Announcing a new scenario! 843 - 1204

To clarfy things in north africa, the abbasids gave power to the aghlabids in north africa in the early 9th century where they ruled from tunisia on behalf of the abbasid caliph, from there in the mid 9th century the tulunids ruled as independent in egypt. The fatimids in 910 overthrew the aghlabids and ruled from tunisia and it wasn't until al-Muizz in 969 conquered egypt and rule from there. Salah al-Din was a zangid general who overthrew the fatimids and founded his own ayyubid dynasty.

This is quite correct. And accordingly I think the Fatimids are the ones whose starting and ending dates lye within the scenario’s time frame. Their rule actually extended into the eastern coast of the Mediterranean up to Syria in times.

ohcrap, since you apear to know alot about the middle east, why do alot of dynasty names apear to have more than 12 sylables and have alot of 'a' s?

I may answer you for I am Egyptian after all. 12 sylables! Not really this is some sort of exaggeration.

Many "A"s, especially in consequence which never occurs in proper English is because Arabic has more letters than English. Some of these can only be represented by A. also there is an A as a voile, and as a regular letter. So Aladdin is actually Ala’a E Din. The first A is the voile the second is Hamzza which is a stopping A and not elongated voile.

Ohcrapitsnico actually used the latin versions of ruling family names. Aghlabids are Al – Aghalibah, Fatimids are Al Fatimyeen, Abbasids are Al Abbasyeen (by the way the A in Abassyeen is not an A it is another Arabic letter that can’t be represented in English).

thanks, and yes i was exagerating.

Its simply a matter of language, dynastic names use the founder,usually, and add an id, like the Achaemenids from achaemenes, abbasids from abu al-abbas, genghisids from genghis.

You'll also notice there are latin versions of many muslims names like avicenna.:p :p :p :rolleyes:

So is eveything going to stay the same as designated in the first post? Or did you change something?

Nice map. Although why does it look like Armenia has a city noth of the Caspian Sea? Drtad, is that historicly correct? Also, do the franks start with the ability to make chevaleirs or or vassals?
(While you were gone I made a pedia entery for chevaliers in the civilopedia work thread. Use the one craig posted, he ran it through spell check)

Everything is the same as the first post, except the scenario ends at 1071.

The pink is actually the Khazars. I didn't notice the Armenians and Khazars used the same color, so I'll change the Khazars to gray. The Franks don't start with the ability to make Chevaillers, but can get Heraldry immediately or through trade. And I did include your civilopedia entry.

Nice map. Although why does it look like Armenia has a city noth of the Caspian Sea? Drtad, is that historicly correct?
No. Actually I can't see them on the map at all, perhaps it is my poor vision?;) They would be located in the Caucasus (as usual).

@Head Serf
Sounds like a good end date. I hope to see a late era perhaps starting in 1100 with the founding of the KOJ (Kingdom of Jerusalem).

Head Serf clarified that the khazars also had a pinl border color and that he would try and fix it. Head Serf, is east francias leader german or french?

I'll have the Armenians take their cities militarily on the first few turns from the Arabs. Their cities are a little lower on the map than usual, which is kind of confusing due to the way the map is drawn.

East Francia (Yellow on the map) will be essentially Germany, with a German leader and such.

Thats what I thought. Is east and centeral francia going to be both french leaders or is one going to be norman? (Sorry if im bothering you about the scenerio but this is my favorite time period. If im annoying you, tell me to shut up and i'll wait for the scenerio to come out.)

I'll have the Armenians take their cities militarily on the first few turns from the Arabs. Their cities are a little lower on the map than usual, which is kind of confusing due to the way the map is drawn.
Sounds like fun!:goodjob:

Thanks for clarifying that. Looks fun although is the Abbasid Sultanate going to be screwed by distance maintnence costs? It doesnt look as bad as the byzantines maintnence cost in dark ages although it still doesnt look nice.

Well, I'll have to test it to see. In "The Dark Ages", the Byzantines were supposed to get screwed over by the maintenence costs, it kind of represented the economic collapse they fell into by extending their military too far under Justinian. I'd prefer that the Arabs didn't get screwed in this one though, but I'll have to see.

Head Serf, ETA on when the scenerio is coming out? i really want to play it before school start and/or before i get BTS.

The Kingdom of Scotland in 843, when it wasn't even called "Scotland" (it was still called Pictland until 900) did not include territory south of the river Forth. Some moderns historians will write that territory south of the forth was acquired in the early 11th or even in the 10th century, but this is based on shabby use of inaccurate later sources, and direct evidence reveals that Scotland's territory south of the Forth did not go beyond a small strip land between Stirling and Haddington even in the reign of Mael Coluim III (d. 1093). The kingdom in the reign of Alexander I (d. 1124) did not include much territory south of the Forth either, and it is not until the accession of David, earl by marriage to the daughter of Waltheof, earl of Northumberland, became king of Alba in 1124 that the continuous history of this territory in Scottish hands starts.

The screenshots above would doubtless have pleased the kings of Alba from the period, but believe me the English and then Anglo-Danish kingdom/earldom of Northumberland was certainly not in Scottish hands at that point. Flattering though it is, it is very inaccurate.

Top Bottom