Anyone playing RoM with a new CPU?

Ariminio

Chieftain
Anyone played RoM with the new I3-I7 or Phenom II CPUs? How many seconds are your turn times in the late game, when the map is filled and everyone is churning out units?

-small map
-large maps
-huge?

For me with a core2duo on 1.86 GHz it is too long to even count or play anymore at that stage of the game, we're talking minutes here. I wanna play it till the end, without delays, like Master of orion 2 or Colonization 1! I'm wondering if it makes a big difference or if todays computers are still not good enough for civ4.

Civ 3 is single core only, so number of cores won't help the turn loading times. They help indirectly though, in that the remaining cores can run the OS while one runs the game itself.

Civ 3 is single core only, so number of cores won't help the turn loading times. They help indirectly though, in that the remaining cores can run the OS while one runs the game itself.

Yes that is established, but still they are running above 3 GHz on the single cores and are new technology, so they should improve turn speed, or was that your way of gently saying "NO,I7s still suck at civ4".

Yes that is established, but still they are running above 3 GHz on the single cores and are new technology, so they should improve turn speed, or was that your way of gently saying "NO,I7s still suck at civ4".
If you can get one at 3GHz then it will be better. Becides Civ 5 will need a dual-core.

Anyone played RoM with the new I3-I7 or Phenom II CPUs? How many seconds are your turn times in the late game, when the map is filled and everyone is churning out units?

-small map
-large maps
-huge?

For me with a core2duo on 1.86 GHz it is too long to even count or play anymore at that stage of the game, we're talking minutes here. I wanna play it till the end, without delays, like Master of orion 2 or Colonization 1! I'm wondering if it makes a big difference or if todays computers are still not good enough for civ4.

I've played on a Phenom I Quad Core, and that made a world of difference. It was only 2.6GHZ, but turns never were longer than a minute on that beast... (although, I never tried a Gigantic map)

Well, I have I7 860 quad core CPU now but I haven't played the game very far with it yet. I do play a game on gigantic map, snail speed and 30 civs on it though. I'll see how it goes when map gets populated later in game but so far no speed issues.

I have played on 4 computers to date. Turn times were always an issue, I had never gotten much further than industrial, except a few times where I was VERY patient. Things got better for me with my laptop, which is inferior to my desktop in every way except for the graphics card, which has 2X the VRAM. I don't have the patience to give the exact details of all the computers as I have stressed over this issue for years and my conclusion is turn times are directly proportional to the quality of your video card.

with two or more cores and the core that Civ IV is running on by itself, you shouldn't have problems, BTW your core2duo in the Civ IV specs is weaker than my Pentium 4 :lol:

So far RoM and AND are running faster on my new 2.6 GHz Core2 quad then on my 3 GHz Pentium 4.

So far RoM and AND are running faster on my new 2.6 GHz Core2 quad then on my 3 GHz Pentium 4.

That's because Civ gets 2.6 GHz devoted to it

i have an i7 home pc and an i5 laptop. Cant notice any real difference from the pentium 4 i used up unti the end of last year

i have an i7 home pc and an i5 laptop. Cant notice any real difference from the pentium 4 i used up unti the end of last year

what's your clock?

i play on huge maps with 50 civs well into modern/future ages. with the new rig turn times are very acceptable (1 min or so max) throughout. i7 920 without overclocking. 6gb ram

Top Bottom