ARCHIVED: Discussion Topic - Unit Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's Count Orlok alright. Well, we can't leave that alone, can we? Now we have to decide how to use him. He could be:

1. A precursor to Dracula, i.e., without Stealth.

2. A "flavor" alternative to Dracula; i.e., what the Blackcoats or Gothic Union build instead of Dracula.

3. A stand-alone Special Unit that appears either before or after Dracula.

4. A "flavor" alternative to Carmilla Von Karstein.

Personal Opion: since Orlok can paradrop and Dracula can't, I favor making him a separate stand alone unit, perhaps in the second era.....

I'm glad I updated the master units list so that you guys can help with this decision.

I like Blue's suggestion for a standalone unit for the Gothic faction. I liked this bit of the wikipedia article that you pointed us to Balth which would make this creature more a foot soldier than a special one off.

Although based upon Count Dracula, Orlok possesses none of his predecessor's aristocratic charm or seductiveness. He resembles something between a rat and a spider and is much more analogous to historical folklore accounts of vampires... In terms of horror movie stereotypes, other vampires based upon this character are creatures bordering between a vampire and a mutant

Well then, we could make Orlok available with Sick Asylum Districts as a Special Unit for the Gothic Union, but he would have 2/3 the strength of a normal Special Unit (i.e., 8/8 rather than 12/12) and no stealth attack.
Lightbulb (maybe a dim one)! Give him the hidden nationality flag. That way he's got something a little special. But the way the AI likes to go after h.n. units reminds me of the whole "villagers with torches & pitchforks" thing.

Lightbulb (maybe a dim one)! Give him the hidden nationality flag. That way he's got something a little special. But the way the AI likes to go after h.n. units reminds me of the whole "villagers with torches & pitchforks" thing.

That would be a fun m-unit. Months ago someone was discussing making multiple - era protester units, but the idea never got picked up. Shame.

brrghghgh!! Back to this: yeah, h.n. makes sense.

Seeing a mix of different creators' farm/peasant units made into a multi would be interesting. Maybe a version with one of the clergy leading the way.

We've never had proper clergy units, really, aside from an odd assortment of monks. I'd like to see some real clergy - a bishop, certainly, but also a parish priest, even a rabbi.

found another Deja Thoris.. but she's not red enough for my liking

Spoiler :

Unfortunately the artist gave her a belly button. Why? martians are all hatched.

True. Of course I'm familiar with those, but I'd like to see someone actually make a Christian Bishop one day to fill in the line. Besides, it would do wonders for my chess set.
I think you mean a Roman Catholic bishop. Orthodox bishops are also Christian.

Spoiler :
Bishops (etc.) of both oriental churches associated with the Roman Catholic Church and those of various Orthodox churches wear vestments similar to the priest units linked to. Here are some photos of various metropolitans, patriarchs, etc. covering everything from the Mediterranean to Russia to India:

found another Deja Thoris.
Unfortunately the artist gave her a belly button. Why? martians are all hatched.
Ummm, that's the scar left from when her egg tooth fell out? :p But seriously folks, while there is no umbilical cord, there is a chalaza.

Ummm, that's the scar left from when her egg tooth fell out? :p But seriously folks, while there is no umbilical cord, there is a chalaza.

Yeah, you've got to compromise on the chalaza button and the mammaries too, else she'd end up looking like the Man Who Fell to Earth. My take is that, the Barsoomian Tree of Life legend notwithstanding, all Solar System humanoids have a common ancestor, possibly from an (unknown) Earth civilization that existed as much as a hundred thousand years ago. We have egg-layer DNA (see Sagan: The Dragons of Eden) in us; it only had to express itself in the Barsoomians, leaving mammaries as vestigial organs. Of course, to say that Barsoomian mammaries serve no purpose is assumptive: peacocks don't need big feathery displays either, but they serve a purpose in sexual selection....

I think you mean a Roman Catholic bishop. Orthodox bishops are also Christian.

Yes; Roman Catholic, Anglican, Episcopalian, Lutheran, etc., etc. - perhaps the term Western-style bishop (with miter, usually red vestments, etc) would be more exact....

I apologize if I came across as pedantic or argumentative. My motive was to avoid another creative thread getting derailed by lurkers who suddenly become OT flamers.

Back to steampunk - how are we doing on filling the gaps?

You guys still have GAPS?? :eek: I'm not even officially part of the SPG ("Steam Punk Gang") and my requests alone have led and/or are leading to 4 steam tanks (kudos to Wyrmshadow) and enough airships to make Michael Moorcock blush (kudos to tom2050)!

:hammer2: ,

Oz

You guys still have GAPS?? :eek: I'm not even officially part of the SPG ("Steam Punk Gang") and my requests have/are leading to 4 steam tanks (kudos to Wyrmshadow) and enough airships to make Michael Moorcock blush (kudos to tom2050)!

:hammer2: ,

Oz
Maybe you're the one with the proper pull to get a proper thark made.

Back to steampunk - how are we doing on filling the gaps?
I have my two exams next week, so after next Thursday/Friday you get your Barsoomian airship project started. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom