1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone use forts?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by doctorfork, May 28, 2011.

1. doctorfork

doctorfork Chieftain

I never see them. At all. Not from AI, not from other players-and certainly not from me. I never really used them in Civ4 either-except to allow sea passage.

I can't really see any use for them-unless maybe if they made their bonus apply to all units in a one tile range-like a stationary mini GG. Maybe I'm just not deploying them strategically?

2. TopGearFanatic

TopGearFanatic Duke of St. Louis

I'll use them at chokepoints

3. Keejus

Keejus Prince

Most players play at a level where an AI's invading force never really is a threat. If defensive combat were harder, I could definitely see a use for them. It also hurts that fortified units don't exert a zone of control, so there's little incentive to attack a fort unless it's at a chokepoint.

4. Save_Ferris

Save_Ferris Admiring Myself

Why build a fort when you can build a farm? If you have to build a fort to survive, you've pretty much lost.

5. Kerosene31

Kerosene31 Prince

I will build them when I have a worker doing nothing sometimes. If there is terrain that your cities won't be working and there is a civ nearby it doesn't hurt to build them just in case. I don't believe they cost any maintenance, so as long as a worker is doing nothing anyway why not build them? They are always a low priority to other tile improvements, but eventually you will have a worker with nothing to do.

6. The_Quasar

The_Quasar King

exactly, and it's also something that's worth building in the 4th and 5th tiles out from a city, especially when you're playing ICC, and even more especially when towards the end you're likely to be out-teched.

7. Uniform Sierra

Uniform Sierra Warlord

I use them at choke-points or for a ranged unit I keep in defense. They're very useful though.

8. Hrimfar

Hrimfar Chieftain

I never use them because the graphic is hideous!

9. Sparthage

Sparthage Fighting Tyranny

I use the fort only on chokepoints, even then, it's iffy on if I'll even build one.

10. bryanw1995

bryanw1995 Emperor

I don't think it's fair to say that you'd never need one, I've successfully used them a few times. Usually if I'm that hard-pressed I'll use one of my GG's to make a citadel, however.

11. Babri

Babri Emperor

I've used them few times. Once I was playing as Aztecs, Tiny Map & 18 civs ! Since I was constantly at war with whole world, I had to build few forts in order to defend against hordes of enemies. In the end I defeated about 10-12 civs. The rest were small ones so I quit the game.

12. bryanw1995

bryanw1995 Emperor

According the 275 patch release notes enemies will target units defending in a citadel. Has anybody noticed if they also target forts now?

13. turtlefang

turtlefang Warlord

Seldom. If a good choke-point exist (say in a mountain range) I will build one. I have noticed that other countries units CAN'T/DON'T move over your fort it its occupied, so that makes it useful sometimes to force them to go the "long way around" if the terrain right.

Of if I'm getting spammed with lot of units and have on a couple of defenders and need the extra defense, I'll build one - and then convert the hex to a productive square latter.

But I would guess, at most, one (average) to three (at most) a game.

14. Helmling

Helmling Philosopher King

While you're right that I wouldn't waste a potentially productive tile on a fort, they can be useful at strategic choke points at the periphery of your territory--particularly if on hills that can be supported from the rear by artillery. They are not, admittedly, as useful as their CIV counterparts.

15. Randall Turner

Randall Turner King

A lot of times after I reach the Modern era I'll be waiting for the AI to catch up in tech so we can have a fun world war. Right around then I'll start looking around for likely defensive spots and pop up a few.

(Late game, if you've got strong culture cities you'll also have a good sized "halo" of tiles too far away to work, but within your boundaries.)

16. M_Sparkle

M_Sparkle Chieftain

When building up especially doing a one city challenge for a culture win I build them in defensive spots all round the city for when the AI decides to race through to my one city just before I win. Nothing worse than a few policies from winner and a strong AI decides to invade.

17. mythmonster2

mythmonster2 BEC NOIR! RUN!

As most others said, only at chokepoints. If they could function as canals like they did in 4, that'd make them much better.

18. swmaniac

swmaniac Warlord

1) Tile is outside of a city's workable radius (> 3 tiles).
    2) A border tile with a hostile(could war at any time)/at war Civ.
    3) Strategic point.
    4) Snow (can't build any other improvements except roads).

19. TPQ

TPQ Cogito Ergo Civ

I've built them. Like others have said, choke points. That, or if I do an OCC I put them on my borders in-case any AIs start to get any funny ideas.

20. UrbanX

UrbanX Absolute Monarch

citadels I find are very useful at times. forts I have no use for.