Announcing BUFFY

Except for when I go into the civipedia (or stevo-whatever). Anytime I go in there, within a minute (sometimes less) the computer will freeze.

Does it matter what type of page you go to, e.g. Leaders or Technologies? I have never heard of this problem, and it seems odd that BUG could cause the problem. One of the benefits of using a language like Python for the interface is that it cannot crash in this manner. That doesn't mean it can't make a call to the DLL or EXE that does cause a crash like this, however.

Disable the Sevopedia so that you use the normal Civilopedia and see if that fixes the issue. It's on the Advisors tab of the BUG Options screen (ALT + CTRL + O).

And I also keep getting (like every turn) a message about % population and Domination. What setting do I turn off to remove that?

This is on the Alerts tab; uncheck Domination Victory Land and Population checkboxes.

Yes, I recommend reinstalling BTS to a path without non-ASCII characters in it, like C:\Games\Civ4 or something. I will see about fixing this in the next BUFFY update.

If you aren't going to submit HOF/BOTM games, you can fix it yourself by remove line 334 from Assets/Python/BUG/BugPath.py using a text editor.

What is written in line 334? I tried to remove what I thought was line 334:

# Determine the app directory that holds the executable and Mods
# as well as the folder name inside MY_GAMES_FOLDER that holds CustomAssets and Mods.
if isfile(sys.executable):
#BugUtil.debug("BugPath - exe is '%s'", sys.executable)
_appDir = dirname(sys.executable)
_appFolder = basename(_appDir)
BugUtil.info("BugPath - app dir is '%s'", unicode(_appDir))
BugUtil.debug("BugPath - app folder is '%s'", _appFolder)
else:
BugUtil.warn("BugPath - no executable found")
_appFolderInitDone = True

Is this not the correct line? I removed the basename line, but still no interface when I tried starting a game with the mod loaded.

This should be line 334:

Code:
		BugUtil.info("BugPath - app dir is '%s'", unicode(_appDir))

terrasol is correct. And if that doesn't solve it, you can replace every entire line that says BugUtil.debug(...) or BugUtil.info(...) with "pass". So the above block you pasted would become

Code:
# Determine the app directory that holds the executable and Mods
# as well as the folder name inside MY_GAMES_FOLDER that holds CustomAssets and Mods.
if isfile(sys.executable):
    #BugUtil.debug("BugPath - exe is '%s'", sys.executable)
    _appDir = dirname(sys.executable)
    _appFolder = basename(_appDir)
    [B]pass[/B]
    [B]pass[/B]
else:
    BugUtil.warn("BugPath - no executable found")
    _appFolderInitDone = True
[/code]

The reason for "pass" instead of deleting the line is in case the only thing after an "if" or "else" is a call to debug()/info(). It means "do nothing" in Python.

Not sure if this has been brought up before; could be a potential bug.

Upon starting to play my recent turn set in our SGOTM 10 save, I open BUFFY controls with CTRL+ALT+O and renamed autolog.txt to SG10autolog.txt, closed the controls interface and played my turns. Later I looked for this file to post in our team thread, and couldn't find it. Turns out it had over-written a previous autolog that I had created for BOTM21. Apparently, changing the name of the autolog file doesn't take affect until after you saved the game and re-opened it :confused: Is this normal?

Not sure if this has been brought up before; could be a potential bug.

Upon starting to play my recent turn set in our SGOTM 10 save, I open BUFFY controls with CTRL+ALT+O and renamed autolog.txt to SG10autolog.txt, closed the controls interface and played my turns. Later I looked for this file to post in our team thread, and couldn't find it. Turns out it had over-written a previous autolog that I had created for BOTM21. Apparently, changing the name of the autolog file doesn't take affect until after you saved the game and re-opened it :confused: Is this normal?
Yes it is. You can also try stopping and restarting the logger (Alt-L toggles it on and off) - that might (ie not 100% sure) pick up the new file name.

