[GS] Antarctic Late Summer Patch Discussion Thread

I'm visiting the lands of Tomyris now and going back home on Tuesday. So I'd like to ask you guys which is your opinion about civ6 after Antarctic Summer Patch and hotfix have been issued. Does it worth to start a serious game? :)
yes

No, they don't. Industrial Zones get +1 bonuses from mines and quarries and +0.5 bonuses for adjacent districts. Harbors get +2 bonuses from city centers, +1 bonuses from coastal resources, and +0.5 bonuses from adjacent districts.
And how do you gain access to the aforementioned resources?

Every Industrial Zone gets adjacency bonuses from iron, coal, aluminium and uranium, and Harbors get adjacency bonuses from oil. All strategic resources also give tile yields.
IZs get adjacency from mines that can be on any hills, and quarries that go on bonus and luxury resources, adding a few more strategic sources on the map to put mines on has no significant effect. Oil is also discovered too late for it to affect harbor placement, and it is only +1 gold anyway.

As for difficulty of obtaining resources, AIs will always trade away theirs, and there are always alternative units to use if you lack a resource and want to go to war to get it. There's usually also late-game resources in unclaimed territory near the poles that you can settle if you need them.
"AI will trade their resources away", "just settle some remote city", these are options that won't work when you play against human opponents (actually good opponents, not dumb exploitable AI) intent on denying you the resources.

If you want more resources on the map, there are absolutely mods that do that.
I am NOT asking for more resources to flood the map, I am asking for a more even distribution.

The only one who has no valid argument here is you.
wanting resources to be evenly distributed is an OPINION, not an argument.

It seems like you just don't want to encounter hardships in the game, in which case lowering the difficulty is an option.
that's cute, coming from the one whose "strategy" depends on dumb AI trading away their strategics.

the hansa is the only district that get higher adjacency from more resources in the map, and that's a unitque district affected by bonus/luxury resources and com-hubs as well, hardly much of an argument.

UI have adjacency bonuses as all.

This is the real problem with resource distribution. Sure, it'd be nice if a player without Niter would go and take some Niter from the guy that has it. In practice, though, the player with Niter is going to have stronger units than the one without and war is almost a non-starter. Instead, the player without could try to trade for some Niter. But, the player with would probably be smart not to trade away that Niter. So, if you're lacking a critical strategic resource, you usually just have to wait until the next era and hope that have you the next resource. Every Civ game has been like this, though.

Isn't there an option to evenly distribute resources during the advanced game setup screen? I can't check from work.

Well, there is a reason resources appear before the units that need them. I admit it is a small time window, and you may be out-teched, of course, but there it is. Aside from having to resort to “regular” non-resource units, too. (And pillaging the resources your enemy has before conquering them, too). That’s what strategy is about.

You coud also tell nobody shoul run to far away in the tech tree, as to recover you may need to work or reduce its research power by resorting to war, and he has stronger units because he is several techs ahead. Of course, and indeed, this becomes boring and frustrating sometimes, but other times leads to very satisfying and remarkable underdog epics. For me, this increases considerably the game replayability.

Of course, there are things that can be improved. With numeric resources, pillaging could give you some amount of the strategic to keep you going, maybe it could be worked on too if you could scrap some resources from killing units that use them (maybe via military policy or other enabled ability).

@heinous_hat has a point resoure clusters are more of a problem in small maps than in bigger maps where you have more places to expand (note that, barring exceptions, late game strategics tend to appear in zones with not that big appeal for settling: desert, tundra, ocean) and more trading partners. So I concur with him that maybe adjustments should be considered depending on map size, and also an advanced setup scroll would be neat).

From there to shouting everyone in the face this is a gamebreaker problem that needs to be solved asap there is a stretch, tough.

Is that what you call it when everyone starts to mass reply to a comment I made to a dev?
You're posting an opinion on a public forum, you have to expect people to react to it if they do not share that opinion, especially if it may affect future patches.

And you need to understand that what seems to be "better" for you may be "worse" for others.

You're posting an opinion on a public forum, you have to expect people to react to it if they do not share that opinion, especially if it may affect future patches.
that was not really what I commented on.

And you need to understand that what seems to be "better" for you may be "worse" for others.
I understand that very well. Again, I just asked the dev a question, it was the other guys who made a circus out of the comment.

I understand that very well. Again, I just asked the dev a question, it was the other guys who made a circus out of the comment.

You've asked this:
are you guys working on a better map distribution of strategics?

View attachment 522528
People asked you, rightfully, what you did mean by "better", because "actually distributed" or "heavily localized" are not "better" or "worse", just different, each solving some problems and creating some others.

As for the developers intend, the code don't lie, and the code is visible in the ResourceGenerator.lua files present in the vanilla and the DLC/Expansion2 folders.

That part of the game is fully moddable, it wouldn't be difficult to make the map generator handle Strategic Resources like Bonus Resources, or to make a different code to place them perfectly evenly.

You've asked this:

People asked you, rightfully, what you did mean by "better", because "actually distributed" or "heavily localized" are not "better" or "worse", just different, each solving some problems and creating some others.
I asked for better distribution and specified after that I meant more even, fair distribution.

As for the developers intend, the code don't lie, and the code is visible in the ResourceGenerator.lua files present in the vanilla and the DLC/Expansion2 folders.

That part of the game is fully moddable, it wouldn't be difficult to make the map generator handle Strategic Resources like Bonus Resources, or to make a different code to place them perfectly evenly.
This is good, I was not familiar with this, but will look at it. Thank you for pointing it out.

@criZp

I didn't mean to step on your question, or anything like that. I was genuinely curious why you thought the resource clumping was a bad idea, since it does generally have a positive effect on play.

As it turns out, you're coming from a multiplayer perspective, and I think you have a legitimate point, that just needed to be clarified. MP certainly will have different balance concerns, and it's reasonable to ask for some map setup options to address that, beyond modding.

Yup, multiplayer has different concerns because you can't count on "The AI is a cheating moron incapable of playing the game past Medieval".

criZp, if you're interested in a mod for multiplayer shoot me a pm and I can direct you to a few possibilities based on your specific concerns.

Top Bottom