm rambling now - it's your mod Rob so you do what you think is best for you but if you are trying to simplify it hone in on the Ancient World in Western Eurasia and North Africa and end it with the fall of the Roman Empire or... as is now fashionable... the transformation of the Roman world into the post Roman world and the beginnings of the monotheistic 'middle' period.

Peace!

Thanks Lord Smiley! I don't believe you've understood what I meant with the City-States in the individual packs. I meant that the British Civs pack would include all the British Civs AND British city-states. The Mediterranean pack would include the Mediterranean Civs and Mediterranean city-states and so on. So if you went for a mixture of packs, you'd also get a mixture of city-states - but only from the areas you'd selected.

I'm on a weeks hols next week and will look to do some updates to the mod - including sorting out why the barbarians get such a highly rated unit so early! I will look to add some units from MOAR units and start looking at the government types and civics.

City states - yes that would make sense. So if I don't load up the British component of the mod I wouldn't get any British city states.

Barbarians - those guys are stronger in Civ VI generally and I think it's great it's like that. But we don't want them too strong. We don't want those jokers winning by Turn 20.

Science/Culture boosts - one of the new features of Civ VI is the boosts and I think I like them, but they do reduce research time perhaps too much. In my current game I am playing Victoria and I have only just started building Redcoats but I am researching flight and tanks already. So brining it back to your mod perhaps reduce the tech boosts a little bit and somehow boost production. It's the age old Civ problem of too much researched not enough time to build stuff.

You said earlier that you didn't have a science victory in Anno Domini. If I remember correctly the TAM mod for Civ IV had the player building the Silk Road outposts as kind of mimicking the space ship parts. Would that work for this? It is slightly anachronistic but then this is a video game and not an exact historical replicator. Maybe call it the 'economic' victory instead? Or make it about defences for your Empire. You need to build a Great Wall but it happens in sections (space ship parts) and uses a rare stone (aluminium) to achieve. You have to remove the Great Wall Wonder out the earlier game. Actually is the Great Wall in Civ VI I haven't spotted it yet.

Or screw the science victory and don't have it at all!

Actually am I still thinking about Civ V's science victory model - how is it in Civ VI?

bah! I really should actually know a bit about the game I am talking about. I need to fire up the machine and get Civ VI running.

The Anno Domini version for Civ 3 had the silk road victory and in the Civ 5 version there was a similar victory type where you'd need to bring camels to the capital. I've disabled the science victory in Anno Domini for Civ 6 - but it is only for now. Once I've defined the scope of the mod then the science victory can be defined (i.e. to fit with whatever was happening historically in the last era of the mod).

The Great Wall is the Chinese UI in Civ 6.

Thanks a lot everyone. Okay, so here's for the first set of opinions on the direction of Anno Domini for Civ 6. Please let me know what you think.
01. Should Anno Domini be one big download (not so big at the moment....but it will be!) or should I spTlit it off as I did in Civ 5? In the Civ 5 version, there was the base game with no civilizations in it and there were several packs with groups of civilizations, e.g. Greek civs, Battle for the Nile, Roman Britain, etc. The disadvantage is that you have lots of smaller mods in your database, but the advantage is that you have more control over the civilizations in the selection pool. If I only wanted to play a game with Greek factions, I could select just the Greek civs pack and random opponents would be chosen from it (rather than me having to manually select them every time). You can mix and match of course and if required, have all the civs in the selection pool. It helped with those who felt that Anno Domini should only be about the Ancient Med and even appealed to those who weren't particularly looking for Anno Domini as such but wanted a game where you could play as Ancient British tribes.
02. If we go with the split civs, does it follow that this time, I should arrange the city-states to match? So, if I'm playing an Ancient Britain game only, the city-states should also be from Ancient Britain only.
03. What do you see as the timeframe of Anno Domini? Here's the main options:
a. Dawn of time up to the Dark Ages.
b. Dawn of time up to the Norman Conquest.
c. Dawn of time up to the discovery of gunpowder.
d. Dawn of time up to around 1492 and the discovery of the New World.
There is no scientific victory in Anno Domini currently, so it would be good to have one that matches the timeframe of the mod - so, for example, if we went with the discovery of the New World, the scientific victory could be around getting a ship ready to sail to the New World. More timeframe is not necessarily better though as some have commented in the past they'd prefer to stick with the Ancient world.
04. What do you see as the civilization limits to Anno Domini? One element which will naturally affect this is question three - the later it is, the more civilizations come into play. On the flip side, the more civilizations there are, the more difficult it is to make them truly unique from the rest and keep the colours of the civilizations distinct. I have traditionally started off with "Ancient Med" civilizations and included the fertile crescent, then allowed the range to go as far as the Far East, India, Africa and civilizations such as the Khmer. What about other geographical areas? Do they "fit" or not? Are the "New World" civilizations best kept in the New World and be part of where our civilizations head to?
05. At the moment, I've moved all the units, buildings and wonders generated by civics to being generated on the tech tree. Do you see the civics in Anno Domini working towards government types only?