Edit - it shouldn't over-write - it should always append.

You can also try stopping and restarting the logger (Alt-L toggles it on and off).

This is no longer necessary. File and path changes on the BUG Options screen now take effect immediately. I had to rework how the logging file is managed, so please keep an eye on your logs in the first game after updating from SVN and report any problems you encounter.

Great work EF - but please note that this is in the SVN version - not in BUFFY. It should be in BUFFY v2.

I can't seem to go back to 3.17. Has BUFFY done something that breaks the older HOF mods? BTS crashes every time I try to start it w/3.17. I thought only BUFFY games were accepted, but Ironhead's new 775 game is 3.17 :-(

BUFFY requires 3.19. If you successfully started a BUFFY game, that means you must have installed the 3.19 BTS patch. Once you've done that, you cannot use a 3.17 mod anymore without reinstalling BTS. This is a Civ issue and affects all Civ mods, not just BUFFY.

You can install BTS to two places on your hard drive so you can maintain both 3.17 and 3.19 versions. Reinstall and patch to 3.17, and make a copy of the entire folder before patching one of them to 3.19.

I installed bug mod in customassert folder.
I want now BULL features but i cant find BULL installer. I want to install BULL mod in customassert folder too.

I'm playing using a MOD for multiplayer and i want to have BULL features together with this mod. Is it possible?

Sorry my english is not good. :(

When playing multiplayer games, every player must be using the exact same DLL, Python, and XML files. The CustomAssets folder is ignored in multiplayer games for this reason. You could install BUG as a mod and place the BULL DLL inside BUG's Assets folder, but every other player would have to do the same for it to work.

well it is not a "multiplayer" mod but a mod to control cheats in single player games played via email / foro.

So, i need to load this mod to play these matchs. I use BUG 4.0 with no problem.

BULL is the not-yet-released BUg dLL. It adds some more interface goodies, mostly to the city bar hover.

terrasol is correct. And if that doesn't solve it, you can replace every entire line that says BugUtil.debug(...) or BugUtil.info(...) with "pass". So the above block you pasted would become

The reason for "pass" instead of deleting the line is in case the only thing after an "if" or "else" is a call to debug()/info(). It means "do nothing" in Python.

This didn't work either, so I just reinstalled to a different path and voilà, it worked :) Great mod, fantastic with so much useful information available.

BUFFY is a mod. You need to load the mod to play with it. Click 'advanced' and then 'load a mod' and then locate BUFFY. There are some shortcut keys that auto load mods but I cannot remember what they are (they are in this thread somewhere) - I'll dig them and post them in the FAQ.

Sorry for the newb/repeat question, but I looked through the thread and FAQ and couldn't find the answer. How do I get BUFFY to automatically load when I start the game instead of going to advanced/load a mod each time? Thanks in advance!

How do I get BUFFY to automatically load when I start the game instead of going to advanced/load a mod each time?

Open your CivilizationIV.ini folder in My Games / BTS and change the line that says

Mod = 0​

to

Mod = BUFFY-3.19.001​

Open your CivilizationIV.ini folder in My Games / BTS and change the line that says

Mod = 0​

to

Mod = BUFFY-3.19.001​

I did that, but when I started the game nothing had changed (I still had to go load BUFFY manually). When I quit the game and checked the .ini file, it had been overwritten with the original version somehow. I repeated the procedure to verify- same result.

I'm using a Steam version of BTS if it makes a difference. I'm about sick of the hassle of Steam, so I probably should just go buy a "real" version and get on with it.

Thanks for the help, both above and any further assistance rendered!

You may have XP/Vista set up to hide file extensions. Civ4 makes a backup of CivilizationIV.ini to CivilizationIV.ini.bak, and if you have extensions hidden you'll see CivilizationIV and CivilizationIV.ini (the backup file). If this is the case, double-click the CivilizationIV one and edit that.

If not . . . I dunno.:confused:

Top Bottom