Any of you take actual racial prides into these games?

Untill now, I have only chosen my CIV based upon its traits. I want to give all combinations a try, so nothing based upon "racial prides". BTW I think the question should refer to national pride instead of racial.

So, with CIV3 i am behaving as the well thinking non-chauvinistic cosmopolitan person I would like to be. But.... when i will have conquests this might change as I am sure the first CIV i will try will be the Dutch.

It's just a game. I play based on traits, or just at random. Although, there ARE civs I like to wipe off the map. (Zulus being #1 ever since Civ1 when they got too powerful once too often).

Originally posted by SuperBeaverInc.

Actually no, Finland is not a part of Scandianavia. Scandianavia is Sweden, Norway and Denmark.

That's right. And some leave even Denmark out, since only Sweden and Norway are located on the Scandinavian Peninsula.

Culturally and linguistically we Finns have very little in common with both Sweden/Norway and Russia.

Back before Civ3, I would pick a civ based on it's colors and city names. In my mind, some kind of names are easier to think about than others, so I can keep better track of the civ. I've always started out playing America, tho. Those city names are easiest for me.

To some degree, I still have that mentality. Sometimes I'll raze a city cuz I don't like the name. Silly, as I can rename it. But ever since I got to Warlord level, I've been picking Civs based on their attributes, not what civ they are. (Okay, I still don't play the French, but that's because I don't like their color. . . )

Originally posted by sir_woland

That's right. And some leave even Denmark out, since only Sweden and Norway are located on the Scandinavian Peninsula.

Culturally and linguistically we Finns have very little in common with both Sweden/Norway and Russia.

Are you saying that we Danes aren't part of Scandinavia?

Take your empty threats elsewhere, sir_woland or prepare for WAR

:p

Would the Finnish UU be a "sauna monkey"? ;)

meh, i'm Scottish, German, and English but i don't like playing as the Germans of English

I played as random from when I got the game on...

Nations have to earn how I look at them every new game! Reality or older games don't carry over to the one i'm playing.

By the way, I play with color-blind-help on. When playing with 31 civs and all this brownish yellowish colors around and names of cities you never heared about that has become a nessecity to tell who's who...

Originally posted by sir_woland

too get back on that again :p
geographically, finland is part of scandinavia :p

just not ethnically :p

No Ukrainian Civ.. but I love to mass Cossacks and ravage cities as the Russians....

mwhaha

This thread reminds me of something a friend told me. He was playing Civ II in class on his laptop and the Chinese were annoying him, so he's sitting there on his computer muttering things like "Damn Chinese!" and people were looking at him funnily. Wish I could have been there.

You ever get so mad at another civilization you shout out racial slurs? Haha.

i am hispanic, though ive never been Spain, Portugal, the Aztecs, the Maya, the inca or the Americans. Why? I dunno, never interested in there UUs. If i was racial about this game, id be an Iranian because im mostly the Persians.

Originally posted by TheEndIsNear
This thread reminds me of something a friend told me. He was playing Civ II in class on his laptop and the Chinese were annoying him, so he's sitting there on his computer muttering things like "Damn Chinese!" and people were looking at him funnily. Wish I could have been there.

You ever get so mad at another civilization you shout out racial slurs? Haha.

LOL:lol:

To answer the original question, when I first got the game I played a couple games as Americans in a sort of nod to nationalist pride. Since then I strictly choose based on traits and UU. My favorites are probably Egypt, Greece, the Ottomans and the Aztecs.

Well... I am an American. So, I like to play America and pretend President Bush never existed.

As well, I love France because of the country's real history and people. Yet, in a game, I still seem to relate the two. I guess it is easier for me to do such since I usually always play on an Earth map with ALL civs and in their respected starting locations. As well, using King units as for a little fire in it all. Nothing like watching Joan of Arc kickin' some barbarian butt.

And finally China... I just couldn't resist even the thought of commanding computerized AI chinese boys around... oh so yummy.

I've always played a civ based on two things: their civ traits and their UU. I try to mix it up every game and choose a civ I haven't yet played just to keep things fresh.

My girlfriend did give me a strange look the other day when I was fighting a particularly difficult war against the Chinese and Japanese. When I shouted out "Bloody Orientals, now you're all gonna die!!!", she stopped what she was doing and came over to see what was going on. Since she is from the Phillippines, she thought I was talking about her friends. I've had to keep my rants to myself ever since.

Top Bottom