I very rarely, if ever, post on here, although I've been on this forum for around 4 years now. But this post has me intrigued. If you're going to roll this out as an "update" / "patch" / "mod" or whatever name you want to give it then I personally think it should be done in small steps, using what you have listed. You should then be able to cope with any issues, in relation to bugs, in-game issues and resolve them far quicker, surely? Also wouldn't it then be possible to be more detailed with each "Era" and could even possibly give others who could assist the time to work on various eras and the units, buildings and Wonders and City States [all in their correct locations?] in relation to the Era concerned? r]

My suggestion:
Part One: Dawn of time to the Dark Ages.. ends with you fighting hoardes of barbarians as Civs [notably the Romans.. ;-) ] collapse/splinter and fall.
Part Two: Dark Ages to Norman times/The Middle Ages. Barbarian hoardes and the plague with Civ's rising from obscurity with the relevant major discoveries of that period.
Part Three: Middle Ages to the Discovery of America, along with gunpowder and a few other major discoveries allowing Civ's in an increasingly [over]crowded Europe to set out and the discovery of The New World and settling them, peacefully [or otherwise] with the native Civs of the Americas.

I'm somewhat disappointed with the current state of Civ 6 with regards to maps and Wonders along with a lack of Civs within the game itself. I also think that the AI is somewhat lacking and a bit at odds with itself, as I get congratulated on having a Civ to be proud of etc., then in the next turn the same Civ's are denouncing me and making a D.o.W. against me, despite granting me open borders when trading with me in the earlier turns. [I've done nothing to p**** them off either]

I downloaded Gedemon's Yet (not) Another Earth Maps Pack, the other day, and play Civ 6 with this. It takes a few minutes to load but so far I've had no issues with it when playing the game, so it begs the question why did they roll the game out "as is". It lacks a lot of things and if you do go ahead with this proposed update of yours then I for one will be very interested in it when it's done.

Thanks a lot everyone. Okay, so here's for the first set of opinions on the direction of Anno Domini for Civ 6. Please let me know what you think.

You're welcome, Rob!

01. Should Anno Domini be one big download (not so big at the moment....but it will be!) or should I spTlit it off as I did in Civ 5? In the Civ 5 version, there was the base game with no civilizations in it and there were several packs with groups of civilizations, e.g. Greek civs, Battle for the Nile, Roman Britain, etc. The disadvantage is that you have lots of smaller mods in your database, but the advantage is that you have more control over the civilizations in the selection pool. If I only wanted to play a game with Greek factions, I could select just the Greek civs pack and random opponents would be chosen from it (rather than me having to manually select them every time). You can mix and match of course and if required, have all the civs in the selection pool. It helped with those who felt that Anno Domini should only be about the Ancient Med and even appealed to those who weren't particularly looking for Anno Domini as such but wanted a game where you could play as Ancient British tribes.

A Civ III style One Big one, because I would want to play with everything!

