• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Another Interview with Sid Meier; CivRev Victory Conditions

Ginger_Ale

Lurker
Retired Moderator
Just days after Sid Meier's ten question interview with GameDaily, there is a new question and answer session, this time on Gamespot. This more lengthy interview focuses about equally on both Civilization Revolution and Civilization IV: Colonization, and it also mentions Sid Meier's recent honor in the Guinness Book of World Records. Here is what he had to say about Colonization and how it differs from previous Civ4 games:
We're completely redesigning the in-game interfaces from the city screen to the main screen, which will result in a completely new look and improved functionality...Colonization delivers completely new graphics, along with enhanced water, new unit shadows, updated terrain and city buildings, and a higher resolution on all assets to give them a more crisp and defined look.

Also, be sure to read about the four victory conditions in Civilization Revolution on this page on the official website, where you can see an overview of each type as well as advice from members of Firaxis, including Sid Meier himself. The various screenshots have been added to the Gallery too.

For those that are curious, here's one last excerpt from Sid's interview to ponder:
GS: Have you decided on your next project after Civ Rev?

SM: Yes, and that's all I'm allowed to say right now.

Colonization delivers completely new graphics

Has he even seen the screeshots of the game. The graphics are new but not completely new. In fact some of those ships look like they came from a Civ 4 mod.

I think they do not want to waste any more time on graphics for Ci4:Col. Important think in all civ/col games is game play. But when we examine graphics of Civ-Rev, we see that they spent a good time for graphics of that game. I cannot imagine how they can advance these graphics in the future. This difference can be occured because of difference of target players.

Requires Shader 1.1, he said.

Near as I can tell, if your graphics card runs DirectX 8.1 or better, you should be set, but I couldn't figure out where to find a master list of cards with this feature, so there's no telling if that $3000 computer you just bought can play this game (just like mine couldn't play EU3; WTF?!?)

Can someone knowledgable in the ways of the GeForce tell us what we need?

Never mind what the marketing machine is saying. Graphics does not gameplay make.

Not that I mind, the gameplay of Civ4 is excellent. Kudos for whomever that stood up against the PR goons and insisted the game shouldn't just be called "Sid Meier's Colonization" (glossing over the fact it isn't a new game engine).

A final BtS patch wouldn't hurt, of course. Can we look forward to a "civilization mod" for the Colonization game? :lol:

Top Bottom