[BTS] Error at "Setup Map" Causing Game to Crash

cooldude1128

Prince
This is a problem I've been having since I swapped out my graphics card, and at first I had pinned it on the new card until I switched to a third card and kept experiencing the same problem, and it's very curious because only a couple people seem to have had the same error. When I launch Civilization, everything works up until I try to load a game or create a new one, whereupon the bar inevitably freezes on the "Setup Map" phase and then crashes with a generic Windows crash window. This is the error that the "More Details..." dropdown gives me, and as far as I'm able to figure out is the only information I can get out of it.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Civ4BeyondSword.exe
Application Version: 3.1.9.0
Application Timestamp: 53869b61
Fault Module Name: Civ4BeyondSword.exe
Fault Module Version: 3.1.9.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 53869b61
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00065d0f
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 8485
Additional Information 2: 84853502223d8164a31468861a7c3d71
Additional Information 3: f2c9
Additional Information 4: f2c943ec402c88d561e5aba0c386fb88

This happens both on vanilla and on every mod that I've tried, from Fall From Heaven to Planetfall. The game is essentially unplayable for me, so I would love to get advice on how to fix it, or even where to start.

Edit: It should be noted that I've already tried reinstalling BTS, and that I'm using the Steam version.

Last edited:
I've gotten a new card now; a Geforce GTX 1050 Ti. The problem still persists, so I no longer believe it can be caused by poor hardware.

@cooldude1128 For some reason I felt like taking a look at the tech subforum today.

The problem mainly lies in the fact that pretty much most mods will not work with the regular Steam version of IV as initially installed. Reason is Steam jacked up the assets (namely the DLL) when the transition over the MP some years ago. After pushback, Steam created an "original_release" beta version of all IV version, that reverts this back. So you will need to go to BTS in your Steam library >right-click>Properties>Beta tab> from drop down select "original_release_unsupported.."

I will also suggest a couple of other things that help, if you don't do this already:

1) Always run BTS from the executable, not from the Steam library.

2) If running Win10, I would also run the game as administrator. Right-click the BTS executable>Compatibility tab> select "run as administrator" checkbox. Also, from this same screen, I recommend running compatibility for Win7.

Top Bottom