Any News Of Apolyton?

Nothing on their Twitter account. Not even a maintenance sign.

Oh no.. what if the Mayans were right, and Apolyton saved civilization as we know it?

Still down. I am on the Apolyton team in ISDG. Hopefully it is a temporary maintenance issue.

Apolyton appears to be down again. Is this maintenance once a month or something?

This was posted by Robert Plomp yesterday.
downtime notice

We were down for about half a day b/c our hosting provider had closed our account for security reasons.
They had reasons to believe that someone was having fraud access to our environment. Things have been straightened out and are fine again.

I thought it would be a good idea to post an update about this downtime to satisfy your inquiring minds.

I just tried going to apolyton.net..did not connect, any news?

Thanks

Gramps

Site went down yesterday evening AFAIK. Surprised there isn't a fresh thread here.

Haven't heard anything about either the downtime cause or projected online return...

Looks like it was hacked by BeLegit... hopefully we'll get some news this evening.

I tried a back door, and it looked really ugly. It has definitely been hacked - hopefully they have a full back-up somewhere. :cry:

Looks like it was hacked by BeLegit... hopefully we'll get some news this evening.
I had never heard of BeLegit (maybe I heard the name once or twice but had no idea what it was) before this incident. Why would that website hack Apolyton? Or are you saying it was just one user from there? Why would they do this? Just to take the website down? For fun?

It seems like Apolyton goes down a lot... is Apolyton a target for this sort of thing? Why? Does anyone know why Apolyton is being singled out?

I tried a back door, and it looked really ugly. It has definitely been hacked - hopefully they have a full back-up somewhere. :cry:
^This.

Even if one hates ACS without let or hindrance, and even if this was done randomly and there is no danger to other forums in the Civ family, the loss of 'poly's content would be a DISASTER for everyone.

-Incidentally, someone took a screenshot, and I'd img link despite the ascii gesture portrayed, but there's a NSFW term on the page, too. Just go look.

Several years ago, when the 'poly archives were being removed (they were later restored), someone saved their contents here. I also saved about 250 strategy threads from the SMAC archives. At the time, Martin Gühmann told me that it would be OK to post them if and when they disappeared from 'poly.

Should I be concerned about checking by to see if it's fixed yet? It just strikes me that a hacker putting a virus on a hacked homepage could happen, though I've clicked on nothing and gotten no intrusion attempt notices from my firewall...

Top Bottom