Annoying end war requests by AI

AlextheGr8

Warlord
I've taken 2 cities, surrounded a 3rd, and the AI comes at me with a request to end the war, all they ask is all my gold, resources, and a few cities. What do they look at when demanding to end the war? It's annoying when they know they should be begging me for mercy.

I've taken 2 cities, surrounded a 3rd, and the AI comes at me with a request to end the war, all they ask is all my gold, resources, and a few cities. What do they look at when demanding to end the war? It's annoying when they know they should be begging me for mercy.

Odds are their army is still bigger than yours. Your point is more of a complaint than a bug.

If they only go by that then it's more of a bug than a complaint. I take 3 of their cities and they demand everything I own just to make peace?

If they only go by that then it's more of a bug than a complaint. I take 3 of their cities and they demand everything I own just to make peace?

That's their calculation if their estimate of their overall strength - size, units, gold - is greater than yours. They aren't taking into consideration that you're a better tactician.

This part of the AI code is in the game core only Firaxis has access to. There's variables to adjust it... but it's over three hundred poorly-labeled variables... which makes it hard to hit the goldilocks zone of "reasonable demands." I chose to lean a bit on the side of "too demanding" rather than "not demanding enough." AIs that give too much away can make the game very easy.

This part of the AI code is in the game core only Firaxis has access to. There's variables to adjust it... but it's over three hundred poorly-labeled variables... which makes it hard to hit the goldilocks zone of "reasonable demands." I chose to lean a bit on the side of "too demanding" rather than "not demanding enough." AIs that give too much away can make the game very easy.

And on the plus side, I haven't had an AI give me 14000 gold in many versions now.

The problem with number of troops is the AI always outnumbers me, but for the most part I am far more advanced. Sure you have 20 more units than me. But i'm sitting here with artillery and soldiers, good luck with your pikemen and archers lol. AI should look at unit strength, they only seem to look at numbers.

Problem is that the AI's troops numbers are not equal to yours.

If the human and AI both have the same numbers of troops then the Human will win almost every time, even when there is a tech discrepancy in the AI's favor.

If the AI's tactics were equal to that of the human players they would be justified in their beliefs that they still have a chance to pull one out of their perverbial butts. But until that time it's more of a crapshoot as to when they should throw in the towel.

What would you do if the AI managed to take 3 of your cities? Assuming you don't shut the game off you would fight like hell! And not stop until every last one of them was shmooched under foot.

I am actually impressed with the Ai's tactics for the most part. Their only faults are waging war over water, and proper use of artillery. They do flank and come in numbers and if you are not prepared they can wipe the floor with you. But I think in the end just comparing numbers isn't right, number of troops mean nothing, it's all about the quality. I have artillery and soldiers and you have double the number but Pikemen and Archers. Obviously they have no chance vs me.

AlextheGr8: The vanilla game already makes some attempt at weighting advanced units more. The "Active duty military" statistic in InfoAddict reflects this, as do such algorithms as the peace offer AI.

Top Bottom