Appreciation Thread

lymond

Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!)
Hall of Fame Staff
I just wanted to shout out to all the devoted and generous strategists on this forum for all your input and assistance for inept players like myself. Not sure if this is mentioned enough, but it helps tremendously.

I've owned CIV4 plus expansions for at least a couple of years, but primarily played scenarios and FFH. Even then, I didn't really use any strategies. Builds and teching usually consisted of something to the effect of "Oh! Well that looks cool!". Things like building wealth and research were way out and all I thought about was getting as many hammers as possible. (Cottages! We don't need no stinkin' cottages!) Now I'm actually thinking about what I'm doing and trying to learn and play the game the way it was meant to be played. I've only been paying attention to the strategy forum for a little over a month and I'm already kicking it on Noble. I'm actually starting to win on Noble even earlier than the year 3000AD:D (actually, last couple of games I'm getting victories prior to 1900s which is a huge step for me.) I owe it to you folks. Thanks again!

One of the great things about this forum - the learning continues even when you've been playing awhile. I've been playing two years, steadily moving up the levels, and still just learned that building wealth is better than research when you have libraries and no commerce multipliers. Felt pretty stupid for not learning it before, but glad I learned it now - it does make a difference.

Never would have picked it up without the forum.

thanks TMIT....you're one of them ones I've learned from

This place is great. I've been lurking here a long time. I rarely have the time to play a full game of civ but I love reading game writeups by the really good players around here.

What's scary is, that does *not* get you onto the 1st page in terms of post count :eek:!

How do you see who has the most posts? I didn't realize there was a tracker on number of posts.

Sometimes I wonder why I only have 800 or so - seems like I post a lot more, but must be a lot of lurking too, I guess.

Yes this place is amazing, I think I went through and read every deity walkthrough theres been since I got the game 2-3 months ago, soon I plan on making the jump myself. Though I had some Civ I and Civ III experience, I went from below Noble to Emperor in a month, and being overwhelmed on Immortal to feeling pretty comfortable in a short time after that... and its all due to the fantastic guides and walkthroughs. I think up to emperor should mostly be credited to the guides, above that I think the walkthroughs are the most important tool in improving. Some of them are 2 years old and still educational to this day. I hope one day I could leave a small legacy to help people myself (if I start getting deity victories... likeliness may be low), but I'm pretty lazy and would have to learn quite a bit about posting up screenshots and the sort :blush: Or maybe I could write a guide on how best to improve by using other guides and walkthroughs :lol:

And a lot of credit should go to the game itself, so many different strategies are available and can be used effectively at any difficulty, and even different victory types to choose from. And map types! There are still tons of play-styles and strategies to be seen, and this forum is the center of it all. How cheesy am I :sad:

And a lot of credit should go to the game itself, so many different strategies are available and can be used effectively at any difficulty, and even different victory types to choose from. And map types! There are still tons of play-styles and strategies to be seen, and this forum is the center of it all. How cheesy am I :sad:

Good point. I didn't have the same appreciation in the past of this game - not that I didn't love it - but I played it completely different. As mention, I played the scenarios which often don't make use of the traditional victory conditions or fantasy mods. I think folks that don't like CIV - and there are some - don't realize the complexity and diversity found within the game. I came to realize this not too long ago when lurking on this board.

Interestingly, I just hit the esteemed "Warlord" level creating this thread. Man, I'm somebody now.

Absolutely fantastic forum! i have owned the the game since July 2007 but as at July 2009 i was playing on Warlord level and not winning consistently :blush:
Now i am playing on Monarch and actually have a clue about what i am doing.
So definitely a huge thank you to everyone :goodjob:

Haha this is a wonderful forum!! Everyone is very helpful and kind, and most of the time you get your answers in a pretty speedy manner as well. It's nice to see such a big community of people enjoying the same game as you and helping each other improve anyway they can whether it's raising your skill level or just learning to beat some crazy variant you thought up. Go CivFanatics!

Fact- Civ Fanatics know everything

Fact- "Gold will make it so that you don't need a unit in the city at 5 or 6 pop- i think the city does not go into unhappiness"- i croaked at a freind who had the game on his screen and showed me his start

Hear Hear

Without this forum I'd still be playing on prince, wondering why Monte DoWs me out of nowhere. Or maybe I would have given up on the game totally and bought ETW (Steam, yeuck !).

Fact- Civ Fanatics know everything

Yes, but their knowledge of the game exceeds their knowledge of retrievable filing :D

I love these forums as well... although things have become a little quieter and I almost miss the holy wars about the one true playstyle.

There are some very good players around, many are willing to put in a great amount of effort into helping other improve and - the rarest thing of all - most people are mostly courteous most of the time :)

So when do we take over the world?

*SNIP*

So when do we take over the world?

That's the problem. People here are nice and courteous. Those kind of people will never take over the world. They are too nice and are happy with sitting at home after work and enjoying a game of CIV4... ;) And those who actually log in here and give advice to newbies (such as me)... Well, I think that's considered pathetic by "alpha (fe)males"... :)

Top Bottom