Announcing heihojin's 5th PBEM game!

heihojin

Prince
I am now taking signups for my fifth PBEM game!

So far, I have the following confirmed players:
  • heihojin (me) - random civ
  • task48 - random civ
If you would like to play, please post a reply, send a private message, or e-mail me with your e-mail address and civ preference (if any). I require your e-mail address to hold your spot.

Please also either update your profile to indicate your location - city, state (if you're in the U.S.A.), and country - or indicate your location in your request to play. I use this information to arrange turn sequence from East to West around the globe.

I am willing to customize your civ for you if you provide the appropriate information for the fields (Formal, Noun, Adjective, Title). Please note that your civ is considered public information at the start of the game; if you opt for a customized, random civ, you are expected to inform the group of the actual civ given to you immediately following your first turn.

The game will begin as soon as I have eight confirmed players, or sometime on Thursday, February 6th (Arizona time), whichever occurs first. If you have not specified a civ preference by that time, you will be assigned a random civ. Spots for the game and civ preferences will generally be filled first-come, first-served, as determined by the timestamp of the request; however, I may deliberately favor some requests over others in the interest of balancing my games.

Turn summaries will not be posted to this or any other forum. I am far more interested in actually playing the game than with posting turns in a public forum.

Commitments

By requesting to play you commit to the following:
  • You agree to contact me (through e-mail, private message, a third party or other means) as soon as possible if you encounter technical difficulties or other circumstances that prevent you from fulfilling these commitments.
  • You agree to act in a courteous manner toward all other players at all times in your "out-of-game" communication.
  • You agree to abide by the general protocol for gameplay as set forth in the welcome e-mail, as well as any changes to the protocol I may make during the course of the game.
  • You agree to inform the group when you are going to be unavailable for a period of greater than 24 hours.
  • You agree to check your e-mail at least once daily (at least twice daily is preferred).
  • You agree to promptly respond to all messages - immediately, if possible.
  • You agree to complete and forward your turn within 24 hours of receiving it.
  • You agree to refrain from "in-game" communication with another player until making contact with that player's civilization.
If you would like to peruse the general protocol for gameplay prior to signing up, let me know and I will happily e-mail it to you.

"In-game" communication refers to sharing information about your civ or other players' civs, making deals, proposing alliances, etc.. "Out-of-game" communication primarily refers to administrative matters (such as "Dude, where's my turn?" e-mails), but also includes innocuous conversation (such as "Where is everyone from?" e-mails).

Default Game Settings and Rules

Unless specified otherwise, the default game settings and rules will be as follows:
  • Game Type: Play By Email
  • Game Mode: Standard
  • Turn Timer: None
  • World Size: Standard
  • Barbarian Activity: Roaming
  • Land Mass: Continents
  • Water Coverage: 70% Water
  • Climate: Normal
  • Temperature: Normal
  • Difficulty: Regent
  • Allow Domination Victory
  • Allow Space Race Victory
  • Allow Diplomatic Victory
  • Allow Conquest Victory
  • Allow Cultural Victory
  • Allow Civ-Specific Abilities
  • Preserve Random Seed
  • Allow Cultural Conversions
Please note that many of these rules are open to discussion beforehand; I will generally side with the majority opinion.

One question that has frequently arisen is whether reloading the game is allowed. Although the "Preserve Random Seed" rule removes most of the incentive for reloading, there are of course other advantages. Unfortunately I know of no way to regulate the number of times the game is reloaded, so any rule prohibiting reloading is impossible to enforce. Furthermore, reloading seems quite acceptable in the event of an error, e.g. if you make a mistake in moving your units. Because I am reluctant to support rules that cannot be enforced, and because I'm sure that I personally will have to reload at least one game due to an error, I do not have any rules regulating reloads. Ultimately, it's a question of what provides the most enjoyment for you as a player.

Please note that once you make contact with another player's civ, your diplomacy options are completely unrestricted. Feel free to invent whatever deals you wish, regardless of whether they are enforceable from within the game or not.

These games tend to fill up quickly, so submit your request to play now! I will accept a couple of alternate spots in the unfortunate event a player is unable to continue with the game.

Here's to the next war!

heihojin

You know I want to play. E-mail is gkrgreene@earthlink.net I live on West coast USA which is GMT-8. I will be random civ.

*edit* I check my e-mail throughout the day when I get home, but I mostly play between 8:00 - 10:00 pm after work.

So far we have the following confirmed players:
  • task48 - random civ
  • DogBoy - random civ
  • jhigham - Carthaginians
  • CivAddict2002 - Celts
heihojin

• task48 - random civ
  • DogBoy - random civ
  • CivAddict2002 - Celts
  • Koenig - random civ
  • dingclancy - Spanish
heihojin

All spots are filled! The final player list is:
  • task48 - random civ
  • DogBoy - random civ
  • CivAddict2002 - Celts
  • Koenig - random civ
  • dingclancy - Spanish
  • naervod - Russians
I will e-mail the welcome letter and the first turn shortly.

Enjoy the game!

heihojin

I just sent the welcome e-mail and the 4000 BC turn.

If you have not received the welcome e-mail, please let me know.

heihojin

heihojin,

I checked too late to get in on this game, but please contact me for your next PBEM game or if you have someone who needs to drop out.

My email is gstocki -at- hotmail.com.

Thanks!

Looking forward to the game. Best of luck to all. I'll probably need it more than others. Will be checking mail when I get home from work this evening.

I kind of want people to move a little faster, as I have waited since Sunday for the save. I just played my turn and was thinking once every four days could get tedious.

Naervod, from my experience, with 8 players you will be lucky if you manage to do better than 1 turn per week. I think that 8 players are too many for a decent PBEM game - it could potentially take 540 weeks to complete, and I don't think too many people will be playing Civ 3 in 9 years time!

I will be gone until Saturday and therefore be unable to play until I get back, so I urge to take as much time as you want in your turns this week, so I don't keep you waiting too long.

There is a big storm in the DC area so my flight got pushed back a day. I am still coming home on Saturday.

Hopefully I can get the game and play it by tonight so I don't keep you all waiting.

As I'm sure you have read from the related e-mail exchange, this game will continue to be played as v1.14f until all players have access to the v1.21f patch.

If you need to create two distinct installations of Civ3:pTW on your PC, please follow these directions:
  1. Copy the entire CIV3PTW folder to some other directory (perhaps C:\), and rename the copy (perhaps as "CIV3PTW v1.21f").
  2. Uninstall Civ3:pTW and restart your computer.
  3. Reinstall Civ3:pTW.
  4. Download the v1.14f patch from here.
  5. Install the v1.14f patch.[/list=1]This way when you launch Civ3:pTW normally, it will pull up as v1.14f. When you want to play v1.21f, browse to the copied directory you made and launch "Civilization3X.exe" (the executable). You can also create a shortcut to this file on your desktop; just be sure to label it as "v1.21f".

Note that even when using two distinct installations, your default Saves folder will always be in your Civilization III\CIV3PTW folder, and **NOT** the copied folder you made!

This may sound complex, and I apologize for the need to do this. If you have any questions or need any assistance, please ask - I will do my utmost to ensure that this is as painless as possible for you, and that this game survives.

heihojin

Top Bottom