02. If we go with the split civs, does it follow that this time, I should arrange the city-states to match? So, if I'm playing an Ancient Britain game only, the city-states should also be from Ancient Britain only.

N/A

03. What do you see as the timeframe of Anno Domini? Here's the main options:
a. Dawn of time up to the Dark Ages.
b. Dawn of time up to the Norman Conquest.
c. Dawn of time up to the discovery of gunpowder.
d. Dawn of time up to around 1492 and the discovery of the New World.
I would say start with up to the time of the Norman Conquest, and then do 1492 as an expansion. Focus on the core of the mod first, and make it solid. That way the people who don't want to do past the ancient/mideveal eras don't have to, but those of us who like guns and boats can do that, too.

There is no scientific victory in Anno Domini currently, so it would be good to have one that matches the timeframe of the mod - so, for example, if we went with the discovery of the New World, the scientific victory could be around getting a ship ready to sail to the New World. More timeframe is not necessarily better though as some have commented in the past they'd prefer to stick with the Ancient world.

I'm down for New World expeditions as a science victory. You could make a special harbor for the 'space port' (Navigation School?), with the first project being a trip across the Atlantic, and then the second project being circumnavigation. The final bit could be preparing to make a new world colony.

04. What do you see as the civilization limits to Anno Domini? One element which will naturally affect this is question three - the later it is, the more civilizations come into play. On the flip side, the more civilizations there are, the more difficult it is to make them truly unique from the rest and keep the colours of the civilizations distinct. I have traditionally started off with "Ancient Med" civilizations and included the fertile crescent, then allowed the range to go as far as the Far East, India, Africa and civilizations such as the Khmer. What about other geographical areas? Do they "fit" or not? Are the "New World" civilizations best kept in the New World and be part of where our civilizations head to?

I think the mod should focus on the old world only.

05. At the moment, I've moved all the units, buildings and wonders generated by civics to being generated on the tech tree. Do you see the civics in Anno Domini working towards government types only?

Nah, I like Civics making wonders and what not.

Beserkers as barbs suck on turn 1... really!

Why disable the option to even turn them off? I had to Gold cheat 8 wariors to kill one, then find three more behind it. Just turned the mod off.

Last edited:
Beserkers as barbs suck on turn 1... really!

Why disable the option to even turn them off? I had to Gold cheat 8 wariors to kill one, then find three more behind it. Just turned the mod off.

These things happen in the first version of a mod for a brand new game. I'm working on a new version this week and now know about this happening, so can do something about it.

I did not play Civ 5, then did not know AD. I downloaded by chance and I did not expect to find a mod so well built and so historically true. This mod is a fantastic thing. Congratulations! :goodjob:

A single barbarian attack can slaughter all our people, destroy our cities and give us back to the Neolithic... this is fun, interesting and real. Moreover, they can only destroy a young civilization (and with little playing time). Please leave the berserkers. They made me restart game five times and I hope more players had the same suffering. :D

Last edited:
I've tried to play using the Anno Domini mod 4 times now. Every single time I'll get a ways in, and then, irrespective of how "strong" my military is, I get wiped out by barbarians who destroy virtually everything.

55 combat strength for starting barbarians isn't just stupid, it's game breaking.

I thought a change of pace would be interesting. But this is garbage.

Edit: I apologize for my hostility if this issue is a bug and not intended. On my last attempt, I had managed to progress pretty far until two berzerkers wiped out two of my settlements, killed all of my military, razed everything, stole my one worker, and sacked my traders in short order. As I had spent at least three hours on the game which, until that point, was enjoyable, I was fairly irritated.

Last edited:
Spoiler :
I've tried to play using the Anno Domini mod 4 times now. Every single time I'll get a ways in, and then, irrespective of how "strong" my military is, I get wiped out by barbarians who destroy virtually everything.

55 combat strength for starting barbarians isn't just stupid, it's game breaking.

I thought a change of pace would be interesting. But this is garbage.

