1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

ARCHIVED: Discussion Topic - Technology

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Steampunk Scenario' started by KingArthur, Oct 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey Archon Without Portfolio

I can't get my head around what is in mind for Teleforce & Mechatronics - so I don't know what direction to go in thinking about icons.

2. KingArthur

KingArthur Searching for the Holy Grail

These links might help
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromechanics
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teleforce

In game terms:

Mechantronics allows the construction of Electromechanical Computers (with similar effects to a Research Lab in the vanilla game). Here's a pic of a typical example, the Harvard Mark I: http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/93/23593-004-D5156F2C.jpg.

Teleforce allows you to build Plasma Cannon (Tesla Death Ray) units. Here's a cool pic but it doesn't fit the unit very well: http://www.crystalinks.com/tesladeathraytower.jpg. The unit we have just now is NavyDawg's Plasma Cannon (I'll need to dig out the link).

3. Balthasar

Balthasar Wise Man

Now that I think about it, perhaps Mechatronics isn't the right name for this tech. Perhaps Electro-Mechanics or Electro-magnetics might be more descriptive.....

Mechatronics sounds like the science of building Mechas - huge two legged robots with an operator inside.

4. Blue Monkey

Thanks to you both. That's clear enough that the visual bloodhounds of my mind have got the scent.

5. KingArthur

KingArthur Searching for the Holy Grail

I think Mechatronics is simply shorthand for Mechanical Electronics but I take your point. Electro-mechanics is less likely to confuse.

6. Moosezilla

Moosezilla Grognard Warlord

:crazyeye:I'm not sure if this is the right thread,but all of them are fun so...Re: Time Machine: Having it as a victory condition? let us say that this (T.M. as S.S.V.C.) is a good idea as whomever finds "it" first would be able to "win". In another scenario a "time Machine" wonder is able to bring back a T-800 terminator every 20 turns. Later in the same scenario you can build T-1000's. While I see the VC as logical I also miss the idea of time paradox. With the idea of earlier prototypes having limits (as the above T.M. does) couldn't you include one (prototype) as a wonder and expand the V.C. to a Tardis like Dr. Who? And of course my "fun stuff" here is asking stupid questions and expecting not stupid answers.;)

7. Moosezilla

Moosezilla Grognard Warlord

I'm wondering about gaseous resources like helium. Where could one find images? Oh yes, last impurity is usually neon.

8. Balthasar

Balthasar Wise Man

Moosezilla: Adding the time machine as a VC was the only way to get that important H.G. Wells invention into the game. The only real downside is that now I have to break the time machine down into ten different and distinct parts that all fit back together when built. Not as easy as it sounds, it turns out.

As to your helium question: I'm not sure why you ask, but it did inspire me to post all of the Lost Worlds resources (finally) in the WIPs and static graphics thread here. Go look; helium is one of the strategic resources. Let me know if that answers your question.

9. Blue Monkey

I thought Helium was the city-state where Dejah Thoris was an imperial princess.

10. Bowsling

Bowsling Deity

11. Blue Monkey

Moderator Action: All the threads in the steampunk subforum are temporarily closed while we reorganize. Expect a reopening of a new, organized improved version soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.