Anyone else never use Slavery?

When I play to win by any means, I use slavery, police state, theocracy and I war for 90% of ~6000 years of gametime. When I play to satisfy my personal ideologies I can only win through culture. History's a brutal thing.

Wow, the amount of people who avoid Slavery for moral reasons really surprises me. I kinda got the impression everyone here was purely "industrialist". :mischief:

Not that I object. I think we need to remember that some people play Civilization to play Civilization, not a mathematics equation. Nothing wrong with roleplaying and incorporating beliefs and ideals.

I've got no moral hangups with civics because when I play I enjoy taking on the role of a fascist police state just as much as some philosophically liberal democracy. It's all history, and I like experiencing multiple perspectives. So, I use slavery occasionally and sometimes not at all. Definitely comes into play with imperialistic civs. I also tend to use it for wonders I'm iffy about reaching in time. After all, you can't really argue with this:

Spoiler :

Does anyone roleplay to play the most barbarically and brutally to the other AIs?
Especially after a stressful day?

Oh man, that would be great. You'd have a Peace Advisor that helps you launch pre-emptive peace (i.e. wars). Slavery would be called Freedom, and whipping would be called Soul Liberation. The war negative would read as:

-8: We have always been at war with the Zulus!

+10: We've always been at peace with India!

The religions would all be replaced with Ingsoc, Death Worship, and Neo-Bolshevism.

Does anyone roleplay to play the most barbarically and brutally to the other AIs?

Yes. I also went on a streak of playing the English, after watching Code Geass, and renaming conquered cities "Area 1", Area 2, and so on.

I think I established the Spanish Union and went on a spree of conquering cities, destroying holy cities, purging the heretics, and since I eventually had built Cristo Redentor, Ii even developed a habit of whipping the cities before reverting back to serfdom, loving those cities often with half or even a tenth in several cases of their original population.

Then again, I've been semi-decent. In one game, there was one part of the world that was constantly balkanizing and eventually, I stepped in and capitulated everyone in that region. I consider myself a saint for establishing world peace (given that four world wars had started to same damn fool thing in the "Balkans" since the advert of knights).

Count me in with the role-players. I like to immerse myslef in something fun, I don't normally run slavery. I eventually learned to try slavery after a team game in MP. I've played mods, Hitler makes a great whipping boy. Sometimes I play the hero, sometimes I try to walk a mile in another man's shoes. Sometimes I take out my frustrations on an A.I enemy. Sometimes I try to run my entire continent the way I think it should have been/should be.

Do whatever feels right for yourself. It's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game.

I guess technically...I mean um...I'm always running something like that "role play". Yes, role play...acting it out.

I find the inclusion of slavery and whipping obnoxious and wish they had provided other means. Perhaps raising the dead as zombies to work the fields? Maybe ice cream and cake instead of whipping! But we are stuck with what we got. And we have what we got because ... well ...

When Civ 1 came out, the manual included with the game led me to become interested in history. For starters, I read H. G. Wells wonderful book, The Outline of History. Then I went on to Arnold Toynbee and the works of Barbara Tuchman. And historical novels by James Michener and others. I think Sid Meier would have been pleased if he had known and would have forgiven me for taking all that time away from playing his games to read.

I found the history of civilization both fascinating and horrifying. How we got where we are is a story as frightening and eldritch as any ever written by H. P. Lovecraft. Slavery and whipping, torture, human sacrifice, wars, genocide ... oh, and in our idle moments, be sure to slaughter all the animals we can, chop down the flowers, and hack down the forests.

Is this all somehow justified in an end we cannot as yet foresee? Or has the entire historical process been only a nightmare, a cruel and meaningless tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury; that leads nowhere but back to the nothingness and the void from which we came?

I have never used slavery because of the fear of losing population and the associatedd long term production. It has nothing to do with morality, but only my interpretation of the game mechanics. I have been teaching my two sons Civ. One of them has very recently tried slavery as a civic and is becoming rapidly addicted to its power. Now, I am no longer the evil emperor of Civ in the house. And if I don't watch out, he is going to start surpassing me in skills and levels. Yikes!

I found the history of civilization both fascinating and horrifying. How we got where we are is a story as frightening and eldritch as any ever written by H. P. Lovecraft. Slavery and whipping, torture, human sacrifice, wars, genocide ... oh, and in our idle moments, be sure to slaughter all the animals we can, chop down the flowers, and hack down the forests.

Is this all somehow justified in an end we cannot as yet foresee?

Bah, so Earth is a violent place; it's got life on it. Humanity also has a capacity for compassion and love that you won't find among any other species.

At the same time humanity is committing "horrors", it's feeding pets, planting gardens, and preserving environments with radical fervor not for any practical reason, but out of emotion. What other animal species exhibits that kind of behavior? But they sure commit the same relative horrors when they're killing each other for food, space, and mating partners in a blind adherence to instinct.

If I'm having a stressful day, I don't think I would be playing Civ4 lol. But if my enemy and I are continents apart, then I will launch a capture-raze campaign.

For the Greater Good!

Bah, so Earth is a violent place; it's got life on it. Humanity also has a capacity for compassion and love that you won't find among any other species.

Agree with the total sentiment of your post above. Disagree on the part where you imply that the homo sapien species has a monopoly on capacity for compassion and love, or even if you meant that we have a greater capacity compared to all other known species.

So, I went "berserk". I had four or five cities that kept revolting to try to join America. Eventually, I let them so there were 2 turns of revolt. During this, I declared war and razed all the cities.

All of them.

Funny thing about fantasy and reality.

Back when my son started playing Warcraft II, I wasn't enthusiastic about the bloody way the characters died. I almost fall over laughing about that with him now (he's 25). Not only did I get over it, I became a Warcraft II fanatic, getting on the slippery slope that got me here to CIV 4 fanaticism.

But the thing is, if you want to fight and kill in real life, you have to put some distance between you and the enemy or you can't do your job. People criticized those gunship guys in the recent video who wiped out the group on the ground in Iraq because they were talking as if it were a video game...but that's a damn good way to put fear at bay and get the job done...unfortunately it can be the wrong people in the gun-sights.

The main thing, I think, is to avoid the game making you angry or frustrated so you want to take it out on somebody. There has to be an on/off switch in the head, just like on the PC itself.

But the thing is, if you want to fight and kill in real life, you have to put some distance between you and the enemy or you can't do your job.
This is why I suggest the Geneva conventions be revised to ban gunpowder, and all ranged weaponry of any kind. I think it's a crime against humanity to feel you have the right to kill someone without looking them in the eye.

But they call me crazy.

This is why I suggest the Geneva conventions be revised to ban gunpowder, and all ranged weaponry of any kind. I think it's a crime against humanity to feel you have the right to kill someone without looking them in the eye.

But they call me crazy.

You underestimate how far lethal projectiles can travel. You would have a hard time banning rocks :rolleyes:. Look up how people used to use slings! But even thrown rocks are pretty impressive.

And things like gas/explosives don't require looks in the eye either, and are unfortunately very easy to produce and use if one doesn't care about the consequences.

But they call me crazy.

Yes you should only be allowed to kill someone by strangulation and watch the last few seconds of life extinguish out of their bodies as you cackle at their...

I mean yes they should make ranged weaponry illegal. Totally. :lol:

So, since this stupid post is still thriving, I thought I would throw out another moral issue to tangle with...
If you don't use slavery, do you use Serfdom? Caste System? Both treat other people poorly... I recommend not using it.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Moderator Action: Please don't Flame
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Top Bottom