1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Antarctic Late Summer Patch Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Aristos, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Weraptor

Weraptor Chieftain

yes

2. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

And how do you gain access to the aforementioned resources?

Phoenix1595 likes this.
  3. criZp

criZp Warlord

IZs get adjacency from mines that can be on any hills, and quarries that go on bonus and luxury resources, adding a few more strategic sources on the map to put mines on has no significant effect. Oil is also discovered too late for it to affect harbor placement, and it is only +1 gold anyway.

"AI will trade their resources away", "just settle some remote city", these are options that won't work when you play against human opponents (actually good opponents, not dumb exploitable AI) intent on denying you the resources.

I am NOT asking for more resources to flood the map, I am asking for a more even distribution.

wanting resources to be evenly distributed is an OPINION, not an argument.

that's cute, coming from the one whose "strategy" depends on dumb AI trading away their strategics.

4. criZp

criZp Warlord

you mean the fish and crabs and hills that are all over the place from the start?

5. Takfloyd

Takfloyd Chieftain

This is a stupid discussion, let's get back on topic please. I'm done.

6. Kwami

Kwami Warlord

OK, but IZs also get bonuses from mines that don't have Iron, etc. The post that I quoted was just wrong.

Elhoim likes this.
  7. Ondolindë

Ondolindë Warlord

:lol:

8. Pietato

Pietato Warlord

UI have adjacency bonuses as all.

9. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

AFAIC.. there's an option called "Start Position -- Balanced".. which is the closest thing to a somewhat "More Even Distribution" as you'll ever get.

Although.. the Detailed Worlds mod (( https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1657281010 )) has a very specific algorithm just for that purpose too, btw.

10. Wingednosering

Wingednosering Chieftain

Trade bug fix + great customer support? Purchased! I look forward to trying the expansion tonight.

azhskr and acluewithout like this.
  11. criZp

criZp Warlord

12. Josephias

Josephias Chieftain

Well, there is a reason resources appear before the units that need them. I admit it is a small time window, and you may be out-teched, of course, but there it is. Aside from having to resort to “regular” non-resource units, too. (And pillaging the resources your enemy has before conquering them, too). That’s what strategy is about.

You coud also tell nobody shoul run to far away in the tech tree, as to recover you may need to work or reduce its research power by resorting to war, and he has stronger units because he is several techs ahead. Of course, and indeed, this becomes boring and frustrating sometimes, but other times leads to very satisfying and remarkable underdog epics. For me, this increases considerably the game replayability.

Of course, there are things that can be improved. With numeric resources, pillaging could give you some amount of the strategic to keep you going, maybe it could be worked on too if you could scrap some resources from killing units that use them (maybe via military policy or other enabled ability).

@heinous_hat has a point resoure clusters are more of a problem in small maps than in bigger maps where you have more places to expand (note that, barring exceptions, late game strategics tend to appear in zones with not that big appeal for settling: desert, tundra, ocean) and more trading partners. So I concur with him that maybe adjustments should be considered depending on map size, and also an advanced setup scroll would be neat).

From there to shouting everyone in the face this is a gamebreaker problem that needs to be solved asap there is a stretch, tough.

13. criZp

criZp Warlord

Is that what you call it when everyone starts to mass reply to a comment I made to a dev?

14. Pietato

Pietato Warlord

I invade for oil and uranium all the time.

15. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

You're posting an opinion on a public forum, you have to expect people to react to it if they do not share that opinion, especially if it may affect future patches.

And you need to understand that what seems to be "better" for you may be "worse" for others.

King Rad and Josephias like this.
  16. criZp

criZp Warlord

that was not really what I commented on.

I understand that very well. Again, I just asked the dev a question, it was the other guys who made a circus out of the comment.

17. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

You've asked this:
    People asked you, rightfully, what you did mean by "better", because "actually distributed" or "heavily localized" are not "better" or "worse", just different, each solving some problems and creating some others.

As for the developers intend, the code don't lie, and the code is visible in the ResourceGenerator.lua files present in the vanilla and the DLC/Expansion2 folders.

That part of the game is fully moddable, it wouldn't be difficult to make the map generator handle Strategic Resources like Bonus Resources, or to make a different code to place them perfectly evenly.

Elhoim and Josephias like this.
  18. criZp

criZp Warlord

I asked for better distribution and specified after that I meant more even, fair distribution.

This is good, I was not familiar with this, but will look at it. Thank you for pointing it out.

19. heinous_hat

heinous_hat Chieftain

@criZp

I didn't mean to step on your question, or anything like that. I was genuinely curious why you thought the resource clumping was a bad idea, since it does generally have a positive effect on play.

As it turns out, you're coming from a multiplayer perspective, and I think you have a legitimate point, that just needed to be clarified. MP certainly will have different balance concerns, and it's reasonable to ask for some map setup options to address that, beyond modding.

Meluhhan likes this.
  20. S1AL

S1AL Chieftain

Yup, multiplayer has different concerns because you can't count on "The AI is a cheating moron incapable of playing the game past Medieval".

criZp, if you're interested in a mod for multiplayer shoot me a pm and I can direct you to a few possibilities based on your specific concerns.