Arabic translation for CIV V G&K

faio

Chieftain
Hello,
I've decided to translate the game into arabic, the arabic is written from right to left and it uses arabic alphabet which is a non latin here an exemple. (read it from right to left)
الحروف العربية
BUT I'm facing a HUGE problem, because when I change just the <text>...<text> thing in arabic the game shows nothing ( I did a test with city names). I'm a mising something?
Or the game doesn't support the non latin languages?

PS: the other unchanged values "TXT_KEY_...._...._...."
I did everything in the official localization wiki for CIV V (adding a language table, adding a font that support arabic language, changing the defaut language to arabic, EVERYTHING).

Help me please in this task. :)

The game supports non latin languages, as there are Japanese, Korean and (I think) Chinese versions. Modding in another language seems to be a large project, and I would recommend looking at some other versions first or the guide at the 2K Games wiki (although I'm not sure how up to date this is) found Here

thank you for your response
I've managed to translate to arabic (the characters show correcly).
since arabic is written from right to left, I want to allign the long entries like the loading text for leaders right to left to avoid adding the [newline] every single time the "correct" line ending in arabic ends. because if I leave this as it is (without [newline]) it will cause the text to be in complete disorder and in the wrong allignement.
I found CRLF in text XML file.
How can I modify the xml file to force the text to be alligned right to left?
Thank you.

What are you actually trying to align? The text inside the xml files, or the text on the Civ screen.
XML is just plain text with some tags. No matter what alignment you can have with watever text editor you use, it's the CiV engine that needs to know what to do with the text in the end.

It would be interesting to look at some of the eastern localisations. Those should, i think be written top-to-bottom. It would be interesting to see whether they have some special tag.

Does someone have access to those languages?

it's the CiV engine that needs to know what to do with the text in the end.

It would be interesting to look at some of the eastern localisations. Those should, i think be written top-to-bottom. It would be interesting to see whether they have some special tag.

Does someone have access to those languages?

interesting, can you tell me where is that CIV engine?
PS: I have only the english language. and I think that none of the eastern languages are written right to left.

The standard Civ languages are German (DE), English (EN), Spanish (ES), French (FR), Italian (IT), Japanese (JP), Korean (KO), Polish (PL) and Russian (RU) and according to various web sites (eg http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-scripts) all of these can be written left-to-right, so it wouldn't surprise me if Civ can only handle LTR languages.

I also wouldn't expect the text files to include LTR or RTL info but the UI, as it is the UI elements that have to correctly align and wrap text - and there appears to ne nothing to that effect in the Interface setup screen nor the actual UI controls.

Actually, thinking about it, if that info is anywhere it should/would be in the Languages table, and that table has no such entries.

So you're probbaly out of luck on auto-justification/alignment

thank you whoward69
That's what I sadly discovered. Not only in CIV but in every other game, the support for right to left writing in absent. The only thing that bother me is that fire axis claims to have a full extensible game, but it's only extensible with Latin characters and languages who have the same system. If I were fire axis and want to sell the game in a wide range of countries, I would locate the game in Arabic or simply put a tiny script to allow the Arabic language to be properly written. because there is a majority of the population is young and very involved in new techs and gaming.
In MENA region, the gaming is more and more popular. So I don't understand why the companies ignore that region.

Top Bottom