Edit: I apologize for my hostility if this issue is a bug and not intended. On my last attempt, I had managed to progress pretty far until two berzerkers wiped out two of my settlements, killed all of my military, razed everything, stole my one worker, and sacked my traders in short order. As I had spent at least three hours on the game which, until that point, was enjoyable, I was fairly irritated.

No need to go nuts, just a game. That being said it's incredibly early in this mods conception, balance will be an issue.

If you'd like to see the mod in a more complete stage, and you own civ5, try that one it is fantastic.

I'm sure Rob will address these things as time rolls on. Cheers :salute:

To deal with the barbarians, you need to use micromanagement.

First, discover the technology (tools) you need to produce slingers and create 4 or 5. Use slingers to keep barbarian surveyors (man with dog) away from your city. Kill them, if possible.

Open the entire map in the vicinity of your city and be aware of the creation of settlements (drums and the characteristic drawing on the ground). Run into the settlements and destroy before start producing berserkers (apparently, they only appear after the explorer examines your city).

If you find berserkers, do not go back to your city (you will attract them). Run to the nearby towns and throw the barbarians at your "friends".:lol:

To escape the berserkers, use the terrain. You and they can only cross two spaces of clear ground. Rivers, hills and woods cost 2 moves. Cross rivers, enter woods, climb hills. Always keep enemies 3 spaces away on clear ground (or one and a river/woods/hill).

Until you produce archers, do not build farms (they use farms to heal).:nono:

If they come to attack your city, use a slinger inside the city and put the others away... they will be useless against berserkers.

When discovering archery, upgrade the slingers to archers and face the berserkers at distance (behind rivers, forests and hills). Do not let them approach your archers. They are strong... very strong.:mad:

After killing one or two berserkers, they stop bothering... :sleep:

Always be aware of some "friend" running away from them in your direction...

I'm in the third game marathon without losing a soldier or an improvement:king: (after 5 ruined games).

(sorry for my bad english, i dont speak english and i am using Google Translate)

I'm looking into the barbarian berserkers and it does seem to be an odd one. I'd rather there be an option for civilizations (including the barbarians) to not build certain units (as per Venice not being able to build settlers in Civ 5).

Please remember that this is only the first version of a mod that will run and run (like the Civ 5 version did).

I've more or less decided that the Civ 6 version of Anno Domini will concentrate on the Ancient world rather than the Ancient and Medieval one. Where the cut-off is I've not decided; it'll either be around 400 AD or slightly longer if I want to include the Byzantines.

A couple interesting things you could for science victory do if you plan to have the mod end before the discovery of the americas (I still think this would be a very good place to end the mod, but your choice :p) would be:
  • https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero_of_Alexandria
    he made a whole bunch of different machines, any (or multiple) of which could be used
  • some of the earliest examples of bookbinding are from the 1st century, so something like standardizing the written language and spreading books could be another idea. Woodblock printing is also invented around the same time
  • https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liu_Xin
    documented over 1000 different stars, so there could be something to do with discovering different stars & planets, then making an astrological map
  • you could also do something with architecture, as arches, domes on rotunda, domes on pendentives, etc were invented during this time
  • gunpowder is invented

I know of Pie's Ancient Europe, but not really looked into it that much. Prior to it coming out, I'd already done Anno Domini for Civ 3 and have since done Anno Domini for Civ 5, and those mods will be what I'll be aiming to replicate - but finishing earlier in historic terms than the other versions did.

Thanks for the links alexanderyou, they'll come in very useful. I know that the discovery of the Americas is also a good place to end but I was finding that many of the later civilizations I was including was in fact the next generation of an earlier civilization.

How about circumnavigation of the globe as the science victory? Sounds better than the discovery of the americas imo.

It's a nice idea Sbubbles, but historically happened too late for the time period. I'm not discounting it though. In the other versions, I've used a Silk Road victory.

Incidentally, I've worked out how to fix the barbarians getting the berserkers. In a nutshell, I'd renamed Bronze Working to Armour just to get the icon matching up to Armour. The barbarians get Bronze Working free and therefore can build the berserkers. I hadn't noticed the free techs, so that's why the berserkers came in so early.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom