Any one else getting world builder not responding?

They just updated Steam today, and guess what? No fix.

Moderator Action: Merged threads with the same topic.

There are reports on the 2k forums that direct links to start CiV in DX10/11 mode (ie without going via the initial pop-up selection menu) were broken by the last Steam upgrade. WB uses those shortcuts to start CiV as a background process.

Seems that Steam breaks like that about every 6 months - you'd think they'd add it to the list of things to QA before releasing 111Mb of (unasked for) download!

I was wondering why my shortcut stopped working.

Possible work around for windows 7 users: run Civ V, Civ V Launcher, Mod Buddy, World Buillder in compatbility mod for xp sp3.

I haven't tested it out myself, but somebody on the steam fourms says it works.

EDIT: Other possible solutions:

* Start World Builder -> It is blocked on Loading screen
* Open a Command Prompt (Windows 7: Windows Menu -> cmd.exe)
* Type cd C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam
* Type steam.exe -applaunch 8930 \dx9 -Nexus 4320
* After few seconds/minutes World Builder will unfreeze

====

1 launch windows task manager (keyboard azerty -> ctrl+alt+del)
2 exit steam
3 launch SDK world builder via the exe in the steamapps civ 5 SDK folder
4 it and steam should load

EDIT 2: The last one seems to work for a lot of people. You can view the thread here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/8930/discussions/0/882966056463177513/#p3

EDIT 3: I can confirm the last method works for me. Windows 7.

Now, can anybody tell me how I am supposed to make one of those mega huge maps like the earth ones? Isn't the limit in the worldbuilder smaller than that?

World Builder Editor tool or just load the mod through the mod loader menu.

Huh?

Just go to the steam folder in program files/(x86/64/ or whatever) steamapps, civ 5 sdk, worldbuilder, then look around the folders there for the exe. Make sure you quit steam first.

On a cautionary note, this is the main reasons why I run steam in offline mode exclusively and only log on to get updates/patches as I like to control when I get them.

Of course this advise does not help those who care for multiplayer and achievements.

Just wanted to thank those who looked into it and updated this thread with fixes/work arounds.

I tried the compatibility mode one with no luck the other night. After seeing the other options I will try those either tonight or tomorrow.

Cheers

Huh?

Just go to the steam folder in program files/(x86/64/ or whatever) steamapps, civ 5 sdk, worldbuilder, then look around the folders there for the exe. Make sure you quit steam first.

Seems to work for me. Thank you :)

I found a temporary fix on the 2K site. You have to backdoor through the x86 file on your computer: (from the 2K site as follows)
1. Exit steam from task manager (I just ended the steam.exe process)
2. Navigated to the SDK directory (I have windows 7 64bit, this is the file path on my machine):
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V SDK\WorldBuilder\x86
3. Double clicked the WorldBuilder application to launch it

It worked for me the first time but, the second time I had to restart my computer to get it to work again. Hope this helps and I hope they get this fixed. A lot of trouble for what should be a simple mouse click !!!!

By the way I have Win Xp and it also worked.

I've been able to confirm you only have to exit Steam before launching World Builder. You can launch World Builder the regular way, no need to navigate directly to the executable. You can also exit Steam just by right-clicking it on the taskbar.

There is a bug is how WB is checking for Steam connectivity and doesn't seem to be aware of Steam when it's already running. Will also work in Offline Mode if you have no Internet connectivity. This works for me every time on Win 8 Pro x64.

How do you we get WB to work again? Since the last update it does not work. ModBuddy Nexus and Firetuner work just not WB. Frickin steam, what a waste of time they are.

Moderator Action: Merged with thread already on this topic.

Hey there,

I left a comment last night in the larger thread about this.

There is a bug in how WB checks for Steam connectivity. If you exit Steam before running WB the normal way it will work. If for some reason you don't have Internet connectivity just close Steam first and run it in Offline Mode when it asks. This works for me every time.

Top Bottom