Any news on the Fall Update?

Martinus

Emperor
Are there any news on the Fall Update / DLCs for Mac OS?

I gotta say the level of support from Aspyr is getting weaker and weaker. I could understand the delay of the Summer patch, as it was a holiday period etc., but four weeks during a "work year" is atrocious.

If Paradox can develop their Mac OS support in house and keep it on par with the Windows support, surely Firaxis could do it too (I doubt there are fewer people who play Civ VI on a Mac than there are people playing Stellaris). .

I think there is more to revise since people are having problems with the new OS and civ VI. First priority should be to fix that.

Can anyone recommend some Paradox games? I'm really starting to think I'm done with Civ. Firaxis just isn't what it used to be.

Can anyone recommend some Paradox games? I'm really starting to think I'm done with Civ. Firaxis just isn't what it used to be.
Did you try Endless Legend? I prefer that one to the Paradox games actually. It has many flaws, but I think less than civ VI - and EU IV has enough flaws as well imho (and is way too expensive). I always felt that history games by Paradox are most fun when roleplaying.

I started playing EU4 while waiting for last DLC. It's an excellent game - but of course pretty pricey...

The Paradox games are great for roleplaying.

The Endless games are better if you enjoy the exploration aspect and fun battle scenes.

Ultimately, it's your choice.

Endless Space 2 is the most "just one more turn" game I have ever played. It's in about the same part of its life cycle as Civ VI, but the AI really knows how to fight. It has a steep learning curve, though and it's very hard to figure out just what's going on much of the time. Worth a look.

Endless Space 2 is the most "just one more turn" game I have ever played. It's in about the same part of its life cycle as Civ VI, but the AI really knows how to fight. It has a steep learning curve, though and it's very hard to figure out just what's going on much of the time. Worth a look.
Endless Space 2 is a very deep 4X game that I would recommend as well. Its dev team is very communicative and has numerous content updates as well, some of which are decided by fan votes.

It's owned by Sega now.

I'm wondering if the Fall update is being held up by the need for High Sierra compatibility.

I'm pretty sure that's the hold up. It's been over a month...
Does anyone know what they changed in Sierra that could cause so much trouble? Any other games having problems?

The problem is the new file system that Apple implemented (APFS). I moved my game files over to an SD card that is Mac OS X Extended format and have had no issues.

Latest bad news on the Fall update from Aspyr on Steam:

Aspyr-Blair [developer] 16 hours ago
El Bart 0:

I realize there are difficulties in the process. Been there, done that, know how much it sucks. Do you at least have a target date that Aspyr is driving toward, or is the bug tracker still so backlogged that its 'eventually'?

We are doing everything we can to get this out before the break. I'll be the first to admit however that Jan is a real possibility due to pretty much the entire industry shutting down mid/late Dec.

More info from Aspyr-Blair:

"Thanks for the understanding. To be clear, 2K/Firaxis make a crazy strong effort to get us stuff asap, and in most cases we get it quite a bit before launch. There is just no easy button. Game development and native port work from DX11 -> OGL/Metal and Linux is sometimes extremely challenging. This is especially true for x-plat (Homeworld Remastered is a great example...it was mathematically impossible to make x-plat work)."

Why do they still use Aspyr? Why don't the do this in house? Why does Amplitude have Mac stuff ready close to, or on day one?

Why do they still use Aspyr? Why don't the do this in house? Why does Amplitude have Mac stuff ready close to, or on day one?

I have asked the same question. Paradox is another developer who manages to have simultaneous Windows and MacOS (as well as Linux) updates done in-house - and they are certainly not larger than Firaxis. It's really unbelievable.

Mac users still waiting on fall patch, meanwhile, we will announce the newest expansion pack Rise and Fall. Mac users will be waiting how long for this release? When I started playing Civ back in the Civ 2 days through Civ 4, I used a PC. I get a nice MBP from work every two years, so I decided to switch to Steam when Civ 5 came out and use my Mac. I'm considering switching back to PC.

Mac users still waiting on fall patch, meanwhile, we will announce the newest expansion pack Rise and Fall. Mac users will be waiting how long for this release? When I started playing Civ back in the Civ 2 days through Civ 4, I used a PC. I get a nice MBP from work every two years, so I decided to switch to Steam when Civ 5 came out and use my Mac. I'm considering switching back to PC.
Ever tried Bootcamp? Or parallels? I haven‘t used them in many years, but afaik it works fine.

Top Bottom