AppCrash error in Windows 7 Ultimate

Matty R

Veteran Newbie
Hello

I've just started getting an AppCrash error whenever I launch a single-player game, but it didn't happen last night.

I've launched alot of games testing my XML alterations, and they've all been fine. I finished my alterations last night, launched a game to test them then switched off.

Today I've gone to start playing a game, without making any additional alterations, and I get the AppCrash error. I've had a runtime error aswell, but only once.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Civ4BeyondSword.exe
Application Version: 3.1.9.0
Application Timestamp: 4a0c27e6
Fault Module Name: python24.dll
Fault Module Version: 2.4.1150.1012
Fault Module Timestamp: 424a51b6
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00080548
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: 8485
Additional Information 2: 84853502223d8164a31468861a7c3d71
Additional Information 3: a4ea
Additional Information 4: a4eacf9d27e5ee8cb3a70ac0035eb8ab

I've attached two DxDiags. I ran the first one, saved it then noticed an option to run "DxDiag 64-bit", so I did that aswell.

I'm still running as administrator, and the UAC is still disabled.

Can anyone help?

Thanks. :)

EDIT

This may have something to do with the "Lock Modified Assets" option in Custom Game. I can get into the game without problems if I don't have it checked, but it fails every time if I do have it checked.

Maybe it's caused by all of my alterations.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    25.4 KB · Views: 152
  • DxDiag64.txt
    30.9 KB · Views: 153
does this happen with your modifications or wthout them or both?

Both (with and without modifications), every time I activate "lock modified assets" and launch a new game.

for what its worth: the error is a memory access violation error, reasons for this cover pretty much everything that can be wrong with a computer, so its not terribly helful
:mischief:
if its related to lock modified assets though I'd suspect something wasn't right with the permissions for save game writing: is the my games\ folder write protected by any chance?
Edit: oh: and try this without having an antivir program running at the same time (off course while not being connected to the web ;))

The folder properties says "read only". Is that write protection?

Spoiler Image :

yeah, uncheck that (make sure it sticks - i.e. restart the computer and check that its still unchecked) then try the game. There is another folder with the game cache in
\application data\my games\ that might be read only as well. (sorry I do not know the exact path on 7 since I don't have that...

I've unchecked the Read-Only bits of the folders in My Games and the cache in AppData, but it still crashes with the Python error.

I could always not use Lock Modified Assets, though it would be nice to have the option. :)

I don't think I'll track down this problem. I don't think it's worth the effort.

Thanks for all your help though. Not just for this, but for all of the times in the past. :)

Hello

I've just started getting an AppCrash error whenever I launch a single-player game, but it didn't happen last night.

I've launched alot of games testing my XML alterations, and they've all been fine. I finished my alterations last night, launched a game to test them then switched off.

Today I've gone to start playing a game, without making any additional alterations, and I get the AppCrash error. I've had a runtime error aswell, but only once.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Civ4BeyondSword.exe
Application Version: 3.1.9.0
Application Timestamp: 4a0c27e6
Fault Module Name: python24.dll
Fault Module Version: 2.4.1150.1012
Fault Module Timestamp: 424a51b6
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00080548
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: 8485
Additional Information 2: 84853502223d8164a31468861a7c3d71
Additional Information 3: a4ea
Additional Information 4: a4eacf9d27e5ee8cb3a70ac0035eb8ab

I've attached two DxDiags. I ran the first one, saved it then noticed an option to run "DxDiag 64-bit", so I did that aswell.

I'm still running as administrator, and the UAC is still disabled.

Can anyone help?

Thanks. :)

EDIT

This may have something to do with the "Lock Modified Assets" option in Custom Game. I can get into the game without problems if I don't have it checked, but it fails every time if I do have it checked.

Maybe it's caused by all of my alterations.
Check what is in your Custom Assets folders, and make sure there isn't some errant code in there. Something that you've altered in XML is causing a Python error. I believe that using Lock Modified Assets keeps some things from Custom Assets from loading. As Ori said, the game will also choke if it can't write to your documents folders and to AppData, which is why we need to always launch as Admin.

Check what is in your Custom Assets folders, and make sure there isn't some errant code in there. Something that you've altered in XML is causing a Python error. I believe that using Lock Modified Assets keeps some things from Custom Assets from loading. As Ori said, the game will also choke if it can't write to your documents folders and to AppData, which is why we need to always launch as Admin.

I get this error with the original XML files, so I can only assume it's a write error. I'll keep looking through the documents folders. :)

Top Bottom